Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Which one? Walbro 255 HP, DW300, Aeromotive 340 Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2011, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The DW pump may last in E85...however it does not include current OEM specified fuel pump design upgrades required for E85/flex fuel production vehicles. So, I would question it being advertised as 'E85 compatible'
Old Mar 23, 2011, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Slobwalker
I drifted over here from the supraforums and was shocked at all the Walbro users. We have a very high failure rate and most use the durable OEM denso pumps. I will be going this route when needed but was curious if others have used them on their own setups...
Denso pumps are great, however they are too big to use in our OEM hangers as a single or dual intank configs...
Old Mar 23, 2011, 08:39 PM

Exclamation Testing - DW vs. 255

This link shows some testing results of a modified Walbro comparing it to the un-modified DW factory pump testing results.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/8881817-post37.html
Old Mar 23, 2011, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kyooch
i had a walbro - switched to dw300 cuz of the walbro's whine - haven't driven the car around yet though
You didn't enjoy the whine? JK .
Old Mar 23, 2011, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Thanks for everyone's input! I think I can make a better decision if I knew modding the Walbro is safe (I get that it will safely supply fuel for my whp goals of 450, but I'm talking safety). My son's car seat sits in the middle of the back seat. I'm sure you can understand my concerns. With that said, all the searching I've done, I can't find anything saying that this (modding the walbro) is dangerous.
BTW, I don't drive too aggressive with my son in the car. I wait until after I drop him off at preschool.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
Originally Posted by 10isace
Thanks for everyone's input! I think I can make a better decision if I knew modding the Walbro is safe (I get that it will safely supply fuel for my whp goals of 450, but I'm talking safety). My son's car seat sits in the middle of the back seat. I'm sure you can understand my concerns. With that said, all the searching I've done, I can't find anything saying that this (modding the walbro) is dangerous.
BTW, I don't drive too aggressive with my son in the car. I wait until after I drop him off at preschool.
i'm serious about the whine though - i was one of those people that i thought wouldn't care about a little whine or whatever.. it gets to you after a year or two
Old Mar 24, 2011, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
i'm serious about the whine though - i was one of those people that i thought wouldn't care about a little whine or whatever.. it gets to you after a year or two
I never hear mine, but maybe that's cuz my exhuast and stereo are too loud!
Old Mar 24, 2011, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
i had a walbro - switched to dw300 cuz of the walbro's whine - haven't driven the car around yet though
Crap! I never thought about the whine. I hate whining, even the word annoys me. However, I love the air intake, turbo and exhaust. I don't like the drive train noise due to the stage 4 clutch.

When are you going to drive your car around on the dw300? I was going to order today, but I can wait another couple of days. I'm eager to get switched to e85!
Old Mar 24, 2011, 05:46 PM
LCS
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I went DW300 route because I can´t handle the whine of the Walbro. I have one on my VW GTI and it´s awfuly loud. I know it won´t be that loud on the Evo, but it will still whine.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
Originally Posted by 10isace
Crap! I never thought about the whine. I hate whining, even the word annoys me. However, I love the air intake, turbo and exhaust. I don't like the drive train noise due to the stage 4 clutch.

When are you going to drive your car around on the dw300? I was going to order today, but I can wait another couple of days. I'm eager to get switched to e85!
i heard it's near silent - car's not got the rear diff in it right now, waiting on a few things so i'm not sure when i can give it a spin - i've been assured it's a HUGE improvement and like I said near silent - not near silent by evo driver's standards, near silent period lol.

there was an official thread going that had more info - basically you're not gonna hear the thing.. with the walbro, esp cuz of the pitch, i could hear it over everything
Old Mar 24, 2011, 07:21 PM

I installed my dw300 about a month ago, it's way quieter then the walbro. I actually don't even hear it with the radio off and the car idling. I used to hear the walbro while standing next to the car.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

My Walbro was a constant pictched whine that could be heard inside and outside the car over the engine/exhaust. My DW300...I could distinguish the sound of it barely when I still had the seat out and turned the ignition to prime it, but with everything put back together I can't distinguish the sound it makes over the rest of the car noises.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed a set of Torque solutions aluminum driveshaft carrier bearing bushings and the whine from my walboro went away.... Now I just hear my drivetrain over the whine.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 06:55 AM
Former Sponsor

That's one way to do it, Tommi. lol
Old Mar 25, 2011, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is the DW301 FP much better then the DW300 FP ??

Quick Reply: Which one? Walbro 255 HP, DW300, Aeromotive 340 Fuel Pump