Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Injectors not turning off during decel + tps problems

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2011, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the evap purge solenoid doesn't seem to be holding vacuum when the electrical harness is plugged in. Its leaking vacuum ever so slightly. When i unplug it, it holds vacuum fine. Why would the purge solenoid be open with the car not running? I thought it is suppose to re-introduce the gas fumes from the evap canister back into the intake manifold when the engine is running?

I'll try unplugging it tonight when I park the car and plugging it back in when I start it in the morning. If the car starts fine, then that would be the reason for the hard start in the morning. It would also makes sense as to why it would start right away when I open the throttle plate.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 09:53 AM
Evolving Member

Unplugging the evap purge valve solenoid made no difference on hard cold starts.

I found an old thread where TTP engineering said to press the clutch pedal in twice. I tried that this morning and that does work. Pressing the clutch in twice between shifts will make the car decel properly by turning off injectors. Ugh, i hate this throttle hang crap.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah its pretty annoying. i noticed that when it happens my afr's stay in the 14.8-15 range. Ill have to try the throttle tap and see if that works too. Only thing is that mine is intermittent. I don't know if that could just be idle control actuator partially clogged up or what.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 09:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JDMwannabe
Yeah its pretty annoying. i noticed that when it happens my afr's stay in the 14.8-15 range. Ill have to try the throttle tap and see if that works too. Only thing is that mine is intermittent. I don't know if that could just be idle control actuator partially clogged up or what.
Ya I wish this damn thing would throw a code or something. Mine used to be intermittent as well but as time went on it got worse and now it happens all the time. Every day I drive the car, I hope for the SES to light up but it never does..lol.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hyeteck
Ya I wish this damn thing would throw a code or something. Mine used to be intermittent as well but as time went on it got worse and now it happens all the time. Every day I drive the car, I hope for the SES to light up but it never does..lol.
That throttle hang is able to be fixed with the right professional tuner.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 01:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by surferjeff
That throttle hang is able to be fixed with the right professional tuner.
Can you recommend the right professional tuner who can make sure my injectors turn off when I lift off the throttle completely?

I'll pay $100 to any tuner who can make my injectors turn off when I lift off the throttle, without causing any other problems on the car.

Last edited by hyeteck; Dec 7, 2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

i capped the 2 vacuum nipples (the ones for the egr) on the throttle body overnight and it made the cold start even worse.

I was reading up on evap systems and read somewhere that the ecu actually fires the injectors when the evap purge solenoid opens. The amount of gas fumes being re-introduced back into the engine aren't enough to fire the engine so it fires the injectors as well. The purge solenoid should only be opening when the evap canister is full.

does anyone know if there is a way to use evoscan to check if the evap purge solenoid is open?

Last edited by hyeteck; Dec 7, 2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 06:42 PM

doesnt sound like its in the tune

Last edited by jaybird09; Dec 20, 2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 09:11 PM

Friend of mine is having the same issue.. I gave up... I can't figure it out either.. Gonna take it back too the tuner..RRE.. Hopefully it's in the tune.. I'll update with the out come.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 02:13 PM

I don't know if it would be the tune. I'm on the stock tune. I haven't been able to take it to a tuner and ask whats going on with it. i noticed it only when its warmer outside ~75* or so on the intake temperature. that's what my Greddy informeter says at least.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by esmjoe
Friend of mine is having the same issue.. I gave up... I can't figure it out either.. Gonna take it back too the tuner..RRE.. Hopefully it's in the tune.. I'll update with the out come.
its not the tune. The car ran perfectly fine for about 6-8 months after it got tuned. The tune hasn't changed. It was intermittent at first and now it happens every time. The only thing I can think of is that it has something to do with the evap system turning on the injectors.

There is a check valve between the evap purge solenoid and the intake manifold. Its on the back of the intake manifold. Its suppose to allow flow from the purge solenoid to the intake manifold but not the other way. Thats on my list of things to check when I get some time.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JDMwannabe
I don't know if it would be the tune. I'm on the stock tune. I haven't been able to take it to a tuner and ask whats going on with it. i noticed it only when its warmer outside ~75* or so on the intake temperature. that's what my Greddy informeter says at least.
Are you still under warranty coverage period? Maybe taking it to the dealer and having them try throwing parts at it for free would help find the issue.
Old May 13, 2013, 12:53 AM

Bringing this post back from the dead.

My car is also having troubles with injectors not shutting when decelerating.

I'll try to be clearer, when driving normally, the car is going rich til 12 AFR if I press just a little bit the pedal (kind of 50-75 Hz)
If I WOT then car then release the throttle, it's closing the TB but the car goes 12 AFR until 3200 rpm wathever the release RPM was. Below 3200 it's getting to normal 21 AFR.
If during the deceleration, I press the throttle lightly the car get to 14.7 like it should... I really don't get it.
I've tried connecting the EGR back but had to unscrew totally the BLISS so she could idle and it didn't change anything...
Then I've turned the closed loop on, still no luck

I've made a boost leak test and every thing hold boost to at least 30 psi

The car specs are :
Evo 8 with evo 7 engine evo 9 turbo and kelford 272 cams.
AMS fuel rail
Deatschwerks 1000 cc but the car does the same thing on FIC bluemax 1450
Grimmspeed 3 way soleno
Tephra v7 (does the same with v5) open loop only and second O2 disconnected
EGR is disconnected from the TB and the solenoid under the TB is bypassed by air
Old May 13, 2013, 07:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
they are supposed to stay on after reaching higher loads. are yours doing something differently?
Old May 13, 2013, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by mrfred
they are supposed to stay on after reaching higher loads. are yours doing something differently?
Yes they should stay on for like 1 second but on mine, they are staying on, from red line til 3200 rpm which can take more than 8 seconds. During this lap of time, the car is running at 12 AFR and EGT aren't lowering like they should by running without fuel.

The thing that bothers me the most is that I can't use engine braking and I need to double the effort of the brakes to slow the car

If it can help, I can post a log to show this behavior more easily

Last edited by sky_fr; May 13, 2013 at 08:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Injectors not turning off during decel + tps problems