Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Newbie - 320WHP on 91octane?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2003, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by porcupine
Don't be fooled by high whp numbers because you will see BIG difference between dynos. You'd probably need more than cams to reach 320WHP on the Dyno Dynamics dyno (probably a slightly bigger turbos). I'm on 97ron and yet I am seeing lower numbers than those who have posted here with basic mods similar to mine with 91 or 93ron. It has to be the dynos.

G'Luck !
Thank you for the reply, but I am not concerned or interested with dyno #s from a Dyno Dynamics dyno. For better or worse my brain is calibrated to understand Dynojet power numbers, and every car I've ever dyno'd has been on a Dynojet.

So it seems that I will be able to get my magic 320WHP without a huge cash outlay or major work. Are we all in agreement that my HP goal is attainable with the stock turbo, injectors and I/C?

I am NOT a 1/4 mile guy, but I'd expect an EVO with 320WHP to run somewhere around 110mph. Sound correct?

Thanks
Old Dec 20, 2003, 11:13 AM
MP5
In Timeout

Originally posted by ringmaster

Thank you for the reply, but I am not concerned or interested with dyno #s from a Dyno Dynamics dyno. For better or worse my brain is calibrated to understand Dynojet power numbers, and every car I've ever dyno'd has been on a Dynojet.

So it seems that I will be able to get my magic 320WHP without a huge cash outlay or major work. Are we all in agreement that my HP goal is attainable with the stock turbo, injectors and I/C?

I am NOT a 1/4 mile guy, but I'd expect an EVO with 320WHP to run somewhere around 110mph. Sound correct?

Thanks
Absolutely a friens down in South TX Runs 12.44@ 111.8x without the cams just an Xede/Cam gears/and 3" exhaust. He did use 100 unleaded for the run- full weight including spare with a cat! I personally saw him put down 318 in 100 degree TX heat in an unvented shop with <1/4 tank of 93 and 2 gallons of 100 unleaded
Old Dec 20, 2003, 03:55 PM

Hi Ringmaster,

You should be able to reach those figures on Dynojet however with basic bolts-on + fuel tuning and probably cams.

What i was trying to explain was the fact that most of the members here are quoting super high numbers which are simply unattainable on a Dyno Dynamics with the same mods and that can be very misleading to most people.

Simply saying "I have a 320WHP car" to another friend who might actually have "I do too have a 320WHP car on a Dyno Dynamics" is like night and day comparision.

But anyway, happy modding and enjoy the car. G'luck !
Old Dec 20, 2003, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I got approx 246WHP, 314hp (flywheel) with the mods below (basically exhaust systems + intake + safc2) on 97ron fuel. 320WHP is a bit too optimistic for basic stage0 or 1 mods (non turbo upgrades) especially when dynoed on Dyno Dynamics Dynamometer which is what we use exclusively down here.

I'm not trying to put down any other dynos but the Dyno Dynamics is considered to be the king of dynos. Vishnu tuning (shiv) uses one.

Don't be fooled by high whp numbers because you will see BIG difference between dynos. You'd probably need more than cams to reach 320WHP on the Dyno Dynamics dyno (probably a slightly bigger turbos). I'm on 97ron and yet I am seeing lower numbers than those who have posted here with basic mods similar to mine with 91 or 93ron. It has to be the dynos.

G'Luck !
Difference is we don't use RON rated fuel we use RON+MON/2. Sad to say, your 97 RON is somewhere between our 89 and 91 Octane.

Keith
Old Dec 21, 2003, 05:29 AM

Originally posted by Fourdoor

Difference is we don't use RON rated fuel we use RON+MON/2. Sad to say, your 97 RON is somewhere between our 89 and 91 Octane.

Keith
He he, I was merely stating the fact that my dyno numbers are based on Ron97 Shell Gas that is the premium unleaded fuel used here, I was not bragging or anything like that. A lot of the people posted big dyno numbers but mostly on race gas (afgas, etc) not on normal pump fuel.

If you say that our fuel is only comparable to 89 or 91 octane, does that mean that the japanese fuel which is 100ron is equivalent to only about 93 octane that you all use?, I don't think so. I have to verify that with the local Shell outlet ;-)

Maybe we should import fuel from the US and do a dyno run, he he.
Old Dec 21, 2003, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

He he, I was merely stating the fact that my dyno numbers are based on Ron97 Shell Gas that is the premium unleaded fuel used here, I was not bragging or anything like that. A lot of the people posted big dyno numbers but mostly on race gas (afgas, etc) not on normal pump fuel.

If you say that our fuel is only comparable to 89 or 91 octane, does that mean that the japanese fuel which is 100ron is equivalent to only about 93 octane that you all use?, I don't think so. I have to verify that with the local Shell outlet ;-)

Maybe we should import fuel from the US and do a dyno run, he he.
Here is some data from http://216.239.39.104/search?q=cache...hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Petrol quality 9. The British Standard Specification for 4-star (premium) petrol is a minimum 97 RON/86 MON though it is usually marketed at 98 RON. Until recently 2-star (regular) petrol was also marketed at 90 RON/80 MON. This has now been superseded by unleaded petrol at 95 RON/85 MON.

North America uses AKI (anti knock index) rating on fuel. That is taking the RON rating plus the MON rating and dividing by 2.

In other words, your premium 97 octane is equivelent to 91.5 in the North America (97+86)/2 = 91.5 AKI
And your regular used to be equivelent to our 85 octane in North America (90+80)/2 = 85 AKI but has recently been upgraded to the equivelent of our 90 octane in North America (85+95)/2 = 90 AKI.

