Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

cant boost over 30??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2011, 04:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cant boost over 30??

Hey guys,
Ive recently been getting tunned for e85. i have and fp green with the 18psi wastegate. i have an evc boostcontroler and i cant seem to get the car to boost over 30 psi? wanna run 34 psi but for some reason only hits 30?? i installed a strong spring 30+ in my bov and even flipped it around thinking maybe i was loosing boost through the bov but it didnt help still could only hit 30. no matter what i set my evc at for example 35psi i will still only hit 30? the car doesnt have any boost leaks did a test but only brought it up to about 20 psi. i dono what would be causing this problem? i thought about throwing a manual boost controler on or maybe dont laugh but bleeder valves to my evc to make it boost more? or atleast try to get it to? but would rather find out why its not boosting 34 the right way. any suggestions i can try?? thanks! plus think putting bleeder valves would mess up the boost reading on my evc and my booost gauge only goes to 30 so kinda need my evc to be acurate
Old Apr 2, 2011, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by evopowned
Hey guys,
Ive recently been getting tunned for e85. i have and fp green with the 18psi wastegate. i have an evc boostcontroler and i cant seem to get the car to boost over 30 psi? wanna run 34 psi but for some reason only hits 30?? i installed a strong spring 30+ in my bov and even flipped it around thinking maybe i was loosing boost through the bov...
What BOV are we talking about exactly? You need to be quite specific on here as a lot of these guys are extremely ****, LOL. Is your turbo an OS Green or the newer HTA Green. Again you need to specify as a lot of the cantankerous old farts on here are extremely picky.

Last edited by sparky; Apr 2, 2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

I just have a forge dump recalculating not exactly sure what model. And the os fp green
Old Apr 3, 2011, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With your EBC are you setting target boost or adjusting the WGDC,

If your just setting target boost its most likely going to be just a target boost, i.e what the controller expects to see,

you then need to go through ur settings and increase the Wastegate Duty Cycles to hit that target boost
Old Apr 3, 2011, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

you're trying to hit 34psi on an oldschool green? is the car fully built? if you're just doing this on stock block and some bolt-ons then you're not going to get to 34psi....
Old Apr 3, 2011, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Arkitek
you're trying to hit 34psi on an oldschool green? is the car fully built? if you're just doing this on stock block and some bolt-ons then you're not going to get to 34psi....
34 PSI is doable on the original Green. Why not? I seem to recall that there were pioneers such as Curt Brown, and Scott at TTP taking stock VIII turbos way over 34 PSI. This was way back when and maybe I am just imagining. So, why couldn't it be doable on an original FP Green? The Old Green wasn't even supposed to come alive until after 30 PSI.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

You can try a two step elimination process to see if and whether it is your BOV, or your EBC that is causing the problem.

1) Block off your BOV by inserting a thin piece of sheet metal in between the BOV flange and the IC pipe.

2) Disconnect the EBC and run a length of 4mm rubber hose from the WGA nipple to the nipple on the compressor housing discharge pipe. Now increase boost manually by turning in the turnbuckle clockwise on the end of the threaded WGA arm till you reach your desired boost level.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sparky
34 PSI is doable on the original Green. Why not? I seem to recall that there were pioneers such as Curt Brown, and Scott at TTP taking stock VIII turbos way over 34 PSI. This was way back when and maybe I am just imagining. So, why couldn't it be doable on an original FP Green? The Old Green wasn't even supposed to come alive until after 30 PSI.
Hey, sparky

It is Manie from Florida.

I was one of the first to pioneer the 20G-LT 'aka old FPGreen' if you remember.

The turbo is capable of 34 plus psi with no problem.

It is a good turbo.

You know I sold it to Felix in PR a few years back, and he is still using it and having a blast with it.

Dawm thing refuses to fail, .
Old Apr 3, 2011, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Hi Manie! Que Pepsis? Yes I remember you and your OS Green. I put 50,000 miles on my OS Green and it never failed me either. The highest that I ever ran mine was 27 PSI because of lousy local fuel availability and my tuner never wanted to boost it above 25 PSI. BUT, at 27 psi mine was barely waking up on 91 octane plus a gallon of Xylene. So, I can just imagine what it would be like above 34ish. Take care
Old Apr 3, 2011, 11:31 PM
Evolving Member

I love ebc's but from what I have seen, they can only double the wg pressure at best. From trial and error I have figured out the best way to get the most from them. Run a bigger hose from an intercooled source ie; 1/4" hose from IM> to the BCS. Then as thin as possible hose from BCS>WGA. It should help with stability and higher psi. If you need way more psi then you might need to try a "JoeyMod". Get a pack of springs from a parts store and rig one from the flapper arm on the WG to the WGA drum/diaphram thingie. Thats the only way I have seen 30+psi to redline on an internal gate with NO bleed down.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 12:29 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah on an unported housing it is tough to see no drop. You really have to hog out the turbine discharge as well as the entrance to the wastegate bypass port to see an improvement. Otherwise you are always gonna see a drop in peak pressure.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by evopowned
Hey guys,
Ive recently been getting tunned for e85. i have and fp green with the 18psi wastegate. i have an evc boostcontroler and i cant seem to get the car to boost over 30 psi? wanna run 34 psi but for some reason only hits 30?? i installed a strong spring 30+ in my bov and even flipped it around thinking maybe i was loosing boost through the bov but it didnt help still could only hit 30. no matter what i set my evc at for example 35psi i will still only hit 30? the car doesnt have any boost leaks did a test but only brought it up to about 20 psi. i dono what would be causing this problem? i thought about throwing a manual boost controler on or maybe dont laugh but bleeder valves to my evc to make it boost more? or atleast try to get it to? but would rather find out why its not boosting 34 the right way. any suggestions i can try?? thanks! plus think putting bleeder valves would mess up the boost reading on my evc and my booost gauge only goes to 30 so kinda need my evc to be acurate
remove the evc and check boost with a manual boost controller. if boost is coming more than 30psi then your problem might be with the evc. if not then it might be the soft wastegate spring
Old Apr 4, 2011, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sparky
I never said it wasnt do-able.....Tom hit 537 on this exact same turbo at around 38+ psi just a few years back. it depends on the mods he has though...
Old Apr 14, 2011, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry guys been way busy havnt even got around to trying these suggestions yet. thanks for all the replys
Old Apr 14, 2011, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by widge
With your EBC are you setting target boost or adjusting the WGDC,

If your just setting target boost its most likely going to be just a target boost, i.e what the controller expects to see,

you then need to go through ur settings and increase the Wastegate Duty Cycles to hit that target boost
I have actually tried setting the target boost at max which is 36 psi and the wgdc at 140% which is the highest it goes and still only hit 31-32 psi

Quick Reply: cant boost over 30??