Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

MBC Testing by Boosted Tuning

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2011, 12:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 06MREvo
Sounds good! You are probably correct with the soft spring in the Forge. I bought it from Dynoflush 5 yrs ago during one of his tuning trip as the Forge MBC did perform better then the crappy TurboXs MBC I had on the car. At the time I swapped from the Forge to Hallman I was running 25psi on stock turbo. You are running 27psi on the FP Black correct? I can't remember if you said you were using the soft or stiff spring in the Forge?

Thanks for doing the test Boosted...Anymore tests planned??
Yep, FP Black @ 27psi.

The FORGE had the stiff spring.

Dont have any more test planned yet, but I am always looking for something to test.
Old May 17, 2011, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CBRE
I have a great mounting solution for the BR inline, im just not sure how to post a pic on this site, I can take a quick pic if anyone likes.
Still interested in that picture Mr. Brown...If you want to email it to me Ill post it!
Old May 19, 2011, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those it matters to:

Grimmspeed: Manufactured in Minnesota

Hallman: Manufactured in China.
Old May 19, 2011, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

I wouldn't think it mattered to an EVO owner, considering the car is built in Japan...
Old May 19, 2011, 02:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by project_skyline
According to hallman the ball doesn't affect how it holds just how fast it reacts.

The spring only affects range of boost adjustment. If both these are true then your statements have no regard on taper performance.
the ball is correct what you said.. the ceramic ball allows for more precise boost adjustments within half psi to 1psi increments.

however changing the spring out will make a huge difference, and has everything to do with boost taper. call hallman and ask yourself.
Old May 19, 2011, 02:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by icrnk
For those it matters to:

Grimmspeed: Manufactured in Minnesota

Hallman: Manufactured in China.
Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
I wouldn't think it mattered to an EVO owner, considering the car is built in Japan...
Even though our cars are made in Japan (and giving Japan money is a LOT different then giving China money), I feel better when I buy and use USA made products.

I say all this while I use a FORGE made in the UK.
Old May 19, 2011, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

Some times there just is no US equivalent of a product; as is the case with the Evo. As for an mbc there is very little that is different in function. Also, the fact that there really is not much of a price difference makes it easy for me to decide which one to purchase. I also try to buy US made products as much as possible even if it costs a little more. As with the evo, sometimes I just base it on specs or what I want; such as with my pioneer plasma.

Thanks for the info on the Forge manufacure location. I'd choose them over hallman based on that alone. That's just my preference.

Originally Posted by Boosted Tuning
Even though our cars are made in Japan (and giving Japan money is a LOT different then giving China money), I feel better when I buy and use USA made products.

I say all this while I use a FORGE made in the UK.
Old May 19, 2011, 03:18 PM

Thanks for taking the time to test these. I am very happy with my grimmspeed mbc, definitely not a complicated mess
Old May 19, 2011, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

Good to hear. Just ordered one from MAP as a gift for someone after researching all the available options. The Manufacturing was just another plus for choosing GrimmSpeed.

Originally Posted by turboGarrett
Thanks for taking the time to test these. I am very happy with my grimmspeed mbc, definitely not a complicated mess
Old Jun 10, 2011, 09:43 PM

question about a mbc.. i accidentally twisted my halmann today, and turned it back to where i think it was. assuming im within a half a centimeter of where i was at, am i safe? or do i need to retune
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dope619
question about a mbc.. i accidentally twisted my halmann today, and turned it back to where i think it was. assuming im within a half a centimeter of where i was at, am i safe? or do i need to retune
Haha, you will be fine...You have a boost gauge correct??
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by 06MREvo
Haha, you will be fine...You have a boost gauge correct??
correct. definitely keep an eye on it. appreciate the help man, i dont know how sensitive these things are lol. i also have a CU, and i checked the peak.. would i be able to tell if its changed?
Old Jun 11, 2011, 03:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dope619
..... i also have a CU, and i checked the peak.. would i be able to tell if its changed?
Dumb question but, what does CU stand for? Thanks!
Old Jun 11, 2011, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
the ball is correct what you said.. the ceramic ball allows for more precise boost adjustments within half psi to 1psi increments.

however changing the spring out will make a huge difference, and has everything to do with boost taper. call hallman and ask yourself.
so is it better to have the ceramic ball with the stiff spring or steal ball with the stiff spring?

my hallman pro is about 4 years old with the soft spring & steal ball with zero problems, i was going to get a grimmspeed mbc but i think im going to just change the spring out of the hallman

John
Old Jun 11, 2011, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well ive ran a greddy profec b spec 2 for about a year, a dejon tool mbc with the taper hole enlarged for about 2 years, and now swapping to a gruppe s 3port soon, see i like mbc becuz there simple, its kind of the set it and forget it method, but ive noticed temp differences altititude differences, all plays effect in how the mbc reacts, which has its good points and bad points. Part of the reason why im swapping to a gruppe s 3port, so that way the boost taper that mbc usually have(for example, before enlarging the boost taper hole, i would lose about 4 psi from peak to redline, eyeballing gauge, whereas after enlarging it dropped down to about 2-3 psi) for the most part can be eliminated or maybe only a 1-2 lb drop which = more power in higher rpms. That and a 3 port works with the ecu a lot easier then a mbc. thats my 0.02

Quick Reply: MBC Testing by Boosted Tuning