Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Fix My ACD Problem and I will pay you!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2011, 03:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fix My ACD Problem and I will pay you!

ALL three lights come on after about 2 minutes of driving.

I made sure it was full on fluid
I bled the system
I checked for loose connections

I took it to the dealer: Dealer says that when I removed the clutch restrictor that it may have caused the problem, however it didnt start happening until 1 week later.

Dealer checked pump and it responds to commands.
Dealer checked for loose or broken wires: none
Dealer pulled the code dtc 82 - electric pump relay system

I am really at my wits end and hope that the someone out there can tell me the secret of fixing this. I just cant pay every mitsu dealer in town to tell me to put the restrictor back to stock.

If you give me the vital info I need to make this work: I will make it worth your while through paypal.

06 GSR

TIA
Old Mar 23, 2011, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Codes 81 and 82 refers to the pump isn't building the expected Pressure.

1. Pump IS running, but makes not enough pressure
possible reasons: Internal pump air Bubble.
Drive the Pump Motor direct from Battery ( red is positive ) until the pump "screams". this is the overpressure check valve.
After that, bleed the ACD again
Always take care that the reservoir is almost 1/2 inch above full level.
After bleeding, wait for 2 hours ( do not drive ), then level to FULL
this will solve the "full drained" pump problem
check that the pump is sucking fluid from the reservoir during running.

2. Pump does not run:
Check the Fuses at the positive battery pole, one may be damaged
Check it this way. Ignition on,do not start AND Leave drivers door OPENED, or window at least!
only one light should be there ( if not, disconnect the Battery for 1 minute, then reattach, TAKE CARE DOOR IS OPEN because after reconnect the door can be locked if key is in on position)
now there should be the ACD have only one light.
Cycle power, do not start!
wait 5 seconds,then floor the throttle and hold it there.
Now, the pump should start ( you will hear it in quiet area )
If it doesnt, check fuse, check Relay at left side of the Firewall beside ABS system.

3. Check the outside of the Pump. If corrosion is visible ( aluminum is dark grey, sand look, with white salty dust on it ) its likely that the internal parts of the pump failed due to this corrosion.
If you would be in Europe, it would be possible to repair it.
I am maybe the only Person worldwide which has done more than 90 Pumps until now.Its an common problem in Germany.

steffen
Old Mar 23, 2011, 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
I've heard and read multiple stories about the ACD pump failing. Its more than likely the pump.
How did you bleed the system?
Old Mar 23, 2011, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

Steffen,

Thanks I will try #1, I can hear the pump running. The dealer said it took commands. But I am betting that is no indication of pressure. I live in high salt environment so #3 is also possible

I will PM you if #1 works

for wht95scort:

theres a bleeder on the xfer case by the downpipe. Turn the key on (dont start car) have someone step on the gas and hold, you will hear the pump run, crack the bleeder, close the bleeder. foot off gas and repeat a few times.

Steffens power mode above sounds aggressive but I am going to try it.

Steffen there is no way the relay is a little bit bad is there ? My lights only come on after 2 minutes or so. is there there a way to test the relay ?
Old Mar 23, 2011, 06:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
If the pump runs then it cant be a relay issue. Its possible you have corroded wires. Disconnect the plug for the pump and check the pins both male and female. It would look a greenish turquoise color if its corroded.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 03:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
If you try to hard wire the pump ( number 1) let it run for maximum 40 seconds.
If the pump doesnt scream until that, its most likely that the number 3 is happening ( pump doesnt get enough pressure)

inside the pump is an pressure sensor, so the ACD ECU know exactly what pressure is built up during normal operation, and throws an code 81 or 82 .

After the Number 1 hardwire, you may have to disconnect the battery a few seconds to clear all ACD codes for start of the regular bleeding process.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 06:00 AM
Evolving Member

My lights do the same exact thing

It started to happen while cranking the engine during a jump start
Old Mar 24, 2011, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My ACD lights have been on as well. I haven't had a chance to go to the dealer to have the code pulled since my car has been sitting in the garage since november. Would driving the car with the acd lights on damage the system or any components?
Old Mar 24, 2011, 06:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive had all 3 acd lights on since last april/may (dont remember exactly) and tried to figure out how to get them to go off but nothing worked. Everything with the acd works correctly and have had no issues driving it around...would be nice to get them to go off though just so i dont have to look at it.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 06:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Same deal over here, code # 82.

I have an edm evo ix, full AYC system. Car has 24k kms (15k miles) on odo, a clutch change was done a couple thousand miles ago, 3 ACD lights a couple of day ago. Since the AYC/ACD system was bled while jacked up with engine running (the improper way to do it), I suspect an air bubble build up.

Waiting for MUT III tool to bleed it properly, will let you know on the outcome.

If anyone has a working combo of evoscan/tactrix cable to bleed EDM cars then please kindly let me know, a lot of people have been struggling over here with the issue.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most likely your pump is shot and can't produce the pressure required. I had this same thing happen to me. Code 82. I went in the classifieds section and bought a low mileage ACD pump from a southern car for $300. Took about an hour to install and all problems were solved. MUCH better than dealing with the stealership. Those pumps are junk and it looks as if they didn't update them on the X's either. Lots of failures popping up there too. -1 for Mitsu quality.

This spring I plan on making an enclosure for the pump on my X. Obviously the exposure to winter elements and salty roads lead to their early demise. Reducing that effect can only be a good thing.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

from what i've read other people experience has been that the pump is not that easy to break up, since it's a pretty much regular oil pump. although as i understand it's trivial to build up air in ACD/AYC system or clog it. the car has fairly low mileage and i can actually hear the pump working while pressing throttle with ignition on, so i suspect it has nothing to do with relays. i would bleed system first, then i'll go in depth.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 08:40 PM
Evolving Member

I had this very same problem on my IX, and took her into the dealer.

Error: ACD Module Comm Failure

The dealer replaced my ACD Hydraulic Unit under warranty, and voila! No more ACD light issues...

They said they had at least one other IX come through with the same problem, but they needed to diagnose to be sure.

Sure enough... same issue.

I hope your is under warranty, cause it was like an $1800 job to replace this if it were not under warranty.

Good Luck!
Old Mar 25, 2011, 02:54 PM
Evolving Member

bled the system today using mut iii, the pump is working, fluid is coming out of all bleeders.
visually the pump performs identically to the new one and makes a similar sound.
nevertheless, the error reappeared almost immediately, even faster than ever before.

i need to check (in no particular order) for either a faulty pressure sensor, a sensor wiring problem or a low voltage since the car is running off a fairly old lightweight battery which was almost drained during bleeding procedure.

will check accordingly and update the thread soon. battery seems to be the easiest thing to try.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 04:34 AM
Evolving Member

checked voltage, 12.1 stationary, 11.7 with pump working, so i can probably rule it out.

will try to see sensor and pump wiring next.

Quick Reply: Fix My ACD Problem and I will pay you!