Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cracked Crankshaft

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2011, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cracked Crankshaft

So I'm in the process of getting my engine rebuilt. I'm getting parts from a very reputable sponsor on here and getting my block/crank machined by another local shop that specializes in evo's and another brand. The block is getting bored .020 over, honed, degreased, new freeze plugs, etc. I also had them magnaflux, micro-polish, and check for straightness my crank for piece of mind.

I got a phone call today from the machine shop telling me that my crank is cracked on a rod journal. I was then told that this happens quite often, especially on this cylinder. I'm not saying that I don't believe him, because he has done nothing to this point except be honest to me, but the conversation after that turned into an "upsell", which is making me think twice.

I've read that our stock cranks are relatively indestructible and that there hasn't been a lot of issues with this sort of thing...or maybe there is and you just don't hear about it.

I would like some input if from you guys and shops to see if this does happen, is possible, or if he's just trying to upsell me something.

It was funny too...the machine shop recommended one brand of crank and then the parts distributer (whom I trust more), told me that those cranks aren't great and to stick with factory crank. I'm not sure what to do here folks, please help put my mind at ease here. I wanna get this engine built once and built right the first time for the amount of money that goes into these things.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by lan_evo_mr9
So I'm in the process of getting my engine rebuilt. I'm getting parts from a very reputable sponsor on here and getting my block/crank machined by another local shop that specializes in evo's and another brand. The block is getting bored .020 over, honed, degreased, new freeze plugs, etc. I also had them magnaflux, micro-polish, and check for straightness my crank for piece of mind.

I got a phone call today from the machine shop telling me that my crank is cracked on a rod journal. I was then told that this happens quite often, especially on this cylinder. I'm not saying that I don't believe him, because he has done nothing to this point except be honest to me, but the conversation after that turned into an "upsell", which is making me think twice.

I've read that our stock cranks are relatively indestructible and that there hasn't been a lot of issues with this sort of thing...or maybe there is and you just don't hear about it.

I would like some input if from you guys and shops to see if this does happen, is possible, or if he's just trying to upsell me something.

It was funny too...the machine shop recommended one brand of crank and then the parts distributer (whom I trust more), told me that those cranks aren't great and to stick with factory crank. I'm not sure what to do here folks, please help put my mind at ease here. I wanna get this engine built once and built right the first time for the amount of money that goes into these things.
go to the shop and have them show you the crack.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by n2oiroc
go to the shop and have them show you the crack.
That's what I was thinking. My first words, after getting this announcement, would have been, "Be right there."
Old Apr 12, 2011, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Always check out in person..
Old Apr 12, 2011, 10:33 PM

What crank he recommend?
Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check for yourself or have another shop look at it for another oprinion.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

+1
Old Apr 17, 2011, 09:32 PM
Evolving Member

my crank snapped on my built 2.4, on #4. drove for 2 days with it like that. had no clue, thought the clutch floater plate was warped. what cylinder?
Old Apr 18, 2011, 03:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by still*boostn
my crank snapped on my built 2.4, on #4. drove for 2 days with it like that. had no clue, thought the clutch floater plate was warped. what cylinder?
was there any damage done?
Old Apr 18, 2011, 04:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They will crack, Ask any EVO engine rebuilding shop that has magnafluxed the crank.

I have a cracked one at a machine shop,I'll take a picture today if i can get over there. Stock cranks are good for about 400 torque, after that or abuse and they will crack. Most people don't know because it doesn't shut the engine down. Nobody ever talks about it because you can barely see it.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 04:29 AM
Evolving Member

That's news to me and I've built around 20 4G63's at this point and had a hand in helping build even more and never saw or heard of a cracked crank. That's over a 15 year period. The 4G64 crank is notorious for breaking but the 7 bolt Evo crank has put down very high HP and and torque without fail. I would check it first.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 04:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I would look at it in person. Get pictures and post them up
Old Apr 18, 2011, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

I did see it in person... It's definitely cracked on #4 rod journal and near the thrust bearing area. These aren't huge cracks or anything, but cracked never the less. My trust is totally with the machine shop now after seeing it, receiving a tour, and getting very specific descriptions on the the engine's inner workings and such.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Here's a few pics of the piston damage... Don't have any of the block or crank, sorry.
The block was in amazingly good condition for what had happened and will be cured by a .020 over bore

The stock cranks can handle abuse, with the right prepping, bearings, oil flow, etc. But they are not indestructible like everybody thinks. I probably saw 5 other cracked cranks at the machine shop while I was there. Scary stuff. I do know it was mine because I marked one of the counter weights with a tiny pin punch. Sorry for the crappy cell phone picks...after I saw this, I couldn't believe how lucky I was that the whole thing didn't grenade.
Attached Thumbnails Cracked Crankshaft-small-piston-2.jpg   Cracked Crankshaft-small-piston-top.jpg   Cracked Crankshaft-small-piston.jpg  
Old Apr 18, 2011, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

That's pretty bad. No excessive gouging on the cylinder walls?

Quick Reply: Cracked Crankshaft