Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What could I do for 10,000?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2011, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
I don't agree. Plenty of 500+ stock ECU cars running around.

The only reason NOT to use the stock ECU is if you don't have a tuner locally that is good at using it (and you don't want to Email tune). Otherwise the stock ECu can suit your needs for almost anything you want.

Why spend 1-2k on something that can be easily used that comes with the car.
even david buschur has said that stock ecu's just dont drive as nice as a standalone. like i said before, they work and make power, but standalone just does it better.
Old May 6, 2011, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Given that you have 10k... this is what I think would be the BEST use of your budget. However there are risks and unknowns. Condition of T/C, Transmission, and Stock longblock are big wildcards. This is assuming you're going to wrench on your own car.

Injectors, Buschur double pumper, 2 walbros (1200) **E85**
Cams, Springs, Retainers (700)
Twin Plate Clutch (1500)
Tune w/ Ecu Flash (500)
Manifold, wastegate, Downpipe, Dumptube (assume FR... 3000)
Turbo fluid plumbing (200)
LICP (250)
FMIC (700)
UICP (450)
Mini Battery Kit (250)
Magnus v5 (750)
Exhaust w/ test pipe (600)

Total $10,100

Capable of EASILY supporting 450-500whp on E85 for AT MOST 3 years (more likely 1-2 years) before a built shortblock. Evo's need transmission and T/C work regardless of HP.... so plan for it. www.teamrip.com That 500whp car with a respectable driver full weight will trap mid 120's and run DEEP in the 11's on street tires.

Ditch the Audi. Welcome to Evom!

**EDIT** doing this list made me realize... I've spent a good bit on my car! GASP!
Old May 6, 2011, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by R/TErnie
Given that you have 10k... this is what I think would be the BEST use of your budget. However there are risks and unknowns. Condition of T/C, Transmission, and Stock longblock are big wildcards. This is assuming you're going to wrench on your own car.

Twin Plate Clutch (1500)
Tune w/ Ecu Flash (500)
LICP (250)
FMIC (700)
UICP (450)
Mini Battery Kit (250)
Magnus v5 (750)

Total $10,100

Capable of EASILY supporting 450-500whp on E85 for AT MOST 3 years (more likely 1-2 years) before a built shortblock. Evo's need transmission and T/C work regardless of HP.... so plan for it. www.teamrip.com That 500whp car with a respectable driver full weight will trap mid 120's and run DEEP in the 11's on street tires.

**EDIT** doing this list made me realize... I've spent a good bit on my car! GASP!

Lol this made me realize what I've spent and I'm not even in your price range.
Old May 6, 2011, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

lol sometimes its better not to add it all up..
Old May 6, 2011, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by 20austin08

Well said sir
Old May 6, 2011, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

If you have $10,000 sitting around, invest it.
Old May 6, 2011, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

Buy a short sale home in a nice neighborhood in the coming months at the bottom of the double dip. Hold onto it for 5 years or so and buy a new audi and evo
Old May 7, 2011, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
If you plan on going 10's, that should be no problem with $10K. If you didn't already have the turbo, I'd say call Buschur and call it a day. There are certainly a few HTA35R setups that easily make the kind of power the OP is looking for - on Buschur's dyno no less.

However, insisting on going with a EFR 7670 IWG is going to limit your options ... I know, it's going to be the next turbo going onto my car. Fitment is going to be tough on an Evo due to the IWG. There are NO exhaust manifolds available for this turbo on the Evo at this time. Full Race will hopefully release one, but that's still a ways out, I would guess.

Stock ECU should be fine for tuning. There's no point in going aftermarket unless you have very specific needs that the stock ECU cannot address.

Engine-wise, you're going to at least want to consider:
- Built valvetrain - you're going to want to rev to at least 8500 with a 7670 if you're on a 2.0L
- Built block - your call. If you can live with 2L and 8000-8500 RPM, I'd stay stock
- Cams
- Intercooler
- Injectors
- Fuel pump

Lastly, if you're going to road race the car, leave some cash for suspension work, which should be, at a minimum:
- Rear diff ugrade
- Rear trailing arm bushings
- Rear bumpsteer correction kit
- Rear adjustable swaybar
- Front adjustable swaybar
- Front roll center correction kit
- Lowering springs - Swift Spec-R would be my choice
- Tires: At least something like a Dunlop Direzza Star Spec

l8r)
Thank you for the in-depth reply, greatly appreciated

Originally Posted by zcchenCT9A
Can u not read??... OMG..
So many ppl on this forum post replies without reading the original thread.. Come on.. The OP said he will be using the BW 7670 for a million times... Can u not read.. wow..

