Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Sandblasted Valve Cover Problem

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2011, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sandblasted Valve Cover Problem

So I'm in sort of a tough spot. I'm currently doing a 2.1 build for my Evo 8. I thought while I had everything apart I might as well have the valve cover powder coated. So about a week ago I had it coated and picked it up and admired it's beauty. This is the first item that I have ever had sand-blasted and If I would have known I wouldn't have had it blasted. Also you would think the powder coating shop would have forewarned me about the possibilities as they are a legit business.

My brother called me and told me about how he had his done recently and he had heard that once you have them sand blasted/ media blasted/bead blasted/ whatever other types of blasting there is that its hard to get the material out from behind the baffles. I have searched the forum and have read other threads from which people claim that you can remove the baffles and have them spot welded back on. However, I have not seen a successful post or write up of the steps in which need to be taken to effectively clean out the valve cover or by removing the baffles and re-attaching them. Call me paranoid but maybe being paranoid about something like this could possibly keep me from destroying my complete engine build.

I'm sure there are many people on this forum that have had their valve cover done and have had the same problem. What did you do?

Thanks,
Andrew
Old May 16, 2011, 12:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why did the inside get blasted?
Old May 16, 2011, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by 05VIII
why did the inside get blasted?
I'm sure the inside didn't get blasted directly. What usually happens is when it is getting blasted the mist like particles make their way to the backside and find their way inside the baffles on the bottom side of the valve cover. Also the sand usually stores in tiny areas in the cracks and inside the baffle due to engine sludge and buildup that has occurred naturally over time. There was microscopic particles along the bottom side of the valve cover that you really cant see but if you rub your finger you will pick up tiny bits of sand.
Old May 16, 2011, 12:56 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Did u try to clean it with, say gas and a brush?
Old May 16, 2011, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by MR. EVO MR
Did u try to clean it with, say gas and a brush?
That is a possibility that I have thought about. The problem isn't cleaning it off the bottom. It's taking off the baffles and reattaching them. I'm sure its been done but I just thought i'd get some ideas or people that have completed this task before I dig in and start tapping out factory rivets. I've read on another forum "DSM Forum" of a similar problem that I guy had and he ended up going through 4 motors because of particles getting through the filter and destroying the oil pump. There's also the question about just removing the baffles and running without them but that may cause my catch can to fill up rapidly.
Old May 16, 2011, 03:32 PM

Bump for any other suggestions!
Old May 16, 2011, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was in the same boat as you a few weeks ago. I was lucky though. The previous owner had the spot welds drilled so the baffles were removed. Then he was so clever to have the holes drilled and tapped, so I can remove the baffles, and re0install with some red loctite and allen head cap machine screws! I was soo relieved, cause my valve cover had some coating on it, that would not come off any other way than sandblasting.

I would say your only bet is to have the spotwelds drilled out so you can remove the baffles and make sure everything is out.
Old May 16, 2011, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

Have you tried a power washer? I've sandblasted several DSM VC's, power washed them thoroughly, and never had any issues on my personal car.
Old May 16, 2011, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tsidrift1
I was in the same boat as you a few weeks ago. I was lucky though. The previous owner had the spot welds drilled so the baffles were removed. Then he was so clever to have the holes drilled and tapped, so I can remove the baffles, and re0install with some red loctite and allen head cap machine screws! I was soo relieved, cause my valve cover had some coating on it, that would not come off any other way than sandblasting.

I would say your only bet is to have the spotwelds drilled out so you can remove the baffles and make sure everything is out.

ya you can flush it out for days straight, your still not going to get 100% of the glass beads out, I want to powdercoat mine, I think im going to drill and tap or rivit it back on thanks!
Old May 16, 2011, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
You are not getting that out of it without completely removing the baffles. MANY EVO engines are being destroyed from this exact same thing. GLASS bead and sand blasting has NO, NO place near any internal engine parts, end of story.

You can remove the baffles and clean it. Drill and tap with super small bolts to put it back together if you like but there is no way I'd do that. I'd trust JB weld first. Honestly, I'd throw it in the garbage and buy a new one if it was for my engine.
Old May 16, 2011, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Honestly, I'd throw it in the garbage and buy a new one if it was for my engine.
^Exactly.

Bottom line is there are ways around getting a new one, but do you want to risk it?

You can clean it with whatever you'd like to make you feel at ease, but does that guarantee that its all gone? You can blast it with a power washer for days straight, but how about when you are racing around and the motor gets fire hot and the metal expands? Any left in cracks and crevices could make its way out and into your oil.

If you remove the baffle and reinstall, then you have a bolt exposed to tons of heat, vibration and has gravity fighting against you.

The only thing I could think of is removing the baffle and having it welded, but you can pick up a used one for the same price and avoid the hassle.

Start shopping for part-outs.....
Old May 16, 2011, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Good God you can not weld it! Don't do that! It's Magnesium and the shielding under it is steel.
Old May 17, 2011, 03:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I have had my valve cover on for a while now and everything is fine. All I did was let it sit in the parts washer over night blew it dry with the air compressor, filled it with engine degreaser and let it sit for a while... again blew it out. Then I ran water through it at some what high pressure and again blew it out.
Old May 17, 2011, 03:39 AM
Evolved Member

fill your sink up with soapy water. This is how i cleaned mine out after i media blasted it. just hold it under water and pick it up and let the water flow through the baffles about 2 dozen times. Its really not that complicated...your
just cleaning something out
Old May 17, 2011, 04:29 AM
Evolving Member

Next time use baking soda, and wash the **** out of it! It will dissolve when you wash out the oil.

Quick Reply: Sandblasted Valve Cover Problem