Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Is this ignition installed correctly

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2011, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this ignition installed correctly

Installed the buschur cdi last night. I took it out as soon as I had put it on. Pulled nice and smooth, idled great. This what at 32 psi. Then go to sheetz and put it at 35. Go to get on it and it wouldnt pull smooth, sounded like a two step untill I let off the gas pedal. I turned it down to 30 psi and it's still doing it. The plug look fine, took them out last night. Needless to say I had a sparktech non cdi before i installed this and it ran great, thats why Im baffled about this. I should have plenty of spark with this reliable ignition. So I am picky my brain to try to think whats wrong. I want to know what you guys think. I am on the stock plugs for my 9 i cant remember if they are gapped to 18 or 22. During this install I was unsure off where the two wires from the harness got hooke. I thought the black on the negative and the red on the positive. Tell me if this is correct in the picture please
Attached Thumbnails Is this ignition installed correctly-012.jpg  
Old May 28, 2011, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 17579EVO9MR
Installed the buschur cdi last night. I took it out as soon as I had put it on. Pulled nice and smooth, idled great. This what at 32 psi. Then go to sheetz and put it at 35. Go to get on it and it wouldnt pull smooth, sounded like a two step untill I let off the gas pedal. I turned it down to 30 psi and it's still doing it. The plug look fine, took them out last night. Needless to say I had a sparktech non cdi before i installed this and it ran great, thats why Im baffled about this. I should have plenty of spark with this reliable ignition. So I am picky my brain to try to think whats wrong. I want to know what you guys think. I am on the stock plugs for my 9 i cant remember if they are gapped to 18 or 22. During this install I was unsure off where the two wires from the harness got hooke. I thought the black on the negative and the red on the positive. Tell me if this is correct in the picture please
replace the plugs and put your old ignition back on. if the problem still happens then you have another issue. if it is cleared up then its the C.O.P. check the connecters on each coil. sometimes they brake and can cause issues. if there all good then check the CDI its self. they seem to be failing often now. mine failed. and i just read 2 others on the forum who had CDI issues. i hope thats not your case though. just check it over really well. im sure the unit its self is fine. like i said could be a coil or the box.
Old May 28, 2011, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks evodan. But I already sold my old ignition earlier this week. I got this ignition on here, and the guy said it was new. Did the connecting of the wires look correct? Thanks again
Old May 28, 2011, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wires at battery are correct. Borrow another ignition from someone to see if it goes away.

One of my buddies had a problem with his Buschur CDI too. But I never ask what fixed it.
Old May 28, 2011, 03:21 PM
Evolving Member

There's a red light on on the box. Does this mean good or bad? I just don't see how it can literally be installed, fired up and running like a champ. Then to not only let ya not be able to get on it, but even when you turn it down lower than it was the
First time. Needless I'm confused, frustrated and about ready to give up on this car
Old May 28, 2011, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by 17579EVO9MR
There's a red light on on the box. Does this mean good or bad? I just don't see how it can literally be installed, fired up and running like a champ. Then to not only let ya not be able to get on it, but even when you turn it down lower than it was the
First time. Needless I'm confused, frustrated and about ready to give up on this car
Yes, the red light should be on. That means the box is functioning properly.

Pull the plugs and check the gaps on all of them. It may sound strange, but sometimes the gaps can open up a little. It has happened to me more than once. I don't know what causes it, but it can happen.
Old May 28, 2011, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MasterNater
Yes, the red light should be on. That means the box is functioning properly.

Pull the plugs and check the gaps on all of them. It may sound strange, but sometimes the gaps can open up a little. It has happened to me more than once. I don't know what causes it, but it can happen.
just because the light is on does not mean it is working properly. im not to sure what up with the CDI box's but they been dropping like flys. i run a sparktech C.O.P. its neither BR or Sparktechs fault. they did not build the box's.

to the original post. you need to find a ''test'' ignition. if your local your more then welcome to drive here and we can figure it out. ill put my stock ignition on and we can do some tests.
Old May 28, 2011, 04:24 PM
Evolving Member

I'm in pa, and don't know how comfortable I feel driving to NJ. Is it possible the plugs are too close together? Cause it just sounds like it's two stepping, like it has no chance to be right
Old May 28, 2011, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
I would install new plugs. Set the gap at .022 You may have fouled a plug. I only live twenty minutes from you if you need a box to try.
Don
Old May 28, 2011, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

I am 30 mins away from you. I am not home though on my way to Greece... but I do have a home made COP and HKS DLI II sitting at my house. I would be willing to let you use them to test though. Let me know I can get ahold of my wife....
Old May 28, 2011, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

Hey guys that would be awesome if you guys would be willing to help. I do live in new holland pa now. I moved last week. I'm pretty sure this is a faulty unit. My sparktech that I just sold this week worked great, and I thought this would be better than that but as of now it's not. So since I bought it on here and the individual says it was never ever used, what sholuld I do? Ask for my money back?
Old May 29, 2011, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Check your gap. Even if its off by a hair on one it can cause misfire issues.