Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

All 3 ACD Lights On - Unique ACD problem?!

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2011, 04:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All 3 ACD Lights On - Unique ACD problem?!

Good Morning All,

I'd like to make it known that I did search all over for ACD issues last night. I found a lot of technical information about bleeding lines and checking fluid levels by searching. Although that information is very informative, I'd like to still pose my question in a thread because I'm not sure if my scenario applies.

I am not aware of how to bleed lines or check ACD fluids. Sorry if this is yet another repetitive ACD post, I'm just concerned about my issue as it seems to be unique.

Back story:
Over the past few days I've noticed after driving my 06 Evo IX SE for about 200 feet all 3 ACD lights come on. At idle, the lights do not kick on, only Tarmac is selected (as it should be)

My scenario is probably fairly common, however I'm not super car savy in terms of bleeding lines and checking ACD fluids...so I'd like to paint the picture of what is going on to see if anyone can give me some advice regarding the issue.

I put the key in the ignition and turned it over to allow the car to have power. Once that was done, just 1 ACD light was on. I held the gas to the floor for 5 seconds and a noise started coming about (I'm assuming this is the ACD pump working?) Well after I let off the gas and waited about 10 seconds with the key still in the ignition, I engaged the gas to the floor again and held it for 5 - 10 seconds. This time no pump at all came on and ALL 3 ACD lights came on.

My brother has an 05 Evo VIII GSR. I did the same test on his car and each time I engaged the gas for 5 - 10 seconds the same noise (I'm assuming ACD pump) would come on. After each consecutive trial, just 1 ACD light would remain on.

So my question is, do you think my ACD pump is working properly since it does crank over initially? (assuming that was the noise I was hearing).

I'm really confused and am unsure of what to do next, all I can think of to do would be to take the car to the dealer to have the code read off to me. My CEL is not on, but I remember reading that there is still an error being generated because all 3 ACD lights are on.

Also - I drove to work this morning (5/31/2011 - about 13 miles from my house) and the ACD light problem did not kick in as it has over the past few days. Even more strange...

Thanks for your time, sorry for writing a book....

-Danny
Old May 31, 2011, 06:56 AM

I have the same issue with my VIII, i will drive for a block or two and boom! all three lights turn on.. =/
Old May 31, 2011, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I had a post which is pretty similar to your issue.... most likely your ACD pump is not working properly, either the pump itself or the valve system.

If you can hear the pump (just like I could), than its probaby the valve system for the pump assembly. They will have to replace the entire thing.

My issue would come and go, and finally would come everytime I drove the car, let idle, no issue.
Old May 31, 2011, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

most likely the pump, but try looking up limp mode
Old May 31, 2011, 10:39 AM
Evolving Member

Just a suggestion but check the fuse on the positve battery terminal could be blown if not then Im sure GTijoejoe is right
Old May 31, 2011, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks guys...I'll check the fuse first and if that's in check then I'll assume the pump is bad. Who did you guys have do the install of the pump? I'm sure not the stealership....is this pump a real PITA to install? Thanks again...
Old May 31, 2011, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

There was a recall on the pump relay as well. This was handled under warranty for me ('06 GSR ~30K miles) when they replaced the entire pump.

It is difficult to change the fluid unless you have the pump operating. I think the dealership puts the pump to "on" and it cycles out the fluid, but they use some sort of system to do so.
Old May 31, 2011, 02:32 PM

I have this issue as well. But it only seems to happen when it is really hot outside. I can almost call whether its going to happen or not based on how hot it is when I walk outside. It also happens sometimes when I run the A/C. I really don't know if its a coincidence with the outside temperature or not but I wasn't having this problem in the Winter. Good Luck fixing your issue.
Old May 31, 2011, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is your car really low?
do you still have your fender liners?

i had the same issue when i had a snapped ABS wire.

one of the wires caught the tire because i had no fender liners. it snapped the wire under the sheath. BAM! ACD lights come on, and ABS no longer works.

i did a resistance test on the wiring and found one wire that was infinite resistance.. pulled the sheath. soldered the wire back together.. voila. fixed.

good luck
Old May 31, 2011, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
My pump was replaced by the dealership under warrenty... $2700 ouch for Mits....
Old May 31, 2011, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

All 3 of mine came on today.

All I want to know is, how will this effect the AWD?
Will there be any noticeable difference between the unit in this state (3 lights on) and Tarmac Mode?
If it drives the same, I'm not even going to worry about it. I never use the darn thing anyway.
Old May 31, 2011, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Uneven tire wear throws off the acd lights also, it has happened to me. Just throwing it out there because i thought i had a pump issue too.
Old May 31, 2011, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Everything on my car is legit, only 25K on the odo. Tires are new, no open circuits.
All I want to know is... What affect will this have on the clutches.
Will power still be distributed 50:50 or will it let the diff run open?
The pump still works, you can hear it run when you depress the pedal with the key in the on position.

Last edited by EVO8emUp; May 31, 2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old May 31, 2011, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

Are you sure your not hearing the fuel pump? Its underneath the rear seat. Have someone hold the gas pedal down while you listen at the driver side rear seat .

Athanasios
Old May 31, 2011, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

The fuel pump doesn't turn on when you depress the gas pedal w/ the key in the "on" position (car not running). Only the ACD pump does.
This is how you bleed it.

I guess I'll flush out the old fluid w/ some new since the pump still works and see if it resolves the light issue.

I'm wondering if this is related to not cycling the ACD from time to time. I think the only time I've even touched the button is when I bought it, to see if it worked.

If this this turns into a real problem, I'm done with this car and buying a clean Evo 5.
Mitsubishis are not rock solid mechanical performers to begin with, adding all their junk electronics into the mix is a recipe for disaster.
I'm just glad I didn't buy an X and end up with a pile of s*%t motor, on top of everything else. No offense X owners.

Last edited by EVO8emUp; May 31, 2011 at 08:58 PM.

Quick Reply: All 3 ACD Lights On - Unique ACD problem?!