Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

EVO shudders during acceleration?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2003, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question EVO shudders during acceleration?

Just a quick post about my EVO issue. Recently I have noticed that while racing or accelerating very fast I get a hard "shudder" between 4500 and 6000 RPM. This happens in any gear and when I have the gas floored. Today, the check engine light came on. I took it into the dealership to diagnose the problem. The error on the computer showed a waste gate issue. They really didn't specify. I'm assuming it's the back pressure from the turbo causing a stutter in the acceleration. But I may be wrong... Just wondering if a blow off value will solve this problem? Or am I stabing in the dark on this issue.

Please advise
Thanks,

crapsstickman
Old Dec 17, 2003, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

Check out my post:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=53981

I have the same problem and the dealer said it might be the wastegate too. They are going to replace my turbo and see if that will solve my problem. I only have 970 miles on my Evo!
Old Dec 17, 2003, 11:02 PM
Evolving Member

Do you have any mods?
Old Dec 18, 2003, 09:30 AM

I've only got 8000 miles on it and don't have any mods yet.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

Well actually you shouldn't have to do anything to fix the problem, because there shouldn't be a problem to begin with. Obviously it's not running right from the factory. You said the dealer identified a code, but did they fix it? I would definitely have the dealer identify the problem and fix it before you ADD anything to the car. You should never do any mods to the car if it is not running right stock. You might just fudge it up worse.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 03:17 PM

Thanks for the info and advice. But I guess what I am really asking, is this something that normal occurs with a turbo(with no mods)? I was thinking this may be concidered "Turbo Lag". 'Cause if it's not then I'm definatly gonna take it back and get them to fix it!
Old Dec 18, 2003, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

Simplified: lag is just the delay between the time your foot hits the gas and the turbo is spooled up and boosting. What you describe isn't lag.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

It's not normal for the car to shudder, and it's certainly not normal to get a CEL. You shouldn't have any problems getting it fixed under warranty. Why didn't they try to fix it?
Old Dec 18, 2003, 08:13 PM

Good to know!! I'll definatly take it back and take them for a test run in it, to feel it for themselves. They saw the waste gate error and didn't see any problems when they took it for a spin. So they reset the computer and said there was nothing wrong with it. Thanks for your responces...

You guys ROCK!!
Old Dec 18, 2003, 08:24 PM
JTB
Evolved Member

This could also be the engine management retarding the ignition due to knocking? Is it possible that it is a tank of bad gas?

Just a thought.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 08:57 PM

I've been running off of Cheveron 91 Octane. Thats the best we can get out here in Sacramento. That I know of... I mean other than racing fuel.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 09:46 PM
Evolving Member

I was going to suggest running it almost empty and fill up with GOOD gas and throw in a can of BG 44K (good ****). If it still stutters take it back to the dealer. Be aware that the dealer is lazy. If they don't get a code telling them what is wrong they just might in turn tell you it's fine and send you on your way. Do not settle for that if it is indeed is stuttering. Let us know how it turns out.

Good luck!
Old Dec 19, 2003, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That wastegate code, I believe it's P0243.
The code is caused by any problem with the boost control.
Therefore it can be the boost solenoid or one of the hoses and yes the wastegate. (Idoubt it is actually the wastegate).
I sounds like you are losing boost under heavy boost, like a loose hose which is quite common. Also, make sure the little plasstic retainers are in te intake duct for the air cleaner, if they are missing it lifts up and cuts off the air.