Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Quaife lsd in a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2011, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quaife lsd in a daily driver?

I recently sent my 03 tranny and tc in to shep to get rebuilt, as it turns out I had to go with the stage 2 for both of them. I heard somewhere that the quaife is not good for a daily driver because it will generate too much heat. Anyone know anything about this? I will be hitting the 1/4 track as well as the streets but 1 or 2 weekends a month. I have searched around and have seen that it will be the right one for me but was just curious about this rumor of increased heat. Thanks!
Old May 21, 2011, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Helical LSDs don't start to lock until the amounts of torque transmitted to the two outputs are different, so unless you drive like a madman on the street, I don't see it producing much if any heat. Clutchpacks lock as a function of total transmitted torque, so these often start to lock when they really don't need to, so they would be a little more likely to produce heat driving around town. Viscous couplings (as on old DSMs, for example) start to lock as soon as the two outputs rotate at different speeds, so these are the LSDs that produce the most heat just tooling around.

Last edited by Iowa999; May 22, 2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old May 21, 2011, 08:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1 or 2 a month is pretty heavy track use. Id say go for it.
Old May 21, 2011, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

I have been driving with my Quaife LSD in my Evo for well over 100k miles and it was the 2nd or 3rd mod I did on the car after buying it new in '03

It makes the car handle the way it should from the factory. I have no idea what they were thinking, Mitsubishi should have never released the car with an open diff.
Old May 21, 2011, 08:56 AM

go for it
Old May 25, 2011, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for input guys! I am going with it. Bullet proof trans and tc are well worth it.
Old May 26, 2011, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

I love my Quaife lsd. Open sucks as just one front tire spins, get your rear diff. tightened up from shep and you will be able to do some ken block drifting without any problems. I need a set of tires cause i got a little over excited. LOL
Old May 26, 2011, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by browningderek
I love my Quaife lsd. Open sucks as just one front tire spins, get your rear diff. tightened up from shep and you will be able to do some ken block drifting without any problems. I need a set of tires cause i got a little over excited. LOL
Lol! What do you mean by tightened up? Rebuilt by them?
Old May 26, 2011, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

^ Yes.

Worth every penny to upgrade your rear diff. Much more so than the front diff, IMO. I also have an '03 and an upgraded rear diff (in my case from TRE) worked wonders. I then added a front Mitsu LSD, which helped even more. It is definitely worth it to do both, but the rear diff has a greater effect on overall handling in my experience.

l8r)
Old May 26, 2011, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
^ Yes.

Worth every penny to upgrade your rear diff. Much more so than the front diff, IMO. I also have an '03 and an upgraded rear diff (in my case from TRE) worked wonders. I then added a front Mitsu LSD, which helped even more. It is definitely worth it to do both, but the rear diff has a greater effect on overall handling in my experience.

l8r)
Any reason in particular why you went with the Mitsu unit over a Quaife (other than cost)..I've heard the Mitsu unit can break over 450whp
Old May 26, 2011, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

It was a decision based purely on cost. At the time I sent my TC in, Jon at TRE had a rebuilt Mitsu LSD in stock and made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

l8r)
Old May 26, 2011, 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

How much was your rebuild if you dont mind me asking? Kinda tight on funds right now. I have already put out close to 7k and have about 6k left I believe. It seems like everyday the list is growing longer.
Old May 27, 2011, 07:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 753 Likes on 578 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowa999
Viscous couplings (as on old DSMs, for example).
Or an 03-04 Evo... :P

On my talon I installed a quaife up front for autocross because thats where my primary wheel spin was occuring. It made quite the difference in the way you had to drive the car in that it now absolutely has to be turned under throttle. Off throttle decel causes lots of understeer in a car that already likes to understeer. But if done right definitely picked up time and an ability to put power down.

Unfortunately it really did highlight the weakness in the rear diff. Now pulling out of corners I dont get terminal understeer due to the front inside spinning, but I do get a huge lag from the inside rear spinning. EvoIII diff is on its ways to remedy that though along with my Max Lock for the IX.
Old May 27, 2011, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

you could rebuild your rear diff. its not hard at all. Mitsu left 1 friction plate out of the 8 diffs so all you gotta do is buy a FULL rebuild kit and install the plates. same as shep and tre $400 diff service. After they are rebuild tight they make noise when you turn slowly so if that does not bother you go for it!
Old May 27, 2011, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
On my talon I installed a quaife up front for autocross because thats where my primary wheel spin was occuring. It made quite the difference in the way you had to drive the car in that it now absolutely has to be turned under throttle. Off throttle decel causes lots of understeer in a car that already likes to understeer. But if done right definitely picked up time and an ability to put power down.

Unfortunately it really did highlight the weakness in the rear diff. Now pulling out of corners I dont get terminal understeer due to the front inside spinning, but I do get a huge lag from the inside rear spinning. EvoIII diff is on its ways to remedy that though along with my Max Lock for the IX.
The New England duo of Fedja and Chuckles ended up with the following: Quaife front, Cusco tarmac center (35/65, IIRC) with the half-dead VC still on the side, and Kaaz 1.5-way rear. Is a Max Lock a modified clutch pack, like a Kaaz? If so, then you're heading in the same direction that they went which seemed to work well. I believe that that car finished higher at Nationals than any other ESP DSM.

Quick Reply: Quaife lsd in a daily driver?