Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

messed around with MBC, now misfiring???

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2011, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well in addition to a boost leak, those junky autozone plugs dont help, **** you might as well ignite the combustion chamber with a bbq lighter hahaha jk, but yea some new plugs since your gettin misfire issues, with your new plugs double check the gap before installing try gappin them to about .022, to start anywhere from .020 to .024 should be good enough to get rid of the misfire issue.
Old May 17, 2011, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dastallion951
well in addition to a boost leak, those junky autozone plugs dont help, **** you might as well ignite the combustion chamber with a bbq lighter hahaha jk, but yea some new plugs since your gettin misfire issues, with your new plugs double check the gap before installing try gappin them to about .022, to start anywhere from .020 to .024 should be good enough to get rid of the misfire issue.
havent been getting misfires since i put in some new bpr7es's, but I havent been pushing my car when my AFR has been reading less than 10.

I gapped mine to .028, I thought the 8's were supposed to be gapped that much? should I go lower?

the original bpr7's I took out had a huge gap of .034-38 and I wasnt getting any misfires until, well, **** hit the fan

hopefully I can do a boost leak test tomorrow...
Old May 18, 2011, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry man I misread, thinking that you still had the Autozone plugs in still, but those NGK's i've heard good things about them. Personally, I switched from the ngk bpr8es, to the DENSO IW24, which are one step colder iridium like what the plugs you have are. I was told if your going for higher then stock boost, you want to gap down the plugs a little bit under stock. I even run a Sparktech Non Cdi COP, on top of it. To be honest man doing a boost leak test and making one yourself isnt hard. Since your on stock turbo, search DSM/EVO boost leak tester kit online iirc there from the midwest, its like 30-40 all you need is a way to pump air into your intercooler piping (Air Compressor, Bike Pump), and you just need a plastic cap that you can find at Home Depot/Lowes, that will sit in the coupler that goes onto the Throttle Body. The tester also if I remember, has a gauge built in. Its really not that complicated to do a boost leak test. But good luck man
Old May 22, 2011, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PROBLEM FIXED:

Finally installed my boost guage and LC-1 wideband on my next day off after this mess and immediately went across the city to find some bpr7es's and gapped them to .028, then went straight to Autozone and returned the POS iridium autolites I purchased from them.

drove cautiously on the way home, making note of my AFR, but couldnt read correct boost because of my stupid electronic STRI gauge kept messing up (I HATE STRI).
I did a light pull in 5th on the freeway, and saw my AFR drop into the low 10's, so I immediately let off and just casually cruised home. No misses though...

So I get home, switch my newly installed stock 9 metal BOV with my original Greddy RS that came installed with the car (and tuned with the car, for that matter), and also threw in a newer set of 9 coil packs (even though i hadnt misfired yet with the new plugs)

got my STRI working somewhat a day or two later and started with the tweaking. I began turning my boost up slowly with my MBC, and aimed to getting my AFR's as close to 11.5 through redline. I ended up setting my boost to ~22psi with AFR holding a steady 11.3-5

NO missing during the entire process!!
Old May 24, 2011, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

so from what it sounds like either u fixed that boost leak by reinstalling it, or your stock bov is leaking...