Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Very Sick Evo IV Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2011, 06:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quick last minute check before purchasing. I know I have posted about it before but nobody very helpful chimed in. I'm going with Synapse for my BOV or DV. The question i really have is what's the difference between the two. Everything i've read says one is recirc and one isn't however Synapse offers they're bov in both vta and recirc as well as they're dv. Other than the fact that the dv holds up to 60 psi and the bov holds over 100, what really is the difference? I'm leaning towards the DV right now because it's smaller and easier to install. I'll wait for a couple good responses before purchasing though, just in case i'm making a mistake.
Old May 1, 2011, 02:39 PM

Which IV do you drive? I have only seen a couple on the base. Are you new? Did you buy locally? If so, see if you can track down the person who sold it to you or a friend, and see if this has been an ongoing issue in the past. Chances are there is somebody on this tiny base who knows the history of the car. When does your JCI expire? Pit Stop Garage also might be able to tell you. Either take it in for a tune up, or tell them directly what is happening. Their mechanic seems to know a little something about cars. I would not drop any money until the problem is fixed. Anyway, you can get a lot of what you want from the UpGarage in Hach at a better price, since the parts are used.
Old May 1, 2011, 02:50 PM

I drive the white IV that's usually seen putting around north side. It has the white Einkies and the moster motorsports sticker on the sides. Only had the car for 6 months now, bought it at top car (worst decision ever!!!) Was an auction car from what i understand so nobody has history on it. Problem is the top car mechanics are crap and don't actually fix problems with their cars before selling them. JCI is good until late 2012 so i have a while. I tried Pit Stop and they referred me to another shop in town which burned down the day before i was suppose to bring my car in... sigh...
Old May 2, 2011, 07:26 AM

I haven't seen that one. I live in tower 1936. F-in top car sucks ***..I bought my rex from them, and was let down from the get go..I can hep you out if you need a hand> I am no ASC cert mech, but I have some knowledge of turbo vehicles. Let me know, especially since you live in North area too..I need to get a working knowledge of Mitsu engines...
Old May 2, 2011, 02:40 PM

awesome... well at least i found somebody nearby to help me out I need to find a time to get away from work and into the auto hobby shop this week. Almost positive i heard a vacuum or boost leak coming from under the turbo the other day when changing spark plugs... was hard to hear much of anything as high and erratic as the car is idling and as high pitched as the turbo is whining. I can't get to what i thought i heard until i get it into the shop and up on a lift though.
Old May 2, 2011, 03:35 PM

Yeah, my turbo pretty much **** on me prior to me giving away the rex. Same symptoms as you. I had to stay on the gas in the low gears to keep it from stalling. It only happened in the cold, so I thought it might be just en exhaust leak, but the turbo made a very distinct whine (not typical turbo whine). That is why I think it finally had took a crap and some abnormal wear had happened on the fins. Never could validate, just a hypothesis.
Old May 2, 2011, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
both of the synapse bov and dv are really great. i run the bov on my honda, i think the reason alot of people run the dv on evos is cause it is smaller and does not have the third vacuum port like the bov. the bov is very big and bulky you could put wheels on it and drive it.
Old May 4, 2011, 04:15 AM

FIXED!!! Thanks a lot for all the help and ideas from you guys. It was the factory boost solenoid. Once i bypassed it, no more overboost and fuel cut. Now i'm just waiting for my Synapse DV to get here so i can install it and my boost gauge. Still keeping an eye out for new struts or a full coil-over suspension to replace the bad stuff. Glad to have the car running properly now.