Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Not much POWER gain after tune???

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2011, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
to be honest man, i havent dealt with the pfc commander, but with that ecu, you should be able to do a 3rd gear pull, and im sure that you can log with that commander, log your 2 byte load, air fuel if possible, timing, knock sum count. Those 4 things should be able to tell if somethin is out of the ordinary?? Now by chance do you have a wideband installed on the car??
Old May 14, 2011, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dastallion951
to be honest man, i havent dealt with the pfc commander, but with that ecu, you should be able to do a 3rd gear pull, and im sure that you can log with that commander, log your 2 byte load, air fuel if possible, timing, knock sum count. Those 4 things should be able to tell if somethin is out of the ordinary?? Now by chance do you have a wideband installed on the car??
No wideband but my tuner said the knock level is low...Then ive to update you guys by monday once ive gone for a dyno run...

Will do my own fine tune on the boost controller again tmr to see if i could get the boost above 1.5 bar...
Old May 14, 2011, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by erald01
profec b is the worse EBC i had to deal with. I had two different ones and i could never get mine to go past 22 psi, i say put in an MBC and call it a day.
If you couldn't get it past 22psi, that's user error. I ran one for 3 yrs at 25lbs. It also was a 3 port before 3 ports were even popular on this site. Although a bit confusing when first using it, you shouldn't just perpetuate that it isn't a viable option.
Old May 14, 2011, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boostless
If you couldn't get it past 22psi, that's user error. I ran one for 3 yrs at 25lbs. It also was a 3 port before 3 ports were even popular on this site. Although a bit confusing when first using it, you shouldn't just perpetuate that it isn't a viable option.
Hi,
mind to share your setting for 25psi?
Old May 14, 2011, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Btw, will fine tuning the boost controller affect the earlier tune?
Old May 14, 2011, 09:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Power fc is completely diff than our ecu. I have tuned a few power fc. He wont be able give melon a log because his using a hand controller. Theres no way for him to pull logs from it or even hook up a wideband to it for afr vs rpm. I would recommend getting a datalogit for the power fc. It lets u use that ecu at its full potential and also log what he needs.
Old May 14, 2011, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

hey man good to know learn somethin new everyday, i dont pretend to know everything, so some stuff i can offer advice on, other times I just can give a general idea of what he should do. Well that kinda blows on the no datalogging capability with the PFC... sucks about havin to buy more software to work with it, but sounds like its worth every penny.... Especially if your running into tuning issues. As far as what you said earlier james, considering the readjusting the boost controller effecting the tune, it might affect it a bit, but as long as your knock was 0 which u said, and if ur tuner made ur a/f conservative, id say you should be fine, just if it starts hiccuping or misfiring during the pull, let off completely and coast down to lower rpms...good luck man.
Old May 14, 2011, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have a greddy profec b spec2 for 4 yrs. It has worked great. Each turbo and bov I have used requires different settings so it is hard to say what others should use. With my 3582 I use a set of 56% to hit 30psi. With my red I had to run 68% to hit 30psi. With my stock evo8 dv, I could not boost over 28psi no matter what.

Recently I had a wire connection or wastegate issue and hit 46.5psi on accident.
Old May 14, 2011, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

^^ damn man 46.5 psi, how did it pull did you even make it through the rev range....thats a lot im sure your motor wasnt likin u for a bit haha...
Old May 14, 2011, 10:29 AM

The PFC is a great ecu once he gets that extra hardware. Yes it sux that he has to fork out $400 for something a stand alone should already do. Which version do you have? Is it the D jetro? If it is I would check for boost leaks. The reason i say this is beacuse you wouldnt really notice boost leaks that easy on speed density.( meaning that the car wouldnt jerk if it was a big leak). The tell tell signs are harder to see. example

On a MAF setup a boost or vacuum leak post sensor will cause idle issues, stalling, bogging, poor throttle response, rich and or lean conditions etc.

Using speed density non of those issues apply compared to a MAF setup.
Old May 14, 2011, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
^^ damn man 46.5 psi, how did it pull did you even make it through the rev range....thats a lot im sure your motor wasnt likin u for a bit haha...
Yeah it didn't make it all the way through. I think that it was at about 6000rpm. My car made a very rapid suscession of popping noises and I let off quickly. My buddy behind me said I let off a huge black plume of smoke. After that the car was idling and cruising horribly. Turned out that I had blown the tip off the spark plug and the porcelin around the center electrode was loose. If you turned it upside down the porcelin insulator would fall and touch the ground electrode.

+1 on the boost leak test.
Old May 14, 2011, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Thank you so much guys for sharing...Really appreciate it...

Im using L-Jettro model (MAF) and will re-check the boost leak again.

Last edited by jameswwt; May 14, 2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old May 17, 2011, 03:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So james ...
Any update on your car regarding tuning issue ?
Old May 20, 2011, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Hi Guys,
ive went for a power run today and my power only clock 340whp on 1.6bar...
So disappointed and what do you guys think the average power should i achieve for my engine set-up?

So envy to see those who achieved 30~40whp by just putting in a GSC S2 cams with stock turbo...

Mine with S2 cams and bigger turbo but the result sucks....

Last edited by jameswwt; May 20, 2011 at 07:42 AM.
Old May 20, 2011, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

Hi jameswwt, you really should get the Dataloggit interface and use FC-edit software for tuning the Power FC, its a world of difference compared to just using the FC commander.

I used to run a Power FC in my JDM STi with the additional hardware and was able to log wideband AFRīs with a AEM UEGO (LC1 is better though), which is crucial for a good tune. Also the commander just lets you see 1/8 of the maps at a time and is very cumbersome for tuning, with FC-edit you can see the whole map and trace it. Another important thing is your mapīs load scaling, I remmember having to rescale my maps when I was close to 300 whp (MD), so if you are above that without having rescaled your maps Iīd imagine that is holding you down as well.

Also be very carefull about knock, as the Power FC only tells you there is knock but does nothing about it, in my STi I aimmed for 0 knock, would tolerate up to 12, but more than a couple 80 - 100 counts meant get a new engine (Subaruīs case at least).

Good luck,

Ricardo

Quick Reply: Not much POWER gain after tune???