Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

A few strange issues after motor mount replace and stall out

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2011, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few strange issues after motor mount replace and stall out

Hello all,

I have an 03 evo with a few minor mods including v7 Tephra. This past weekend i installed front and pass side torque solution engine mounts. One of the front center member bolts were totally frozen and i was getting no where with my breaker bar or impact gun so i decided to take the car about a mile down the road to a local muffler shop to see if they could heat the bolt up for me. The car was running fine with no codes or issues as i drove to the shop. As the mechanic tried to get the car into the bay he stalled it due to the ceramic clutch. He restarted the car, got it up on the lift and we were able to get the bolt out. I than got in the car and drove slowly home. I noticed that the CEL was on at this point.

Whats strange is that i enabled the Tephra CEL flash on knock months ago but it never worked for me, even with a few ecu resets. When i got back home i pulled off the neg battery terminal, reinstalled the new lower mount, and reconnected the battery. I took it for a quick drive around my neighborhood and noticed the CEL was flashing like crazy for both small knock (1-2counts) and faster for 3+ counts. This was all while slowly driving around my block. This was the first time the CEL has flashed for knock. The CEL light than came on again and stayed on.

Ive cleared the codes a couple times but it comes right back within a couple minutes. Its showing vehicle speed sensor & barometric error codes. I figure the more solid mounts might be to blame for a bit of the random knocks, but i didnt think it would cause the other 2 codes. Im going to run to home depot in a few to buy some parts to make a boost pressure tester to make sure nothing came loose as i was moving the motor around a little bit during the install. I have Muse stainless lower & upper IC pipes.

Sorry about the novel but wanted to give as much info as i could.

Thanks,
Matt
Old Jun 3, 2011, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update:

Still having the same weird CEL's. I normally run the 96530706 rom but have tried a couple other ones as well with no difference in result. Every sensor ive gotten a code for i have checked and reinstalled with the codes coming back within 5 miles of driving.

Last night i changed the plugs as it was about time, and also realized that when i changed out the upper engine mount there was a bracket holding an a/c line. I had meant to tie it up somehow but had forgotten to do so when finishing as the new mount has no bracket holes. I think the hose bracket hitting the timing cover was enough to register some of the false knock i was having.

I was able to put almost 30miles on the car without the CEL coming back on but it did. I just pulled the code at lunch and now its for an Injector Circuit & VSS. I reset it and once again the car is running okay for now.

I noticed though that before resetting the CEL's the stationary rev limiter was no longer working and the car ran like crap. Is it possible the ecu is losing the flash or the flash itself is not right?