Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Quaife lsd in a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2011, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fknfstevo
How much was your rebuild if you dont mind me asking? Kinda tight on funds right now. I have already put out close to 7k and have about 6k left I believe. It seems like everyday the list is growing longer.
Don't hold me to the exact amount here (let's say +/- $50), since I did a full transmission and TC rebuild at the time, but IIRC, the front LSD cost me $300 and the TC rebuild another $300.

l8r)
Old May 27, 2011, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by browningderek
you could rebuild your rear diff. its not hard at all. Mitsu left 1 friction plate out of the 8 diffs so all you gotta do is buy a FULL rebuild kit and install the plates. same as shep and tre $400 diff service. After they are rebuild tight they make noise when you turn slowly so if that does not bother you go for it!
There's a little bit more to it than that ... at least if you're getting it rebuilt by TRE. And yes, it does make noise when you're executing slow, tight turns.

l8r)
Old May 27, 2011, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ludikraut
There's a little bit more to it than that ... at least if you're getting it rebuilt by TRE. And yes, it does make noise when you're executing slow, tight turns.
This is why a modified clutch-pack (like a Kaaz) with aggressive angles on the cams is so much better for daily-driven cars. You can have a relatively lower level of pre-load so the thing is almost completely unlocked when little torque is going through it. But then it locks hard when you floor it.
Old May 27, 2011, 12:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 753 Likes on 578 Posts
Ive talked to Charles a few times and definitely well know their setup. They do things a little different than how DG did it. DG took the analytical approach (which is what ive done as well) where Charles set up seems to go against a little of that, at least in the spring rate setup. But either way, yeah he's showing that a 2g actually can handle.

Me personally, Im running the Evo now and having a blast actually being somewhat PAX competitive. My old co-driver took over the talon but we're still working to make it a beast. Hopefully we see some good results out of it.
Old May 27, 2011, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes, Dennis was analytical, while Chuckles and Fedja are more empirical, but keep in mind that Dennis also had some core misunderstandings that he never corrected, coupled with a decided unsmooth driving style that required a certain set-up to overcome (which he did succeed in doing). And then there's Sean Caron with his near-stock drivetrain who was faster than everyone else (at least back when all four of them were driving DSMs), mostly because he was the smoothest driver I've seen besides Sam Strano. (To be fair, if we're trotting down memory lane, listing favorite DSM drivers, we can't leave out Sam Krauss, who was the best Stock-class DSM driver, IMO.)

Sort-of funny story: I never bought R-comps for my DSM. I always ran whatever Chuckles would give me after he was done with them. One trip to New England per year kept me shod.
Old May 27, 2011, 10:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 753 Likes on 578 Posts
Haha, thats awesome. If only I could have been in that region in those days. Im stuck here in the NW chasing stock class national champs in PAX.. Not an easy task, but would have loved to compete against old school dsmers.