Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Problems with Reverse

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2011, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems with Reverse

I am having problem's with my EVO 8. Its been grinding sometimes when I try to get into reverse. I found that if I put it in first then go to reverse it works fine.

I don't have any problem's getting into any other gear's. Is this normal for a older evo or should I be worried? The car is a 2003 and it has 83k original mile's.

Car has a aftermarket clutch and flywheel.
Old May 20, 2011, 06:45 PM

try replace the oil in a gearbox and differentials
Old May 21, 2011, 03:08 PM

in gearbox put penzzoil synchromesh. you can buy it in autozone.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

Try adjusting the clutch rod.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 01:17 PM

do not use syncromesh royal purple call ur dealer and get some evo 9 mr trans fluid
here is the link from extreme psi http://www.extremepsi.com/store/prod...cat=958&page=1 (note this fluid is TRANS ONLY do not put it in your t case)

but back to topic i had the same problem with mine a few months ago and after fighting with it for more than long enough i had jacks transmission go through and rebuild mine (after having to buy a new core cause using royal purp and penz syncro caused a gear to discintergrate putting a whole in the case they do not lube and cool the gears enough) they told me that reverse because of its location in the transmission its generally the gear where problems start to appear i would try new fluid a clutch adjustment and system bleed and if that don work i would start saving for a rebuild cause that sounds just like mine and i had about that mileage when it started
Old Jun 22, 2013, 09:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pitbulllove2003
do not use syncromesh royal purple call ur dealer and get some evo 9 mr trans fluid
here is the link from extreme psi http://www.extremepsi.com/store/prod...cat=958&page=1 (note this fluid is TRANS ONLY do not put it in your t case)

but back to topic i had the same problem with mine a few months ago and after fighting with it for more than long enough i had jacks transmission go through and rebuild mine (after having to buy a new core cause using royal purp and penz syncro caused a gear to discintergrate putting a whole in the case they do not lube and cool the gears enough) they told me that reverse because of its location in the transmission its generally the gear where problems start to appear i would try new fluid a clutch adjustment and system bleed and if that don work i would start saving for a rebuild cause that sounds just like mine and i had about that mileage when it started
same thing happened to me earlier this year with my reverse gear( car came from auction) on top of having a bad 5th gear. once all back together, i'm sticking solely to oem fluids
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:02 PM

yep O.E.M. fluids are AMAZING unless u have crazy built stuff (i.e. jacks stage 5 trans and tcase build or shep indestructible yadda yadda) they will usually want / call for redline shock proof or whatever its called n that is the only other fluid that jacks transmission countless other members myself included will tell u to use in are evo's