Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What could I do for 10,000?

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2011, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by derekb727
I currently have a 2001 Audi A4 that right now I am planning to do a EFR 7670 build on,

So say I have a bone stock Evo 8, and a brand new EFR 7670 .92 a/r IWG

db

I think this is where the confusion lies. aside from not telling us what your full intentions of the car are (ex. you want to drag you need to invest in tranny/TC) or reliable DD (built bottom end), the statement above is confusin.

your saying your doing an EFR7670 build on your Audi, but your also using that turbo on the evo? I am assuming you have an audi and you plan on Building the evo with that EFR turbo, which is why you keep rejcting better turbo options?

Before we can give any helpful advice, need to get all the facts first. either way gl w/ the build
Old May 5, 2011, 07:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by derekb727
I got my savings and investments all lined up. This is my money for myself and my build. I am the last person you need to be telling to save my money, trust me on that one. lol
That's the way to do it, have money set aside for the car and the build, but not put a bind on the rest of your life.

I'd say build up the motor, and drivetrain right off the bat, I think that you will hit that 10k mark fairly quickly doing just that, depending how far you plan on going.
Old May 5, 2011, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by boostedtres
I think this is where the confusion lies. aside from not telling us what your full intentions of the car are (ex. you want to drag you need to invest in tranny/TC) or reliable DD (built bottom end), the statement above is confusin.

your saying your doing an EFR7670 build on your Audi, but your also using that turbo on the evo? I am assuming you have an audi and you plan on Building the evo with that EFR turbo, which is why you keep rejcting better turbo options?

Before we can give any helpful advice, need to get all the facts first. either way gl w/ the build

Well i have had my A4 for like a year, i built the bottom end on it, did a borg warner s259 build and supporting mods, made a 12.77 @ 112

So i already have the 7670 purchased, thats why i want to stick with that turbo, that and its the best out there.

I just want to make sure that i shouldnt be throwing my money somewhere else to get better results.

for the 10,000 that i plan on putting into my audi i will make a 10 sec pass on race gas, and make 500 on pump and 600race on the 7670,

the car wont be a daily driver but it will be a street car that will see tons of street as well as track,

it will be a fair weather vehicle.

I hope that makes it a little easier, I am not big in the Evo world, but a few people have suggested to me that i should sell the audi and get an Evo becuase it will be easier to make power.

it might be easier, but the price might not be less.

so i thank you guys for the help in making a decision

thanks

db
Old May 5, 2011, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

gotcha. so you already have the turbo and you are thinking about selling the audi and using the 10k to invest in the evo (not including purchase). Now that makes good sense. It also sounds as if your going to want a high power, high tq, reliable street car that can be taken down the 1320 correct?

coming from an audi to an evo (me personally), the evo will make much more power for cheaper. you can build all the major components for cheaper, and cheaper to fix. depending on mod selection an drive ability for 10k you can break 10s no prob, for how long will be a different question.

I am off to a meeting, I can PM you later my limit experience/thoughts but basic list would be:
- clutch/flywheel
- tranny/TC for drag
- built bottom end (if you want it to last) or stoker
- valvetrain/cams to support the turbo
- IC/piping/Exhaust
- then other things like proper wheels/tires/tuning (NLTS) etc.
Old May 6, 2011, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by chu
So, what do you plan to do with all of that power?
put it to the ground, lol
Old May 6, 2011, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by boostedtres
gotcha. so you already have the turbo and you are thinking about selling the audi and using the 10k to invest in the evo (not including purchase). Now that makes good sense. It also sounds as if your going to want a high power, high tq, reliable street car that can be taken down the 1320 correct?

coming from an audi to an evo (me personally), the evo will make much more power for cheaper. you can build all the major components for cheaper, and cheaper to fix. depending on mod selection an drive ability for 10k you can break 10s no prob, for how long will be a different question.

I am off to a meeting, I can PM you later my limit experience/thoughts but basic list would be:
- clutch/flywheel
- tranny/TC for drag
- built bottom end (if you want it to last) or stoker
- valvetrain/cams to support the turbo
- IC/piping/Exhaust
- then other things like proper wheels/tires/tuning (NLTS) etc.
Awesome, yes that would be great if you could pm me your advice.
I plan for the car to see equal amounts of the 1/4 mile and road track.
If you want i can share with you my mods that i had planned for the A4.
I will have to get that list off my personal computer later today, but i will post it for you all to check out.

I am not coming into this as a complete noob to car modding, but more of a noob to the Evo platform.

