Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ever wonder what 800ft/lbs of Torque does to a transmission?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2011, 01:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bostonhatcher
I am very sceptical of making it 800awtq on a 6262 with 9.5:1 CR. What rpm are you making 800 awtq and what torque does it make at redline?
Does the 6262 come in t4 flavors? I am thinking maybe a 6265, myself.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 02:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An 1,117 WHP Evo didn't even make 700 lb/ft and it revved over 11,000 RPM's. Having stated those figures, how does this car accomplish 800 ft/lbs?

Is it making 1300+WHP on a GTX47-88 revving to 14,500 RPM's?

Either way great work. The transmission is enough proof that there's serious torque on this car.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 03:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
FWIW, I just tuned my friends 2.2L Toyota with a GT42R on E85 and it made like 650 ft-lbs @38 psi and 870 WHP. The engine breathes VERY well and this is high altitude, corrected numbers so the correction factor is like 1.15. 800 ft-lbs @ 38 psi (uncorrected) would be a ~40% increase in VE and I'm betting his engine is around 100% VE at peak torque.

140% Engine VE has definitely been done on other engines, particularly in the domestic world using some very strong pulse tuning methods. Don't think I've seen anything even close to that in the Import side though. Summary, interested to see the chart because you are talking about 5500 RPM or lower range for peak boost to keep HP in the 820-850 HP range with that torque. Even little turbos running that much boost have a hard time spooling that early on a dyno.

Anyway, as far as the transmissions goes, my friend broke a FWD DSM tranny in a similar fashion. Inspection showed that a couple large chunks of teeth likely broke off and then the chunks basically got pulled into the gears. Those chunks going into the gears is what ultimately fractured the case as it drove the two gears apart.

Case flex, poor surface lubrication, metal fatigue....there is a host of reasons on what can cause tooth failure if that was the initial failure point. But the Honda guys have similar problems with breaking cases and yet the gears being relatively unharmed. They have gone to billet aluminum bell housings and then a billet aluminum "hand cuff" that eliminates 5th gear and holds the shafts together.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 05:48 AM
Evolving Member

very interesting!^

cant wait to see this full specs of this beast.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
lightweight shockproof and launches have sheared teeth in many a transmission. I would tend to agree with 03 that teeth grenading first might have led to something like the shaft stopping and blowing the case apart.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I still want to see this dyno chart with 800 Lbs/tq.... As was stated a million times already, little hard to believe, but if its true (without huge correction factors or something on the dyno) that will be quite the accomplishment.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im wondering if all the dowl pins were installed between the trans and block.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 01:13 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Solo-Wing06
Mother of pearl! Thats some ***** you got there, love the attitude to, meh I'll just rebuild,improve, repeat. I'll keep an eye out for the mag, are you gonna be on the cover? You should be after that.
Yes, the cover.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
FWIW, I just tuned my friends 2.2L Toyota with a GT42R on E85 and it made like 650 ft-lbs @38 psi and 870 WHP. The engine breathes VERY well and this is high altitude, corrected numbers so the correction factor is like 1.15. 800 ft-lbs @ 38 psi (uncorrected) would be a ~40% increase in VE and I'm betting his engine is around 100% VE at peak torque.

140% Engine VE has definitely been done on other engines, particularly in the domestic world using some very strong pulse tuning methods. Don't think I've seen anything even close to that in the Import side though. Summary, interested to see the chart because you are talking about 5500 RPM or lower range for peak boost to keep HP in the 820-850 HP range with that torque. Even little turbos running that much boost have a hard time spooling that early on a dyno.
03 any place i can find more info at ? i always enjoy a good read even tho ill prolly have to reread it like 6 times to even begin to understand
Old Apr 8, 2011, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Teal2nnr
I still want to see this dyno chart with 800 Lbs/tq.... As was stated a million times already, little hard to believe, but if its true (without huge correction factors or something on the dyno) that will be quite the accomplishment.

I was there and I have a pic of the graph so I know it happened; even have a video of the pull. Still don't believe it!
My friend Tony owns the shop that was doing the dyno testing. There was no bull**** correction factors or other tricks to inflate the numbers. Everyone
there was using the same settings.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 06:56 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Drifto
I was there and I have a pic of the graph so I know it happened; even have a video of the pull. Still don't believe it!
My friend Tony owns the shop that was doing the dyno testing. There was no bull**** correction factors or other tricks to inflate the numbers. Everyone
there was using the same settings.

I think about 40 people have told me they have pics of the graph or video of the pull. You guys have more media on it than we do I think.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by StreetThisEvo
Im wondering if all the dowl pins were installed between the trans and block.

I was thinking the same thing. I've seen that happen a lot of low budget builds and amateur hour mechanics. Seeing the build quality shown in the few pictures he's shared, I don't think that's the case.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 10:03 PM
Evolving Member

This thread is pointless. Everyone is gonna ask the same damn questions over and over again. Pics,dyno sheets bla bla bla. Let's just wait and see what the op is gonna show us later
Old Apr 8, 2011, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by awdturbo8
This thread is pointless. Everyone is gonna ask the same damn questions over and over again. Pics,dyno sheets bla bla bla. Let's just wait and see what the op is gonna show us later
It's just trolls not accepting that the magazines have to come out first. They won't stop.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 12:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
This is why it's often best to wait before posting about such a success until you can fully support the claim. You have to expect skeptics when no real data is posted yet a claim is made that is FAR outside of what is the normal results.

I find it very hard to believe that the head is what's responsible though. It takes considerable pulse tuning to get that kind of VE which means solid intake and exhaust manifold tuning along with a proper cam selection.

Even then, best I've seen has been in the 120% VE range on a turbocharged engine. 20% above that is like the difference between a stock motor and that 120% engine... It's very significant.

Quick Reply: Ever wonder what 800ft/lbs of Torque does to a transmission?