Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

mild misfire help

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2011 | 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

yes. well i ordered the crank sensor and just going to put a new one anyways. i took it off but im taking a break to go eat. the tip of the sensor is pretty scored so it might be that. if not then ill have to start doing the other steps you mentioned
Old May 11, 2011 | 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

dnt mean to hijack the thread, but I am having the same misfire problem during full throttle w no CELs. When I was on vaca my dad borrowed my car and for some reason put 100 octane in it and ever since I got back the car has been misfiring (popping), car is tuned for 91
Old May 11, 2011 | 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

well did the crank sensor and it didnt solve the problem however i was just making sure everything was back in and no leaks and the car was running and i got shocked by the coil 3 wire. but the misfire is in coil 1. im not sure if its the coils now or another problem. for the coil packs (on sparkplugs 2 and 4) what tabs do i test resistance with or how to test them?
Old May 11, 2011 | 04:06 PM

I don't rely on resistance, it can ohm out fine but still malfunction under load. Seeing as you were shocked through the insulated wire (I'm assuming that's what you meant) it would seem prudent to replace the wires.
Old May 11, 2011 | 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

sounds like a new set of spark plugs gapped right i have an 03, dont wanna jinx myself but i swapped my ngk bpr8es for some denso iw24 plugs, one step colder copper to one step colder iridium, gapped at .024 so far so good. So recommend new coil boots and spark plug wires if you can swing it, or get new plugs and a cop setup that should get rid of it.
Old May 11, 2011 | 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

One of the first things I would have checked is the plugs/wires. and can also swap around the plugs too see if the misfire moves.

Change the plugs and wires (if broke or need asap, insulate wires with elec tape)

I'm curious to see if the crank sensor fixed it too

Since you're in Jersey too if you didn't know, extremepsi.com has the plugs and oem wires cheap and I get all my orders next day if ordered before like 3pm or could always drive there depending where you are. Just saying cause I used to go to the stealership for the same parts and I coulda got it from them for cheaper for the exact same stuff
Old May 12, 2011 | 04:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by My03evo
One of the first things I would have checked is the plugs/wires. and can also swap around the plugs too see if the misfire moves.

Change the plugs and wires (if broke or need asap, insulate wires with elec tape)

I'm curious to see if the crank sensor fixed it too

Since you're in Jersey too if you didn't know, extremepsi.com has the plugs and oem wires cheap and I get all my orders next day if ordered before like 3pm or could always drive there depending where you are. Just saying cause I used to go to the stealership for the same parts and I coulda got it from them for cheaper for the exact same stuff
thanks for the tip. i know the parts manager at allstar mitsu so he gives me good deals but the wait time i just might have to try extreme psi
Old May 12, 2011 | 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

make sure when you do buy the plug wires, make sure to buy dye electric grease for the inside of the coil boots. other then that how many miles on your plugs? ur better off changing them and make sure to recheck the gap on them always...good luck
Old May 12, 2011 | 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

Ok so I checked the resistance of the coil wires and coil packs again. The wires only measures 160 and 340 ohms which is way below where they should be I think but the packs measured at 10.2 and 10.5 killings so they're good. My next step I'd going to be. Changing the wires and plugs just in case at the same time. Hopefully it will stop the misfire. However I got the crank code again even after I erased and started it again? Should I be concerned still or just forget about it and hopefully when I changed the wires and plugs that code will go away as well?
Old May 12, 2011 | 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

install the plugs and wires, reset the computer with the battery disconnect, let the car relearn, and then drive it for a while and see how it is.
Old May 13, 2011 | 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evilution23
thanks for the tip. i know the parts manager at allstar mitsu so he gives me good deals but the wait time i just might have to try extreme psi
No problemo, I'm just glad they have good prices or else I wouldnt buy from them cuz im a cheapo

I agree with dastallion, reset and drive and go from there
Old May 15, 2011 | 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

any updates with this?
Old May 16, 2011 | 04:32 AM
Evolving Member

im currently waiting on the plugs, coils, and wires to come in. everything should be here tomorrow for me to install. i will let you guys know the outcome
Old May 16, 2011 | 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

make sure while your there man, see if they got some dyeelectric grease, lube up the inside of the coil boots with it prior to installin them on the spark plugs....that should help keepin the ignition from shortin out on the head to make sure you help get rid of your misfire issue. good luck
Old May 16, 2011 | 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dastallion951
make sure while your there man, see if they got some dyeelectric grease, lube up the inside of the coil boots with it prior to installin them on the spark plugs....that should help keepin the ignition from shortin out on the head to make sure you help get rid of your misfire issue. good luck
I already have some from work but I definitely will keep you guys posted

Quick Reply: mild misfire help