Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

MBC Testing by Boosted Tuning

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2011, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
There is one unique design in this thread actually and everyone else, as much as I hate to say it, copied him, hallman. Too bad he's not a man of his word.
Old May 13, 2011, 11:02 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
nice testing... hallman just released a heavy spring tho about 1 month ago if you call them up and ask they will send it to you for free im sure. id like to see what the difference is in the springs.

and ya Dave: you did ALOT of testing.. especially on intake manifolds (which are a ***** to take off and on) and intercoolers and other things.
Old May 13, 2011, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

i had a forge MBC. the ball would get stock quite often. i even greased it and cleaned it and it still got stuck.
Old May 13, 2011, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
nice testing... hallman just released a heavy spring tho about 1 month ago if you call them up and ask they will send it to you for free im sure. id like to see what the difference is in the springs.

and ya Dave: you did ALOT of testing.. especially on intake manifolds (which are a ***** to take off and on) and intercoolers and other things.
^^^what Tom said about the heavy spring...

Boosted...So this test was done with the Hallman using the softer spring and ceramic ball?? I think you would see different results testing it with the steel ball and stiff spring like I said before...
Old May 13, 2011, 12:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CBRE
I have a great mounting solution for the BR inline, im just not sure how to post a pic on this site, I can take a quick pic if anyone likes.
I would love to see it.

Originally Posted by RJSP
How was the 27 psi target boost set? An air compressor? Just curious and thanks again for taking the time to do this test.
I would install the MBC, then set the boost like normal, do a pull, check the log, raises boost, till it was a close as possible to 27psi.

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Thank you very much for the testing, the effort and adding in the RPM vs 20 psi target.

I took the average of each of the three runs for all three points you tested and posted for each controller. They are all very close, much closer than I thought they would be. Based on your testing the Forge wins the testing. Which spring is in the Forge, light or heavy?

Doing testing is a pretty thankless job, I've been down this same road for probably hundreds of tests on here. I appreciate you adding to the good information that's posted here on the forums.
Thanks for the kind words. Its really appreciated coming from you.

The FORGE is running the heavy spring.

Originally Posted by evodan2004
i had a forge MBC. the ball would get stock quite often. i even greased it and cleaned it and it still got stuck.
I have been using FORGE MBC's since 06'. I have had 3 of them installed in 3 EVO's and 1 STi. I have never had a problem with the ball getting stuck, nor have I ever had to clean one.

Originally Posted by 06MREvo
^^^what Tom said about the heavy spring...

Boosted...So this test was done with the Hallman using the softer spring and ceramic ball?? I think you would see different results testing it with the steel ball and stiff spring like I said before...
I do not know the specifics of the Hallman. It was provided by Project Skyline. Hopefully he know exactly what model it is and what spring it is running and can chime in.

Last edited by Boosted Tuning; May 13, 2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old May 13, 2011, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boosted Tuning

I have been using FORGE MBC's since 06'. I have had 3 of them installed in 3 EVO and 1 STi. I have never had a problem with the ball getting stuck, nor have I ever had to clean one.
funny i had it replaced by forge. and the new one also gave me trouble a few months later. a friend of mine bought one and had the same trouble. also do a search on here. its a common thing ''when they came out''..... maybe its been revised i dont know. i threw them out and wont buy them again. im not looking to argue i was just stating the issue's i have had with a part you tested.
Old May 13, 2011, 01:18 PM
Former Sponsor

heres a hallman pro rx with ceramic ball and stiffer spring (not the newest stiff spring)

on my car with the br 2.3 and stage 3 head and fp black .. exhaust manifold is ported so is the turbo.

temps were 75f, wastegate is a 25psi actuator preloaded to hold 29-30psi.

i have noticed the hallman control is very sensitive to turns of the knob.. if not turned just right it bleeds off excessively.
Old May 13, 2011, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would say the boost you are holding up top is due to the wga spring/pre load.
Connect your boost source directly to the wga and it will still creep to something close to 27psi at 7000rpm... I don't think the mbc is adding much in this case
Old May 13, 2011, 04:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by darwin_evo
I would say the boost you are holding up top is due to the wga spring/pre load.
Connect your boost source directly to the wga and it will still creep to something close to 27psi at 7000rpm... I don't think the mbc is adding much in this case
ya ive done that test a long time ago. here were the results.. you're right btw.

mainly i was showing the quick spool tho.
Old May 14, 2011, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

The hallman is the ceramic ball with light spring according to my friend who provided it.
Old May 14, 2011, 09:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So which came first, the BR MBC or the Perrin MBC? What is the difference?
Old May 14, 2011, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks for the testing. I've used the hallman for a while now and like it. I think I will be going to ECU controlled boost though as to get 16 psi at 7000 RPM, I have to spike the boost to 27 psi on the IX turbo. ~27 psi on the IX turbo and 91 octane is a little tricky on the tuning side and doesn't really drive that smoothly.

With ECU controlled boost, I can kill that spike and hold better top end. Just need to find a high pressure WGA...
Old May 15, 2011, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO-IX-MR
So which came first, the BR MBC or the Perrin MBC? What is the difference?
Perrin was first. There's an old thread on here with all the drama that usually follows when a competitors copies the others product. It may have been deleted though.

I personally like the Perrin in-line. I had a Hallman for a long time after chucking away my electronic 3 port back in 2004. The Hallman has been nothing but reliable. But like previously mentioned, you had to make sure you had it twisted just perfect or it would bleed excess boost. I don't know how else to explain it than you give it a quarter twist, it would spike 24 psi but only hold 19 up top, twist it up a 1/4, come back an 1/8 and it would now hold 21 psi up top. Very frustrating.

The Perrin in-line is straight, set it and it is consistent. No more twist turn, test, twist turn, test, and repeat.

I was hoping the GrimmSpeed would beat the Perrin/Buschur. Guess I'll stick with what I have.
Old May 15, 2011, 10:26 AM
kpr
Evolving Member

GRIMMSPEED

I have your mbc, I like it. Can you tell us where its made? I could find nothing that said it on any of your paper work.
Thanks
Old May 15, 2011, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have the perrin one, and i really like it. zero problems.

my forge was ****y... but maybe i got a bummed one.

Quick Reply: MBC Testing by Boosted Tuning