Originally Posted by bambooi

correct me if i am wrong

ets custom turbokit for the bw 7670 - 3k
exedy triple clutch 2k
built engine 3.5k
fmic 600 Precision 600 core $350
cams and springs 850
wideband 180
built transfer case 1500
built tranny 2000
ic piping 200 $custom less than $100
injectors and pump 600
misc things for engine build 1000
tune 400
boost controller 200
intake for turbo 200 custom $50
exhaust 400 custom 3" tbe $200
Good luck...

Twin Plate Clutch (1500)
Tune w/ Ecu Flash (500)
LICP (250)
FMIC (700)
UICP (450)
Mini Battery Kit (250)
Magnus v5 (750)

Total $10,100

thank you, I wish E85 was readily available around here

Originally Posted by 20austin08
sometimes it hurts, lol

Originally Posted by 05ah8james
If you have $10,000 sitting around, invest it.
did you read the thread? I am not investing every penny I have, I have my investments, I work hard for a reason, to enjoy my life.

Buy a short sale home in a nice neighborhood in the coming months at the bottom of the double dip. Hold onto it for 5 years or so and buy a new audi and evo
I will actually be looking for an investment property to refurb and turn in to a duplex once I get back from Iraq here. Live in one side, rent the other. Hell yes.
Then after I get the loan payed down some.
Buy me a nice house in the country, with a huge garage with the VA loan that I qualify for.

But thanks for the Investment ideas, lol
This forum needs to be the "savvvy evo investors and engine / turbo / drivetrain"

lol

thanks guys,
decision is still up in the air,
I love my German car, but I dont see it beneficial money wise quite yet to swap cars.
What would happen if i do build an Evo is i would take the Audi back to stock, make it my daily and the Evo would be the weekend racer
Old May 7, 2011, 02:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by n2oiroc
even david buschur has said that stock ecu's just don't drive as nice as a standalone. like i said before, they work and make power, but standalone just does it better.
If you're car isn't a daily or you don't have emissions in you're area then yeah I'd agree thats worth it but I would hate to have to switch back to stock ECU to pass the smog check (and the stock ECU would need to be somewhat tuned just to make it to the smog referee).

And even though Dave is a Guru there is enough tuners on here that like the stock ECU just fine. Maybe its not as easy to use as a AEM or Haltech but it is a tool that plenty have used for a variety of setups. IF you are lucky enough to be in a state with a good stock ECU tuner or don't mind working with one on email then have at it.

I know I don't have anyone in GA that is good at stock ECU (a debate could be made for any kind of ECU for that matter) so I'm forced to do email or ride out of state. So i'll admit if I had a AEM or Haltec then I might have better choices in state, but i digress

Last edited by SmurfZilla; May 7, 2011 at 02:12 AM.
Old May 7, 2011, 03:06 AM
Evolved Member

You want a well balanced car. With that said, here is my 2c. This is assuming you can do all the labor yourself.
I suggest you ditch the turbo to be honest. Hard to make it all work with other mods on car like exhaust manifold/o2 housing.

Engine ($5,950) (400-450whp on 93)
Turbo (FP Black/BBK-B)
Titek 02 Housing V2
Ported/Coated Exhaust Manifold
MilSpec 65mm TB
Cams (Kelfords/GSC/Cosworth)
Valvetrain (springs/retainers)
ARP Head studs
FMIC
LICP
UICP
TBE
Intake (AEM/Perrin)
Boost Pill/ECU Boost/Boost controller
1000cc Injectors (enough for pump gas)
Fuel Pump (Aeromotive or that Deutchworks one)
MilSpec TB Seals
1 Step Colder Spark Plugs
Tephra Mod V7
Custom Dyno Tune

Suspension ($2600)
Bilstein PSS9 or KW Suspension
Adjustable RSB 25mm
Roll Center Kit
Alignment

Brakes ($500)
Ferodo DS2500
S.S. Lines
Motul 600

Tires ($600)
255/40/17 (Z1 S.S/RS3)

Track Stuff ($350)
Helmet
CG Lock

You need a good clutch with this setup. Swap out the coilovers for an ACT or Exedy clutch and springs if you wish.

