Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What's the O2 eliminator?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2003, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question What's the O2 eliminator?

I'm considering getting a turbo back exhaust. BR has a terrific sale on their complete system with the cat delete option, but since I already have a cat back, I'm consideing also the purchase of a down pipe and a high flow cat to fit my 3" catback.

VRS, the manufacturer of my catback and the DP is offering a full SS downpipe with an O2 eliminator. I guess it eliminates the an O2 sensor near the turbo outlet, but I'm not sure.... Also, if this sensor is eliminated what are the consequences? I don't want to live with a CEL..... I'm asking any of you who know about this to please educate me.

By the way, this downpipe by VRS looks very good and apparently makes very good power. Here is the picture.

Thanks in advance
Attached Images  
Old Dec 18, 2003, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The O2 eliminator just eliminates the stock O2 housing and replaces it with one that is more tubular vs. the cast design. The new piece has a bung and the sensor is still used.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 10:20 AM
Former Sponsor

It does not eliminate the sensor. It replaces the housing that the sensor taps into, with a higher flowing unit like the black section at the top of the exhaust in your photo.

FWIW..If your planning the install yourself, its quit a bit more labor intensive. The radiator needs pulled along with the intake box and related plumbing including the lower innercooler pipes.The lower stud on the turbo also needs to be replaced or cut down also(hardest part of the whole project for me, it was froze up). All in all it was fairly straight foward though. I think it was worth it though, helps the turbo spool several hundred RPMs quiker.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

O2 eliminator? I've heard of an O2 simulator, which I have and it eliminates the CEL (I have no cat btw just a test pipe). If the sensor is eliminated the only consequence would be that dredded CEL, it does not however affect the operation of your EVO in anyway, by that I mean no loss of power.
If you remove the sensor from the intake, then we have problems, your car would go into limp mode.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Thank you gentlemen for the quick and informative answers. If the installation involves all that work, may it be a good opportunity to upgrade anything else?.... I'm thinking of taking a trip to Miami and letting them do the installation. It's a long *** drive, but there are a couple of other things I can do in Miami so it would be a multipurpose trip. I've dealt with these guys before a few times and they are very good at customer support and back their products fully. It will be a chance to meet them face to face as well.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is that black piece of piping in the picture. I hear it is a pain to install the O2 eliminator as compared to a regular downpipe, and the gains aren't worth it
Old Dec 18, 2003, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Creamo3
It is that black piece of piping in the picture. I hear it is a pain to install the O2 eliminator as compared to a regular downpipe, and the gains aren't worth it
I'm not sure of the gains vs. hassle of that piece. Do the other turbo back products use that piece? I've heard mutterings about the "special flange that uses" from several people when the downpipes are discussed..... Maybe that's why they make the downpipe like that. Maybe it's easier to make all the pieces like that than to try to match the cast iron O2 housing....
Old Dec 18, 2003, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Actually the install only takes a couple hours. The 02 elim are a great piece and really help maximize the stock turbo to it's greatest potential.

If you have ever built DSM's or even cruised the sites you will see that the 02 elim is one of the most popular upgrades. It improves

decreases spool up
improves power band
better boost control
lightweight
etc,etc

I would look at our 02 elim downpipes. They are a great piece for the price. We also use all SS unlike other companies which use mild steel which is going to rust. Our downpipes are also tig welded unlike the VRS which has really crappy welds. I use to sell VRS products, but wasn't happy with their quality and stopped.

Let me know if there are any other questions. Also we are a big supporter of 02 elim downpipes because they have worked so well for us and our customers.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by RnR Racing
Actually the install only takes a couple hours. The 02 elim are a great piece and really help maximize the stock turbo to it's greatest potential.

I would look at our 02 elim downpipes. They are a great piece for the price. We also use all SS unlike other companies which use mild steel which is going to rust. Our downpipes are also tig welded unlike the VRS which has really crappy welds. I use to sell VRS products, but wasn't happy with their quality and stopped.

Let me know if there are any other questions. Also we are a big supporter of 02 elim downpipes because they have worked so well for us and our customers.
Thanks for the heads up.... (I pm'd BTW)... What's the cost of your DP+HiFlow cat? About VRS, I guess maybe their welds are not as good looking as other manufacturers' (that can be very important to some folks), but as long as the system holds up and does what it's supposed to, I don't think that's too important. What other quality issues do you look for? What should the buyer expect for his or her money?

Thanks
Old Dec 18, 2003, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

The Evo's O2 housing isn't as resrictive at the older DSM styles.
I'm sure if you tried a DP with stock housing and with O2 elim housing, you wouldn't notice a difference.
I've also heard this from respectable tuners.
If really concerned you can clean up your stock housing, remove flash and smooth out high spots.
That's what I did, and I've never done any porting before.
Attached Thumbnails What's the O2 eliminator?-porto2.jpg  
Old Dec 18, 2003, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

closer view
Attached Thumbnails What's the O2 eliminator?-toutlet.jpg  
Old Dec 18, 2003, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

another
Attached Thumbnails What's the O2 eliminator?-woutlet.jpg  
Old Dec 18, 2003, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

You heard that from tuners who sell regular downpipes and have never made 3" 02 elim before.

We have before and after tests that clearly shows a difference in spool up and overall power band.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

I was going to buy a tubular O2 housing and the tuner recomended not to (he lost a $300 sale) because the stock is so good. I've also seem this fact posted from Buschur. (maybe UR too)
Unless you dump the wastegate side, differences arn't noticable, unless you have dyno sheets to prove so.
If you ran the dump tube further down the exhaust then rejoined, you could cut out the turbulence at the housing.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

A 2.5" vs. 3" is a big difference when it is right out of the turbo. We ran a regular 3" downpipe and then switched to a 3" 02 elim and saw a big difference.

These are claims I experienced on my own personal car. Also we are going to be offering external dumps as well. There will be gains seen there as well. It will also sound real scary with the external dump.

We will also be selling just the 3" 02 sensor housing as well. For those of you that already bought a 3" donwpipe and want to get the most out of your stock turbo then this is the way to go.

Quick Reply: What's the O2 eliminator?