Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

NonACD Tcase with Wavetrac.. What fluid?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2011, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NonACD Tcase with Wavetrac.. What fluid?

Hey I swear somewhere I read that you should not use Shockproof in your tcase if you have a wavetrac because it will significantly reduce the locking ability of the LSD.

That said, what fluid do u run in your nonacd tcase?
I was thinking Redline 75-90 in the Tcase and Redline MT90 for the tranny.

The wavetrac is not sealed right? so the fluid u put in your tcase should not have antifriction modifiers correct?? and in your rebuild tranny redline mt90 is good right?

Thanks all!
Old Jun 7, 2011, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

Motul 75-140, Amsoil SVG 75-90, 75-110, 75-140, SAE 190, or SAE 250 depending on application (how you drive, purpose of car). We used the Amsoil 75W-90 when car was mostly stock, then moved up to Amsoil 75W-140 when the power levels went up, and now we will be using either the Motul 75W-140 or the Amsoil SAE 190 or 250 depending on our final power levels (Drag Racing). Wavetrac is a killer diff btw
Old Jun 7, 2011, 04:34 PM
Evolving Member

ok so Wavetrac got back to me and said dont use any redline product lol. So how bout amsoil mt90 in the transmission and then amsoil severe gear in 75-90 in the transfer case? that sound good? lol
Old Jun 7, 2011, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

Idk, I don't mess with anything but Amsoil MTG or Motul in the tranny and t-case. Some people like Redline, but I've had nothing bu success with Amsoil and Motul. They cost a bit more, but IMHO, are def worth it.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
John Shepherd told me that no 75 weight oil is good enough. Diaqueen is his recommendation. If you use straight 90 weight then it is better. Needs to be a hypoid EP gear oil. I have run amsoil 75-90 SVG but I am going to use 75-140 or sae90 from here on out. TRE also specifies GL5 minimum. Look at TRE's website and see what it says. Do not use MTG or MTL in the t-case.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

GL-4 for tranny is what Amsoil MTG is for, at least in our case. As for the t-case, we run at least a 75W-140.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Just to be clear, your tcase fluid has no contact with the front diff. the front diff gets it fluid from the transmission.

so run whatever fluid you want in your tcase.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by griceiv
Just to be clear, your tcase fluid has no contact with the front diff. the front diff gets it fluid from the transmission.

so run whatever fluid you want in your tcase.

Yeah thats what I read on Wavetracs site. So my tcase blew up last time because the fluids mixed. I know they only use O-rings to seal.. Which means what? either the builder messed up an o-ring or the installer of the tcase did. I heard thats possible to do if ur not careful..

Anyway, so if its 100% true that a normally functioning transfercase does not let the front diff come in contact with the tcase fluid, then u should be able to run any kind tcase fluid u want correct?

Any if thats true, well the tranny fluid must be thick enough to to reside in a differential where normally severe gear oil is used. Mike@AWD just told me recently about tranny oil being thin and acts like sand paper if it gets into your transfer case. He said it looks like thats why my tcase blew up last time. Anyway, all I got from Wavetrac today is "dont run any Redline product especially shockproof with the wavetrac because its too slippery and negates friction action neccessary in an LSD." but hell if the fluid in the front diff dont come in contact with the tcase fluid then hell..
Old Jun 7, 2011, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Confusing!
Old Jun 8, 2011, 05:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I run factory Diaqueen LSD fluid with my Wavetrac t-case, seems to work very well.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CBRE
I run factory Diaqueen LSD fluid with my Wavetrac t-case, seems to work very well.
Listen to Mr. Brown, it will make your car faster....seriously...
Old Jun 8, 2011, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Xearo
Yeah thats what I read on Wavetracs site. So my tcase blew up last time because the fluids mixed. I know they only use O-rings to seal.. Which means what? either the builder messed up an o-ring or the installer of the tcase did. I heard thats possible to do if ur not careful..

Anyway, so if its 100% true that a normally functioning transfercase does not let the front diff come in contact with the tcase fluid, then u should be able to run any kind tcase fluid u want correct?

Any if thats true, well the tranny fluid must be thick enough to to reside in a differential where normally severe gear oil is used. Mike@AWD just told me recently about tranny oil being thin and acts like sand paper if it gets into your transfer case. He said it looks like thats why my tcase blew up last time. Anyway, all I got from Wavetrac today is "dont run any Redline product especially shockproof with the wavetrac because its too slippery and negates friction action neccessary in an LSD." but hell if the fluid in the front diff dont come in contact with the tcase fluid then hell..

Interesting what they have to say about Redline. I have used Redline 75-90 in all my Mustang rear ends with no issues. My 9 second Mustang locked up fine having a clutch plate rear.

I'm running Redline 80-140 in my T-case and my TRE rear. Bottom line if Wavetrac says not to use it then that is what should be followed.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

hmmm ok so 500 miles from now im going to swap out the fluid so when I do that i might go with something thicker. I dunno about tranny fluid in the diff though - is that for real!?