Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Low flying airplane sound???

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2011, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low flying airplane sound???

I just recently installed a new Exedy clutch in my 2003 Evo and have started noticing a slight noise while just cruising about 20-40 mph, from what little research I have done it may be a blown transfer case? It does sound a little like a low flying airplane, it doesnt matter if the clutch is engaged or not and it doesnt matter what gear the trans is in, the noise is still there. Which makes me assume the transfer case is the culprit, I dont think its a wheel bearing, Its not loud at all just enough for me to notice, mostly noticed when slowing down because its a quiet noise. The car is basically stock just intake, exhaust, and tune. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Old May 27, 2011, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

You need to describe the sound better....But when I first got my car I was on here reading for hours because of a drivetrain sound with mine and apparently when you switch to a different clutch like the exedy it amplifies the drivetrain sound so it sounds like its a new sound but in reality it just made it more noticeable. It could be just that sound but you need to describe it better and when it does and it doesnt happen. Search on youtube for sounds too.

If the clutch was just done did you recheck the oil in the trans and transfer case? The T-case has small passages and stuff so the oil level can be fine at first but once you drive it the oil level drops and should repeat the procedure a few times by driving it, checking/topping it off and repeating until the oil level stays the same.
Old May 27, 2011, 11:43 PM

I have checked the transfer case level and trans, both are still full. Basically from about 50 mph down to almost 10-5 mph it can be heard but quite faint, Maybe it is what your saying that it amplifies the sound more with an aftermarket clutch so I will just continue to pay attention and see what happens. Thanks for your input!
Old May 28, 2011, 02:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DEvoVIII
I just recently installed a new Exedy clutch in my 2003 Evo and have started noticing a slight noise while just cruising about 20-40 mph, from what little research I have done it may be a blown transfer case? It does sound a little like a low flying airplane, it doesnt matter if the clutch is engaged or not and it doesnt matter what gear the trans is in, the noise is still there. Which makes me assume the transfer case is the culprit, I dont think its a wheel bearing, Its not loud at all just enough for me to notice, mostly noticed when slowing down because its a quiet noise. The car is basically stock just intake, exhaust, and tune. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Does it sound like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_4eSiLFA_o
Old May 28, 2011, 03:18 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I noticed the low flying airplane sound on my X MR too, came to the conclusion that its the turbo.
only notice it in 2nd gear when I take my foot of the gas pedal going around 20mph.
Old May 28, 2011, 04:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Maybe ur tcase bc mine was doing the exact same thing and I had to replace it..the sound never stops whining even if the clutch is disengaged..i also have an evo 8 and its a common problem I also started hearing the sound when I replaced my clutch (Act street)..oh yea the sound is more like a supercharger whine..