Your guess is as good as mine what the ratios are in the Japanees 100 octane fuel.....but it is probably no better than our 93 or 94 AKI fuel.

Keith
Old Dec 21, 2003, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Long live Sunoco 94... esp. at $1.50/gal
Old Dec 21, 2003, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Fourdoor

Here is some data from http://216.239.39.104/search?q=cache...n&ie=UTF-8</a>

Petrol quality 9. The British Standard Specification for 4-star (premium) petrol is a minimum 97 RON/86 MON though it is usually marketed at 98 RON. Until recently 2-star (regular) petrol was also marketed at 90 RON/80 MON. This has now been superseded by unleaded petrol at 95 RON/85 MON.

North America uses AKI (anti knock index) rating on fuel. That is taking the RON rating plus the MON rating and dividing by 2.

In other words, your premium 97 octane is equivelent to 91.5 in the North America (97+86)/2 = 91.5 AKI
And your regular used to be equivelent to our 85 octane in North America (90+80)/2 = 85 AKI but has recently been upgraded to the equivelent of our 90 octane in North America (85+95)/2 = 90 AKI.

Your guess is as good as mine what the ratios are in the Japanees 100 octane fuel.....but it is probably no better than our 93 or 94 AKI fuel.

Keith

Hmmm.. Keith, the funny thing is, the US is importing oil and gas from us...... so unless you are saying that the US importer puts some kind of octane booster in the fuel before it reaches the pump...

Plus, our cars (all new cars) are designed for min 95 ron.. and if we put in 91 ron.. we would have constant knocking and detonations... which we dont... maybe you might want to look into it a little further...

Anyway, anyone wanna post their 330whp AF ratios?

Last edited by Angel Of Mercy; Dec 21, 2003 at 05:58 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2003, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Angel Of Mercy

Hmmm.. Keith, the funny thing is, the US is importing oil and gas from us...... so unless you are saying that the US importer puts some kind of octane booster in the fuel before it reaches the pump...

Plus, our cars (all new cars) are designed for min 95 ron.. and if we put in 91 ron.. we would have constant knocking and detonations... which we dont... maybe you might want to look into it a little further...

Anyway, anyone wanna post their 330whp AF ratios?
Did you even read the material you quoted? Says right in what you quoted that the UK has changed the standard on "regular" unleaded to 95 RON....what is your point? Did I say a single word about running 91 RON fuel in your car? Nope. Did I point out that 95 RON fuel sold in the UK is equivelent to 90 octane fuel you can buy in the US? Yup.

You can sell the US all the 97 RON gas you want, we will put it in a pump labled 91 octane (R+M)/2 and sell the **** out of it. I don't see the controversy.

Keith
Old Dec 21, 2003, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by MP5

Absolutely a friens down in South TX Runs 12.44@ 111.8x without the cams just an Xede/Cam gears/and 3" exhaust. He did use 100 unleaded for the run- full weight including spare with a cat! I personally saw him put down 318 in 100 degree TX heat in an unvented shop with <1/4 tank of 93 and 2 gallons of 100 unleaded
Great times.

What kind of weather was he running in? Was he using a generic XEDE map or a custom-tuned map? Did he see noticeable gains with the cam gears?

Thanks.
Old Dec 21, 2003, 07:21 PM
In Timeout

His site says 380 WHP with that setup, hmmm.

Originally posted by evo_08
i got buschur racing stage 4.just that is over 330whp.im going back up and get the new head valve springs and head bolt.turbo and manifold;throttle body.some more tuning and it shoul put me over 400 whp.hope
Old Dec 21, 2003, 10:02 PM
MP5
In Timeout

Originally posted by MrBonus

Great times.

What kind of weather was he running in? Was he using a generic XEDE map or a custom-tuned map? Did he see noticeable gains with the cam gears?

Thanks.
'
I think he actually got some decent 50 degree weather! which happens only about 5 times a year here He had shiv custom tune in 100+ degree TX heat and put down 318. Cam gears add hella gains up top! 15-20 HP!
Old Dec 21, 2003, 10:11 PM
MP5
In Timeout

Ringmaster! https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...&pagenumber=20

340HP/36FtLBS on 91 octane in high *** colorado!! SAE corrected to sea level if you trust that
Old Dec 22, 2003, 04:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ringmaster

Wow, what a car, is it really that easy? So I just need a good downpipe, cat-back, HKS cams and engine management?

I know of the Xede and Dynoflash(?) upgrades, are there others?

To confirm, I will be able to see these results on 91 octane?

How good is the stock intercooler? Is it good enough for road course track use?

Thanks again!
Please get the ECU first, if you don’t get a complete new unit, then get the stock re-mapped. This is common in the UK, many tuners offer to set the stock ECU up to run on 95 octane crap as a first mod (that before anything!!). Also they can incorporate a boost increase. If your going to run the motor on 91 stuff I would defiantly get this done first, if only for peace of mind, as other mods will just reduce the fuel to air ratio further (there is only so much the ECU can do!!). Can you get hold of any octane boosters? A few points may make the difference between a blown motor or not! (and will help performance)
Old Dec 22, 2003, 04:58 AM
Evolved Member

Just read the stuff about Ron ratings, ****, just goes to show that not only does the UK get screwed on price of fuel (around 74p per liter, that’s £3.38 per gallon uk), but they miss lead us with the fuel that they are actually selling us! Wunder how much methanol costs (hehe)?

Last edited by chuntington101; Dec 22, 2003 at 05:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Newbie - 320WHP on 91octane?