Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

clutch install complete!! one thing different in how to..

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2011, 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clutch install complete!! one thing different in how to..

Well I just finished my first clutch install in my evo. Everything went smooth for the most part. Couple old rusted bolts here and there but thats about it. Took about a total of 11 hours of actual work.

Couple things for anyone else about to do one using the evomoto how-to or the write up on here..

-Take all transmission mount brackets off of the tranny before dropping it through. Its already huge and theres no space to bring it down so taking the brackets off completely helped alot.

-At the end of the evomoto how-to when it tells you how to install the TOB it says when you push in the clutch for the first time it will engage into the pressure plate. this is wrong. I did this and thought i completely messed up the install because the clutch was dead solid. after you get the tranny in the car before you put the slave cylinder back on you need to grab the clutch fork by hand and pull it towards the drivers side of the car. this will push the TOB into the wedge collar and engage the TOB.

I thought i was going to have to pull the whole tranny back off again but then looking through the inspection hole I realized what the problem was. Another thing i used instead of a tranny jack underneath was an engine hoist from the top to hold the tranny. Gave me all the room underneath the car to maneuver the tranny around how i wanted.

If you guys have any questions let me know
Old Apr 27, 2011, 07:44 AM
Evolving Member

Welcome to the club brother! I've had the tranny off twice now, once for a rebuild and again for a clutch upgrade. I used a combination of references when I removed the tranny. The evomoto how-to, alldatadiy.com, and one of the how-to here on evom that involves removing the steering rack.
Old May 4, 2011, 04:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good info! Thanks, I may be attempting a tranny pull this coming winter, and any bit of advice helps. Taking out the tranny in my gst was somewhat of a task, which i'm sure is nothing compared to taking out an evo trans haha
Old May 7, 2011, 09:07 PM

I took my tranny out today to replace it with a built one. It was pretty brutal. Found a cracked clutch hub so that sucks. It was still fun though. I had help from an experienced dude so that made it easier. Unfortunately since we found the bum clutch, its still apart while I wait on another clutch.

I think I'm going on my 8th or 9th week with a down car, waiting on a stage 3 tcase and a tranny upgrade...I'm not that pumped about this clutch wait now.