Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Spark Plugs too cold or ok?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2011, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spark Plugs too cold or ok?

Any feedback on my plugs? I'm using NGK BR8ES. I change the current plugs every 3k and have them gapped at .025. Stock turbo, 2.3, full bolt-ons. I'm not having issues as long as I'm diligent about changing them. The guy who tuned my car told me to use these plugs (he is out of business and MIA otherwise I'd follow-up with him). I don't have AFR info unfortunately. I'm considering one step hotter to see if they'll keep a little cleaner between changes.

Old Apr 17, 2011, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I have used the br8es for some time now. I NEVER have any plug issues with them. The downside is that they do foul pretty quickly...but thats the reaosn they are only $2 a piece. If your gonna use copper plugs you have to change them often. I do every 3-5k miles also...just change them out when u change oil. I know of tons of cars that are running these and my tuner recommended them also. Everyone has a plug that they prefer, so just use what works in ur car. For me the br8es gapped same as you .025 have been working great for years. stock motor, stock turbo with all bolt ons and hks cams...350/350 just so u know where im at

Last edited by YogSaahoth; Apr 17, 2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Plugs look pretty good. You could try the BPR8ES, but that's as far hotter as I would go. Might be worth trying the BR/BPR8EIX and running a .002-.004 larger gap. That will also help with the fouling.

If you do a lot of highway driving, I would stick with the current plug. But from the looks of things, that looks like a stop light to stop light, around town plug.