This will give you a very well balance car jack of all trades, master of none. The car will stop decent/turn well/and possibly run high 10s/low 11s on pump 93 depending on turbo. Please consider selling your current turbo. Use the money to buy another turbo that fits better with the evo. If you must insist on keeping it, then I don't know exactly what to advise on the 02 housing/manifold/downpipe/wastegate setup.

Good luck! Spend wisely.

Last edited by Pure EvoIX; May 7, 2011 at 03:22 AM.
Old May 7, 2011, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by derekb727
I love my German car, but I dont see it beneficial money wise quite yet to swap cars.
What would happen if i do build an Evo is i would take the Audi back to stock, make it my daily and the Evo would be the weekend racer
Speaking from experience and having sunk waaaaayyyyy more than $10K into my 2003 Evo, this is what I would do if I was to do it over again:
- Start with mild suspension and power mods, basically shoot for 350-400whp, this will allow you to keep your block stock and, if it's still in good shape, allow you to use the stock clutch for a while

- My initial build goal would be a car with good (but not crazy) power that is very well balanced. 350-400whp will get plenty of pucker factor on road courses if you're still relatively new to road racing.

- Start attending HPDEs and see how well you do and how much you like it. If you've never been on track, then the lower power will work in your favor. Track newbies with 500+whp can be a recipe for disaster. My first track day was on a cammed Evo 8 (~280whp) on all-season tires, and I'm super glad that's the approach I took, as it taught me a lot about how the Evo handles and reacts to poor driver input. It took me a good 3-4 track days and a spin in the wet to get rid of some of my bad habits.

- Then determine the next steps, you may decide to run Time Attack or maybe change to Auto-X or maybe ditch turning in favor of drag racing. At this point, whatever decision you make will greatly affect your next mods. If you end up getting serious about road racing, you'll quickly find that the average 10second Evo is no match for a well prepared but less powerful track car.

Anyways, hopefully you'll decide to get an Evo. I've owned my fair share of Audis, and while they make great street cars, I just couldn't see turning an A4 into a weekend warrior. They can be a PITA to work on, and feel like slugs compared to an Evo.

l8r)
Old May 7, 2011, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

good points brought up above....

1) stock frame turbo's... best bang for the buck.
2) You need to drive the car for a while to figure out what YOU want out of it. To say 10g's blown on your Evo.... you might find that the power is plenty and you want to auto-x or road race it. In that case you'll be spending money on shocks, springs, brakes, tires, bushings, etc.

My advice for starting with owning an Evo. Take it slow. Just because you put xxx part on the car doesn't mean its the part that suites your purpose. making small changes that suit your needs i think is vital. If you change too many things at once, you'll morph it into somehting you don't like very quickly.
Old May 7, 2011, 03:20 PM
Evolving Member

I would get a built bottom end from one of our sponsors (Buschur, MAP, etc.), which can be anywhere from 2500-4000 depending on parts and source. Figure another $1000 for headgasket, new bolts, misc. stuff (timing gear, water pump, gaskets, etc.). Get a FP black, cams, injectors, double dumper, and some other mods (LICP, exhaust, etc.) for about 3,000 more (at the high end). Budget another grand (though it shouldn't be nearly this much) for a good tune and you'll break 500 on E85 with no problem and still come under budget. Good luck!
Old May 7, 2011, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
- Start attending HPDEs and see how well you do and how much you like it. If you've never been on track, then the lower power will work in your favor. Track newbies with 500+whp can be a recipe for disaster. My first track day was on a cammed Evo 8 (~280whp) on all-season tires, and I'm super glad that's the approach I took, as it taught me a lot about how the Evo handles and reacts to poor driver input. It took me a good 3-4 track days and a spin in the wet to get rid of some of my bad habits.
I think "someone" told him the same thing in post #48
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...1#post69605191
Old May 7, 2011, 10:28 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by derekb727
I am looking at getting an Evo 8. Not counting the car, what could I do performance only with $10,000?
That's a whole lot of track time.

Quick Reply: What could I do for 10,000?