Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Think this is a fire hazard?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2004, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, looks great. I like how its black. Total stealth!
Old Jan 18, 2004, 07:43 PM
Evolving Member

what about using an aluminum heat shield to reflect the heat back towards the ground?
Old Jan 19, 2004, 04:59 AM
Evolving Member

Some people adhere heat reflective material to the oil pan, but that's a less clean solution and there is some slight advantage to retaining the exhaust heat inside the pipe.
Old Jan 21, 2004, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I have some major input on this for you guys.

YES oil will catch fire. The 3" downpipes run pretty close to the pan but then again so does the stock downpipe which is even bigger than 3" with the heat shielding. The heat shielding keeps the heat down some on the stock downpipe.

IF you had a major oil leak there would be a chance of a fire with either stock or aftermarket downpipes. The chance of this would be less with the downpipe being wrapped.

Putting the stick on heat shielding on the oil pan is a GREAT way to keep the downpipe heat out of your oil, we have pieces for doing it, they are $10. This will not however cool the downpipe or lessen the chance of oil catching fire on the downpipe.

Now, in order to have a fire with the oil you would have to have a pretty severe leak, drips will not actually catch fire or atleast in all the oil leaks I have seen on DSM downpipes I have never seen a fire from it. It just burns off and leaves the downpipe black.

The only fire I have ever had was in my tube chassis car on the dyno. The oil filter had actually worked its way loose after 40+ continuos dyno pulls. The oil was pressurized at this point and spray up and onto the header. The header was unwrapped and it instantly went up in flames. It was major. Burnt the ceiling, lights, wiring harness and Tym's contact melted. It's kind of funny, Tym was right outside the car when it caught on fire I was inside with the car taken apart. There was no windshield. The flames were EVERYWHERE. Tym basically threw the laptop and hauled *** out the door. I was left in the car trying to get out and shut the car and dyno down. Once I got out I grabbed the fire extinguisher and got the fire out. I thought the entire ordeal was hilarious for some reason, Tym didn't

Take care guys,

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Jan 21, 2004, 02:22 PM

I had my downpipe wrapped with DEI, when my custom turbo'ed Benz went up in a blaze I must say, it's pretty flame resistant stuff. As you can see from the pictures at:
http://www.turbobenz.com/Death.htm

The entire engine compartment was engulfed in flames for well over 5 minutes before it could be snuffed out by the local fire department.

Ultimately, I removed the downpipe when I removed parts from the car prior to letting the insurance company take it. The DEI wrap was still in good shape... only a little singed and discolored.

Pretty amazing stuff,
Jason
Old Jan 21, 2004, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by RichJ
Some people adhere heat reflective material to the oil pan, but that's a less clean solution and there is some slight advantage to retaining the exhaust heat inside the pipe.
The WORKS DP uses 70mm T-304 Stainless Steel with a unique thermal ceramic coating both inside and out. It prevents the intense heat reaching the factory oil pan, as well as maximizes the velocity of exhaust gases (exhaust gases slow down as they cool) Anyone have any opinions on the WORKS DP?
Old Feb 29, 2004, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Alias
Anyone have any opinions on the WORKS DP?
yes, it's expensive as hell, $440 to be exact