Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

BPR7EIX,BPR8EIX, or BPR8ES

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2011, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BPR7EIX,BPR8EIX, or BPR8ES

I bought my evo about two years ago and im fairly sure its time for new plugs, not to mention im hoping to be getting a tune pretty soon. Current mods are as follows: hks intake, hks 272s, evo 8 turbo with 10.5 hotside, vta o2 dump, 3" dp, full 3" exhaust, uicp, licp, ic, walbro 255, hks evc, hks ssqv, flashed ecu done by turbotrix, forge wg actuator currently on 21 psi. The car currently has the bpr8es plugs. My plans are to bump the boost up to around 25 tapering to around 19 and adding a set of 750cc injectors. What plugs would you recommend and what gap for my setup. Should I leave the gap around .020-.024? I read that the es plugs are copper and need to be changed more often but are a step colder than factory. What about the 7eix and 8eix. Doesn't the number reflect the heat range?
Old May 16, 2011, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by awdordie
I bought my evo about two years ago and im fairly sure its time for new plugs, not to mention im hoping to be getting a tune pretty soon. Current mods are as follows: hks intake, hks 272s, evo 8 turbo with 10.5 hotside, vta o2 dump, 3" dp, full 3" exhaust, uicp, licp, ic, walbro 255, hks evc, hks ssqv, flashed ecu done by turbotrix, forge wg actuator currently on 21 psi. The car currently has the bpr8es plugs. My plans are to bump the boost up to around 25 tapering to around 19 and adding a set of 750cc injectors. What plugs would you recommend and what gap for my setup. Should I leave the gap around .020-.024? I read that the es plugs are copper and need to be changed more often but are a step colder than factory. What about the 7eix and 8eix. Doesn't the number reflect the heat range?
I have basically the same mods as you +850cc injectors and I run 23-24 psi tapering to 19-20 psi and run the BPR8ES gapped to .024 with great success.

No misfires, knock or other problems. I replace them every other oil change. They always look like they could go for a lot longer. But for $8 it can't hurt to change them.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 12:30 PM

Maybe someone can help me here too..

I put a walbro 255 in and took it out not realizing Id need a tune for it. since then Ive been only getting to about 11psi and backfires and starts shaking. I was thinking it might be bad plugs, maybe I fouled them off with that walbro. So I have BPR7EIX gapped to .022 in there now. This helped but didnt fix it totally. Im gonna try BPR8ES to see what happens. Does this sound like Im on the right track? Maybe Ill need new wires? Or is it time fora tune? Any input or ideas is much appriciated!
Old Nov 12, 2011, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The BPR7ES or BPR7ES seem to work fine and are so cheap compared to OEM plugs you can change them far more ofter based on cost anyway.

Rocketdive, if your issues only occured after fitting the Walbro I would check the install. Did you swap the little white spacer from the OEM pump to the Walbro on the inlet to the carrier?
Just to adding a walbro will not have an effect unless your OEM pump was weak, so not being able to supply flow/pressure at higher rpm/boost, fuel pressure is controlled by the FPR.

Last edited by grayw; Nov 12, 2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 05:11 PM

Grayw, I had the walbro in for maybe 30 miles and was only getting like 7 mpg and no more than 5 psi boost. So I switched it back so its exactly as it was before the new pump. Ill go back and pull it apart and double check everything. I have a 2005 8, and I read that 2006 and up had a stronger fuel pump stock so switching to the walbro wasnt a big deal but the earlier years would need a tune. Im hoping I didnt throw anything out of whack in that short of a time. Im going to replace my plugs with BPR8ES and see what happens. worst case scenario, Im no better off than I was and 15 dollars poorer. lol. Thanks for the suggestions!
Old Nov 12, 2011, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

I believe I'm running the BPR7ES's right now, but was advised the last time I was tuned at CBRD to go back to an iridium plug.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 11:50 AM

UPDATE: problem fixed.

If anybody is getting what feels like a fuel cut around 3500 rpm, but still had a smooth idle and no CEL's coming up. Check the pump! All I did was pull it out, disconnect everything, and put it back together making sure it all looked 110% perfect and making sure there was no rips in any hoses. Then I put it back in, And just like that its feeling great.

From what I can gather, it was pumping fine until I got on the throttle, and maybe all the fuel it needed was being squirted out the side through a loose grommet. Hopefully this helps someone out!
Old Nov 18, 2011, 01:36 AM
Evolving Member

glad u got that fixed... i had the same issue but fftech solved my problem...also note that u shuld change ur gasket once u've opened it... mine smelled hella gas at full tank