I appreciate all the help that you guys are giving me, its really helping me to make the decision that will make me the happiest, lol
Old May 6, 2011, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
to be honest if your working with 10k, now if your doing the work yourself, built longblock with an upgraded turbo kit, but you will need supporting mods. If your lookin for 500 hp id say look into an hta 35r good compromise between spool top end power and will get you into that hp range you want.
Old May 6, 2011, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fast3voviii
i swear by motec M800. stock ecu is just a clutch.

Depending on how much of a budget you're on, i don't know if 550 on pump is REALISTICALLY obtainable on pump. I mean it can be done but reliability down the road who knows? im not much of a stock frame turbo person but I THINK the FPBlack can do 550 on pump.
your making it worse for yourself... please don't listen to this guy

and no the black can't make 550 on pump, no turbo can do that on pump, unless it's on a VERY favorable dyno and a 42r

motec is for serious racers, not your setup op. Many other choices out there for much less $$ that will do the job. If you are sticking with maf, stock ecu is fine. DO research, instead of making threads, with bone head responses, from bonehead correspondents
Old May 6, 2011, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

If you plan on going 10's, that should be no problem with $10K. If you didn't already have the turbo, I'd say call Buschur and call it a day. There are certainly a few HTA35R setups that easily make the kind of power the OP is looking for - on Buschur's dyno no less.

However, insisting on going with a EFR 7670 IWG is going to limit your options ... I know, it's going to be the next turbo going onto my car. Fitment is going to be tough on an Evo due to the IWG. There are NO exhaust manifolds available for this turbo on the Evo at this time. Full Race will hopefully release one, but that's still a ways out, I would guess.

Stock ECU should be fine for tuning. There's no point in going aftermarket unless you have very specific needs that the stock ECU cannot address.

Engine-wise, you're going to at least want to consider:
- Built valvetrain - you're going to want to rev to at least 8500 with a 7670 if you're on a 2.0L
- Built block - your call. If you can live with 2L and 8000-8500 RPM, I'd stay stock
- Cams
- Intercooler
- Injectors
- Fuel pump

Lastly, if you're going to road race the car, leave some cash for suspension work, which should be, at a minimum:
- Rear diff ugrade
- Rear trailing arm bushings
- Rear bumpsteer correction kit
- Rear adjustable swaybar
- Front adjustable swaybar
- Front roll center correction kit
- Lowering springs - Swift Spec-R would be my choice
- Tires: At least something like a Dunlop Direzza Star Spec

l8r)
Old May 6, 2011, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

^^^ i agree 10k wont be a problem

3-3500 for a built motor 2.0,2.2,2.3 or 2.4 take your pick
2k for an fp black
maybe 6-8oo for fuel at most
2k on a good clutch
and 3-500 for a good tune on the stock ecu, 600easy

I will say this, there isnt too much that a 2k ecu box can do that the stock ecu cant do thanx to all the advances on these cars.
Good luck

Last edited by tazdevilxxi; May 6, 2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old May 6, 2011, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by tazdevilxxi
^^^ i agree 10k wont be a problem

3-3500 for a built motor 2.0,2.2,2.3 or 2.4 take your pick
2k for an fp black
maybe 6-8oo for fuel at most
2k on a good clutch
and 3-500 for a good tune on the stock ecu, 600easy

I will say this, there isnt too much that a 2k ecu box can do that the stock ecu cant do thanx to all the advances on these cars.
Good luck
Can u not read??... OMG..
So many ppl on this forum post replies without reading the original thread.. Come on.. The OP said he will be using the BW 7670 for a million times... Can u not read.. wow..
Old May 6, 2011, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

ets custom turbokit for the bw 7670 - 3k
exedy triple clutch 2k
built engine 3.5k
fmic 600
cams and springs 850
wideband 180
built transfer case 1500
built tranny 2000
ic piping 300
injectors and pump 600
misc things for engine build 1000
tune 400
boost controller 200
intake for turbo 200
exhaust 400
Good luck...
Old May 6, 2011, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well now money that could be spent fabricating that turbo to work on the car, ops better off sellin the audi and the turbo together, then more money for the evo.. haha
Old May 6, 2011, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chu
I beg your pardon? Do you know what the most popular tuning platform is on this forum, for professional and newbies alike?
stock ecu works, but a standalone works better when you get up there in power.
Old May 6, 2011, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

I don't agree. Plenty of 500+ stock ECU cars running around.

The only reason NOT to use the stock ECU is if you don't have a tuner locally that is good at using it (and you don't want to Email tune). Otherwise the stock ECu can suit your needs for almost anything you want.

Why spend 1-2k on something that can be easily used that comes with the car.

Quick Reply: What could I do for 10,000?