Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

400awhp daily

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2011, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
400awhp daily

how streetable is a 400awhp car?

I have a IX MR

my goal is 450 to the wheels on a mustang dyno.

i'm having a hard time looking for information such as what the stock block can handle psi
and the do's and don'ts and short cuts and tricks and such..

im new to mitsu coming from all honda's

so far i have 3" works full tbe w/ ams test pipe & hks intake & nisei licp.

have but not installed, tial qr & hallman mbc

also have gauges, aem wideband & boost

i was looking into the buschur street core w/ upper pipe, walbro 255, (possibly larger injectors? i dont know what stocks are), fp greenhta/red/bbkfull, cams (tomei to retain mivec) and obviously a tune..

i live in CT and would have theshop *kenny* tune my car

i just want to know what's required, or whats the do's and dont's the tips of mitsu and such, i feel ike i been diiggin around the board since dec and havent really gotten much info.

most poeple are using greens getting 415ish on E85. Not available in my area though.
Old May 27, 2011, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

forgot to mention, but not related to engine, i have TEIN Super Street's with pillows.. and the car only has 14k on it.. so idk if its even save to be putting out this type of power with the engine not fully broken in?
Old May 27, 2011, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cammed IX on E85 with supporting bolt-ons and speed density at 26psi with a couple deg. of timing left up top....393whp/387wtq on Reese Mustang. Will be going back in a few weeks to add the AIT patch and 27psi should be 400whp/393wtq. I want to keep it conservative, I'm not trying to push to motor.
The current setup is a nice street car and very fun to drive. Forgot, this is on a stock bottom end, head and turbo.
Old May 27, 2011, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

450awp on MD? you looking for big turbo setup am I right? w/out e85 you ain't gonna get 450awp with a stock appearing turbo.
Old May 27, 2011, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PhrequenC
how streetable is a 400awhp car?

I have a IX MR

my goal is 450 to the wheels on a mustang dyno.

i'm having a hard time looking for information such as what the stock block can handle psi
and the do's and don'ts and short cuts and tricks and such..

im new to mitsu coming from all honda's

so far i have 3" works full tbe w/ ams test pipe & hks intake & nisei licp.

have but not installed, tial qr & hallman mbc

also have gauges, aem wideband & boost

i was looking into the buschur street core w/ upper pipe, walbro 255, (possibly larger injectors? i dont know what stocks are), fp greenhta/red/bbkfull, cams (tomei to retain mivec) and obviously a tune..

i live in CT and would have theshop *kenny* tune my car

i just want to know what's required, or whats the do's and dont's the tips of mitsu and such, i feel ike i been diiggin around the board since dec and havent really gotten much info.

most poeple are using greens getting 415ish on E85. Not available in my area though.
A 400 whp car can be very streetable depending on the turbo setup. A huge laggy turbo will make it a lot less fun on the street as you will be out of boost a lot of the time, and need to go high rpm WOT to see full boost.

The stock block is largely torque limited. The accepted wisdom is keeping the awtq below 450 at the highest. Most try and keep it below 400 or soften up the torque curve to protect the bottom end. Most of the failures I've heard of are rods going through the block, or detonation lifting the head. If you do cams you can do aftermarket studs for cheap insurance. As far as the psi the car can handle its dependent on the turbo and the fuel. If you do not have E85 in your area and will be running pure 93 octane you will be between 25-28 psi depending on the turbo.

You will want larger injectors and a Walbro 255 when you tune, and for the most part go big with injectors so you have room to grow. As far as cams, the most popular choices for cams are Kelford 272s and GSC S2s. A good cam can give you a much better top end without losing anything down low.

As for stock frame turbo choices, thats the debate of a century but the main choices are the HKS GTII, CBRD BBK, FP Green/Red/Black. It really depends on what you want out of the car. All turbos are going to be a trade off of top end power vs. response. For 450 whp on a stock block with 93 octane you are probably looking at an FP Black. You will sacrifice spool from the HKS/BBK/Green size turbos but you can hit your target number pretty easily.
Old May 27, 2011, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

i daily drive my 480/440 hks 7460r powered evo 8!...........no problems here so far(4k miles and counting).............
Old May 27, 2011, 04:48 PM
Evolving Member

@Blackened Wings: Thanks for the great response.

if spool time & fun is the factor, i would have to say, im really looking for mid-range power & more topend that pulls harder all the way through.

i know a stock ix turbo falls down up top very easily, and makes the car feel much slower. thats i've seen on most dyno's.

for injectors, what would you recomend? and any specific valves/springs?

im completely new to all the brands to mitsubishi as well. i've heard the gsc s2s and i love the lopey idle, but id loose mivec?
Old May 27, 2011, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

my last setup made 435awhp and I had minimal mods. HKS 272 cams, PT6031, intake, exhaust, and thats about it. I was at 22psi and stock ecu.
Old May 27, 2011, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if you want guaranteed 400 hp, your best bet is good cams big injectors and an e85 tune, see how you can handle the car, not to be a dick but 400+ hp can be fun or a recipe for disaster in the wrong hands, not saying you cant drive but on 385 hp, my car gets a little squirrely on a 1st and 2nd gear punch. Question is, how much you wanna spend to get to your goal?....with 4k, you can get what i was saying plus have enough for a big turbo, now if your tryin for 400-450 on a mustang dyno you want an fp red fp black or BBK-B they have the potential with the right tuner to get you to your mods, just remember with that kinda power, youll eventually need better brakes, let alone a clutch that will take it on a daily basis..haha....so if you got 5 k to play which covers ya for all your wants plus your needs i think youll be good for at least 20k before your first issue....good luck
Old May 27, 2011, 06:18 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
It's streetable, but that really depends on if you're a lead foot.

My build is shooting for 400+whp on 91 octane and it has to appear completely stock when exposed (popped hood).

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-pick-two.html

My build is based off of:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...tephra-v7.html

Old May 27, 2011, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you want 450 Mustang, then you'll be runnung relatively high boost levels. In light of the above, I would rethink the Buschur Street IC, and opt instead for the Buschur Race IC.
Old May 27, 2011, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by fugiwara
450awp on md? You looking for big turbo setup am i right? W/out e85 you ain't gonna get 450awp with a stock appearing turbo.
+1
Old May 27, 2011, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just reread your first post and caught the part about E-85 not being available in your area. If you really want 450 on straight 93, then you will have to limit your turbo choice to the FP Black, with maybe the FP Red, and the BBK-B as longshots.
Old May 27, 2011, 07:19 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PhrequenC
@Blackened Wings: Thanks for the great response.

if spool time & fun is the factor, i would have to say, im really looking for mid-range power & more topend that pulls harder all the way through.

i know a stock ix turbo falls down up top very easily, and makes the car feel much slower. thats i've seen on most dyno's.

for injectors, what would you recomend? and any specific valves/springs?

im completely new to all the brands to mitsubishi as well. i've heard the gsc s2s and i love the lopey idle, but id loose mivec?
Do yourself a favor and take the car to a good shop, tell them what you want and how much cash you have. Good luck.
Old May 27, 2011, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

my car makes about 400whp on 91 octane. its a stock motor with full bolt ons and a gt35r turbo kit.

The stock engine has almost 100,000 miles at this power lever.
i drive my car every day. most days over 100 miles a day. the car has never given me any problems

Quick Reply: 400awhp daily