Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My clutch wont come off the floor!

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2011, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My clutch wont come off the floor!

Alright so i have a 2003 evo 8. Has about 100k. Has a CC 6 puck clutch. Yesterday i was gettin on it pretty hard and than my pedal just stopped at the floor and wouldnt come back up. I have to actually pull it up with my hand and when i push it again it just stays at the floor. Lately I have been having problems with starting in first gear. The clutch pedal would have a little vibration to it and my car would buck a little as i started out until about 4k.

After the clutch stayed at the floor i parked and pulled the pedal up and started pumping it while the car was off than it would get really stiff and wouldnt push in at all. Than after i start it again it just goes to the floor again. I have been reading and hearing that its either the TOB or master or slave cylinder but i wanted to see if anyone else has had that problem. PLEASE HELP ME.
Old May 25, 2011, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

i never had that issue but it sounds like your master slave cylindar
Old May 25, 2011, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

first top off the your brake fluid. then bleed the clutch and see what happens. if it still does the same thing then its most likely your slave cylinder
Old May 25, 2011, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

you should pull it off the tranny...the two bolts that hold it next to clutch fork.. i think 12mm... see if when you push it its goin in and out...
Old May 25, 2011, 10:31 AM

Alright i'll try these things out first than ill let you know! thanks
Old May 25, 2011, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
If the clutch is pull type I suggest the tob and pressure plate have filed for divorce.
Old May 25, 2011, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
If the clutch is pull type I suggest the tob and pressure plate have filed for divorce.
i was thinking the same thing happened to me 2x man that sucks just to take the trans off just for the tob clip
Old May 25, 2011, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
pull the inspection cover on bottom of tranny to see if the TOB is on all the way or messed up
Old May 25, 2011, 10:49 PM

Anyone have any pictures of this stuff? Whats the easiest way to get to it?
Old May 25, 2011, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The inspection hole is on the bottom of the tranny...it's like a little over a half dollar sized and it's rubber and pulls out...look through there.
Old May 27, 2011, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Its the TOB. Its happened to me twice. Be prepared to buy another clutch.
Old May 27, 2011, 09:40 PM

same thing happened to my car tonight. second time this month. 1st was on the dyno and now tonight doing some pulls. Is there a permanent fix, the clutch and tob are still new with less than 1500 miles. Clutch is a 6 puck, tob is oem. Should I buy a twin disc or triple? other suggestions? Thanks, James
Old May 28, 2011, 06:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
Had the same problem. Clip from pressure plate that goes on TOB went loose. Good luck with that. Most likely you will need new pressure plate.
Old May 30, 2011, 12:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 13laqout
Lately I have been having problems with starting in first gear. The clutch pedal would have a little vibration to it and my car would buck a little as i started out until about 4k.

After the clutch stayed at the floor i parked and pulled the pedal up and started pumping it while the car was off than it would get really stiff and wouldnt push in at all. Than after i start it again it just goes to the floor again. I have been reading and hearing that its either the TOB or master or slave cylinder but i wanted to see if anyone else has had that problem. PLEASE HELP ME.
Do NOT buy a new clutch or tob until you do this...unless you wanted to upgrade the clutch anyway..but either way this would have to be done anyway..I had this problem when I put my motor and trans back in, and did a new clutch/tob while it was apart but it would have happened anyway. Do this, go look at your brake master cylinder, off to the size is a little port where the fluid needs to overflow and it runs into a line and goes to the clutch master cylinder. Look at the color of the reservoir, should be a honey color, look at the nipple coming out of the side of the reservoir, it must be the same color, if it looks white/clear it means there is no fluid in it. With your hand you can take off the hose clamp and pull off the hose coming off the master cylinder, fluid SHOULD come out. If fluid does not come out, top off the master cylinder with new brake fluid and you can jack up the p/s of the car and it will help spill over the fluid out of the brake master and into the clutch line.

I would bet this is the problem....if it was the tob clip the came apart it would NOT build up pedal pressure again, the clutch would stay down and not come up but from what it sounds like it will sometimes build up again and then lose it again.
Old May 30, 2011, 03:15 AM
Evolving Member

Check your slave cylinder and the lines that go from the slave to your master cylinder, your losing fluid somewhere. I actually had a hardline crack and It would do as your describing.

Quick Reply: My clutch wont come off the floor!