Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

2.4 Build

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2011, 11:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2.4 Build

Hi Everyone, so recently I have been thinking of going the 2.4 route. Can you do me a favor and just critique my build list please? I will be running an FP Black with this setup.

Here is what it is composed of:

MAPerformance Ultimate Duty Billet Steel 156mm Long Rods (Evolution 8 & 9)
-ACL 4B1146H Rod Bearings
- Advanced Ceramic Rod Coatings
ACL Race Main/Thrust Bearings
AWD Spec Wiseco HD Pistons
ARP Rod Bolt Kit (DSM / Evo I-X)
ARP Main Studs

Also which head gasket is the best for a 2.4 and what type of machine work would I need? ie: Would I have to bore the stock block out more and if so how much and anyone know what the cost of the machine work usually runs?

Thanks.

Last edited by Insanity Evo; May 24, 2011 at 12:00 AM.
Old May 24, 2011, 12:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
sounds ok to me compression?? also if you get the 4g64 block then not much machine work needs to be done besides cleaning and placing everything together. You did not mention a crank are you using stock 4g64 or getting a eagle etc. What about the timing belt situation vs getting camgears for the water pump are you getting the custom bracket or weilding one in. Those are other questions that you did not ask or state.As for the headgasket you should definatly get the AMS custom 4g64 gasket for the evo its 165 shipped and will seal perfectly.
Old May 24, 2011, 01:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RockmanX
sounds ok to me compression?? also if you get the 4g64 block then not much machine work needs to be done besides cleaning and placing everything together. You did not mention a crank are you using stock 4g64 or getting a eagle etc. What about the timing belt situation vs getting camgears for the water pump are you getting the custom bracket or weilding one in. Those are other questions that you did not ask or state.As for the headgasket you should definatly get the AMS custom 4g64 gasket for the evo its 165 shipped and will seal perfectly.
Thanks Rockman. I will be using aftermarket cam gears and getting the AWD Motorsports Evo 8/9 2.4L Water Pump Spacer. I will be using the stock crank. And would I have to buy a 4g64 timing belt or can I use my current one, which is fairly new. I need to find out from mike@awd, what the compression is on those pistons, but I am aiming in the range of 9.0:1-9.5:1. My car will be running dual maps of 91 oct and e85.

Also does anyone know where I can get a 4g64 balance shaft eliminator kit? And is it worth it?

Thanks for the input!
Old May 24, 2011, 01:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Insanity Evo
Thanks Rockman. I will be using aftermarket cam gears and getting the AWD Motorsports Evo 8/9 2.4L Water Pump Spacer. I will be using the stock crank. And would I have to buy a 4g64 timing belt or can I use my current one, which is fairly new. I need to find out from mike@awd, what the compression is on those pistons, but I am aiming in the range of 9.0:1-9.5:1. My car will be running dual maps of 91 oct and e85.

Also does anyone know where I can get a 4g64 balance shaft eliminator kit? And is it worth it?

Thanks for the input!
Ill take the case since i happen to be awake. you can use either belt. if you use a 4g63 and camgears you just have to stretch it alittle over the idler pully if you go the route i did and get a 4g64 belt then install normal. As for a balance shaft eliminator just get the one from mitsubishi that they make like i did its like 50 dollars just a regular eliminator kit no need for anything special as I have all this stuff done already so i know it works. as far as worth it you are suppose to use BS kit if going built motor lol and its cheap part as i already stated. While im thinking about it make sure you inspect the crank to make sure its in perfect condition and dont for get to get it balanced with your block as well. Dont forget you should also buy a fluidampr as well