Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Random Overboosting

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2011 | 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Random Overboosting

Recently I have switched from a stock frame turbo setup to a T3. I am using a Greddy profec 2 spec b to control boost. I also have a HFS-3 which is tied into it for a failsafe.

Everything has been going fine. I have been consistenly hitting my target boost at 30psi. The other day while driving I went wot while entering the highway and heard a violent popping noise. I looked down and my gauge stated that I had touched 37psi. I double checked the controler and gave it some gas again to double check and it hit target boost again...strange.

Last night while driving again I was mergeing and went wot and heard the same poping noise checked it and I had hit 35 again....WTF. I checked the settings and there are the same as always. I gave it some gas to check it again...46.5 psi as fast I as could let off.

I took a pic of it on my ebc and turned the settings to extremely conservative settings. I was lucky and did not lift the head. It did blow out the porcelian shroud around one spark plugs diode though.

After changing the plugs everything seems to be fine. I am now nerveous about going wot again. Any suggestions and where to start. I believe that I have found a very small cut on a vaccum line. It is strange that the overboosting seems to be random. I am using reinforced fuel line for the vaccum lines and the lines are worm drive clamped on to the connections. I am using each port of the wastegate as illustrated.

When the over boosting happens I can not hear my wastegate open (its an open dump). Could the wastegate be sticking? I am going to follow all the lines and replace any with holes/tears if I find any more. Could the EBC selnoid finally be giving out. Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated.
Old May 13, 2011 | 06:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Do you have a MBC laying around? If so, quickly throwing it in may answer some questions.
Old May 13, 2011 | 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

What wastegate are you running, dude?
Old May 13, 2011 | 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

tial 44mm

Good idea Jay, I am going to see if I can't find a local around here to let me borrow a manual controler for a day. I sold my old hallman.

Its funny that I have gotten so used to the sound of the dump that when I didn't hear it, I knew that something was wrong.

Its crazy. I believe that I am still on stock head studs. I bought the car with 30k mi on it and have not ever installed them. The only reason I can think of that it didn't lift the head is due to the short period of overboosting and that it blew out the spark so no combustion.
Old May 13, 2011 | 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

You'll wan't to avoid repeating the high overbooost condition. Sometimes the rupture of the gasket can be cumulative. Maybe it doesn't happen after one single overboost event. But the seal if exposed to continual excesive pressure can fail little by little.
Old May 14, 2011 | 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

So I after work I turned down the settings on my EBC and went WOT to see if it would over boost again. This time it had a slight spike but held boost right at 22psi repeatedly.

It seems that it is functioning normally again and I can hit what ever target boost level I choose. I am worried that it may freak out again though. It did it twice the other night and once the week before.

I am begining to think that it may be a wire grounding out or something. I am going to buy a vaccum bar and check all the wires and connections.
Old May 15, 2011 | 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Alright so today I looked had to get some errands and I done decided to third gear pull. I sort of glanced the gauge during it and looked at the final number on the ebc. The boost went to 22psi and held there until about 6000/6500rpm then shot up. I jumped on the clutch and stopped it at 35psi. The other night I was only doing short pulls when testing it. This was the first time I reved it out, besides when it went way over.

It's seems very strange that it would suddenly jump up after holding boost steady up until that point. This did not occur when it was first installed. I made pulls at the track up to 7800 rpm with no issue before. Now it seems that once I hit a rpm point it loses control. My lap top is busted it I would get a log. I will have it back from being fixed.

It turned out to be a frayed wire. Problem fixed.

Last edited by mt057; May 16, 2011 at 10:09 AM.