Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Locked new motor on start up

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2011, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by okevolutionVIII
I didn't see any problems at all. I failed to mention before that I've cranked the motor over several times in the past to do a compression test and to get some old fuel out of the tank and never had this problem.
than i would start checking bearing clearance. looks like you put some arp studs in after the motor was built? that could the whole cause of this. not line honing could cause all sorts of problems if not within spec.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I didn't see any problems at all. I failed to mention before that I've cranked the motor over several times in the past to do a compression test and to get some old fuel out of the tank and never had this problem.
Originally Posted by camarokilla
than i would start checking bearing clearance. looks like you put some arp studs in after the motor was built? that could the whole cause of this. not line honing could cause all sorts of problems if not within spec.
The motor locked once before the ARP studs were installed. About 6 more hours of until I'm off work then I'll pull the oil pan, a few minutes with a flashlight may answer a lot of questions.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

So you bought a performance motor with stock main studs?
Old Apr 25, 2011, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 3gEclipseTurbo
Since when are stock mains an issue?
Old Apr 25, 2011, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Why would you cheap out on $60 main studs?
Old Apr 25, 2011, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 3gEclipseTurbo

The story is that I was looking for a used stock short block about 2 years ago and I put that in my sig. Top Level Performance PM'd me and said they had one to sell for $800. They were very cool and let me make payments. After a few months, it was paid off but when they double checked the motor, something was messed up with the crank. They offered to refund the money as I said I was looking into a 2.4L but they said they had a built 2.3L that I could buy for another $1200 so I did that instead.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

The story is that I was looking for a used stock short block about 2 years ago and I put that in my sig. Top Level Performance PM'd me and said they had one to sell for $800. They were very cool and let me make payments. After a few months, it was paid off but when they double checked the motor, something was messed up with the crank. They offered to refund the money as I said I was looking into a 2.4L but they said they had a built 2.3L that I could buy for another $1200 so I did that instead.
I would just pull it all apart and double check everything. Somethings sounds fishy to me.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo 9 guy
I would just pull it all apart and double check everything. Somethings sounds fishy to me.
I'll post up some pics if I find anything odd.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

what did u get for the readings?
Old Apr 25, 2011, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

Take it out tear it down and inspect everything with micrometers especially crank. Re assemble with correct tolerances = problem solved. sometimes it is faster to just do it the harder / correct way compared to easier fiddling here and there second guessing a mystery someone else assembled. my .02 Good luck.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
^^^^Agree
Old Apr 28, 2011, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

Edit
Old Apr 28, 2011, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

Unfortunately, this is what I found:

A thrust bearing came out of place and wedged between the block & girdle. Crank still won't budge and it took about 30 minutes to get the girdle out as it was wedged on between the crank on one side and the thrust bearing on the other side. It has Cosworth main bearings, not the ACLs that I put in the OP so I'm assuming Cosworth thrust bearings as well, I don't know yet. I've never seen this happen before and have no idea what causes it. Anyone seen this before?

Old Apr 28, 2011, 09:50 PM
Evolving Member

Thats weird i was for sure you where hitting the bores because of the longer stroke

To the other dude that posted your oil squirter's will still work with the 2.3ltr
Old Apr 29, 2011, 02:32 AM
Evolving Member

wow that is ridiculous. Why would the thrust bearings be separate from the main bearing ? Aren't they all one piece or is that just aftermarket ? Reason it happened is the block couldn't hold it in there and someone ( either the guys you purchased it from or who they purchased it from ) didn't measure the values during assembly and / or the surface where the bearing sits needed resurfaced due to previous spun bearing which they just " overlooked ". My best guess is too much clearance between the crank which would have required slightly larger bearings and or made worse by poor block surface from previous spun bearing . Either way they sold you a bad short block .

Last edited by 3grst01; Apr 29, 2011 at 02:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Locked new motor on start up