Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

MBC Testing by Boosted Tuning

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2011, 04:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
UPDATE: Found issue. After installing and removing 3 MBCs, the vacuum line had a small hole. Barely visible looking at it, but when pressurizing the line, it leaks. Cut the small section where the hole was off the line and it was all better.

Will be posting data in one second and plotting the Buschur data on the charts this evening.
Old May 12, 2011, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, to say a MBC "looks like a complicated mess" cracks me up. All you have to do is turn a knob and go. Oh wait, except for one of them. Just saying...
Old May 12, 2011, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Best of luck, I've tested all of them but the Grimspeed against ours and Grimspeed took second to the Forge already....

Also of note, ours doesn't require a spring change to go from wastegate pressure to HUGE boost levels.
Old May 12, 2011, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Yours looks like a complicated mess.....just my opinion. Ours is incremented and clearly marked, each line, 1/4 turn is 1 psi. There is NO need to bottom ours out like in the picture because in reality if you installed it like that you'd have 100 psi of boost, so I don't honestly know if it would damage it or not, since they had problems I assumed it's damaged. Looks like Forged beat the Grimspeed to me from the testing.....just saying. Have anything else to add?
You can disconnect the wastegate line all together and you'll get no where near 100 psi on an FP black...

Seems like they are all the same performance wise to me and you should pick the one you like. If you look at the chart you can tell the difference in spool is within a 1-2 samples which means I would only trust the data +/- 100 RPM anyway.
Old May 12, 2011, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Boosted, do me a favor.

Go back to your data and look at your logs. Take a reading on each boost controller and note when each one hit exactly 20 psi. So all the data will be 20 psi @ XXXX RPM and then take your last reading for boost at 7,000 rpm= XX psi.

Doing this will give a better understanding of which controller spools up fastest and then which one holds best at 7,000 rpm. That is how I do it so I can compare spool up, I always use 20 psi for my reference, not sure how I came to chose that number but I've done it since the "beginning".
Old May 12, 2011, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Uh.....100 psi was an overstatement there's probably not a car on these forums that would make it to 100 psi with any turbo but if you feel the need to point it out......

My SUGGESTION for measuring a set PSI and the RPM the controller hits it will give a better idea of spool up.
Old May 12, 2011, 06:12 PM

When done with this test, it would be nice to see a test between the best mbc and an ebc
Old May 12, 2011, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think Perrin should be the people that are mad here. It's really their design.
Old May 12, 2011, 08:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
All data is complied and posted. Thanks for the interest everyone.

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Boosted, do me a favor.

Go back to your data and look at your logs. Take a reading on each boost controller and note when each one hit exactly 20 psi. So all the data will be 20 psi @ XXXX RPM and then take your last reading for boost at 7,000 rpm= XX psi.

Doing this will give a better understanding of which controller spools up fastest and then which one holds best at 7,000 rpm. That is how I do it so I can compare spool up, I always use 20 psi for my reference, not sure how I came to chose that number but I've done it since the "beginning".
Done.

Last edited by Boosted Tuning; May 12, 2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old May 12, 2011, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

Good Info... Thanks for testing!
Old May 13, 2011, 03:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a great mounting solution for the BR inline, im just not sure how to post a pic on this site, I can take a quick pic if anyone likes.
Old May 13, 2011, 06:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How was the 27 psi target boost set? An air compressor? Just curious and thanks again for taking the time to do this test.
Old May 13, 2011, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Thank you very much for the testing, the effort and adding in the RPM vs 20 psi target.

I took the average of each of the three runs for all three points you tested and posted for each controller. They are all very close, much closer than I thought they would be. Based on your testing the Forge wins the testing. Which spring is in the Forge, light or heavy?

Doing testing is a pretty thankless job, I've been down this same road for probably hundreds of tests on here. I appreciate you adding to the good information that's posted here on the forums.
Old May 13, 2011, 10:18 AM

[QUOTE=camarokilla;9316185]
Originally Posted by GrimmSpeed
You're saying that you can damage your boost controller's spring by adjusting it to your max adjusment setting? With the GrimmSpeed manual boost controller, you can adjust it to the max boost setting and then back to a lower boost setting without damaging the spring as many times as you like.

good thing you junk mbc just took a **** after 2 weeks adjusted all the way down and boom wtf is this wont hold boost for **** now
Really? It sounds then like something incorrectly connected or the issue is attributed to another part. I prefer not to clutter this test thread up though, I'm shooting you a PM now so we can sort this out.

On a side note, I believe its worth noting that we actually connected our MBC to a drill (we took the inline nipple and locked it into the chuck) We spun it at full speed and torque in and out for over a week on end passing it between the employees. We wanted to test the durability and how many clicks it could handle. We calculated roughly over 100,000 full force no mercy clicks(we stopped because we actually had work to do and there was no end in sight) in and out. We popped it back out and it still adjusted perfectly and held boost as good as it was new.

And for the note on the Forge, it is a wonderful unit, and I would not hesitate for one second to use it myself. However we only have one spring, and that's why I choose ours over the Forge, well I guess there are a couple other reasons too

I do not understand where all of this angst comes from, I have no problem sharing the podium with other creative well manufactured products, but since we have an in house engineer and design all of our parts here, I must say I respect people that come up with their own uniques designs.

Will
Old May 13, 2011, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
You can disconnect the wastegate line all together and you'll get no where near 100 psi on an FP black...

Seems like they are all the same performance wise to me and you should pick the one you like. If you look at the chart you can tell the difference in spool is within a 1-2 samples which means I would only trust the data +/- 100 RPM anyway.
Agreed. I like the hallman because it has the in cabin adjuster. I hate getting out and popping the hood to adjust it down and up with drastic temp changes.

Quick Reply: MBC Testing by Boosted Tuning