Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best Turbo!!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2003, 01:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Turbo!!!

I have been searching and researching this. The more I look into it the further I get from making a decision. Can you guys give me your opinions and technical knowledge to help me as well as others with the same goal in mind?

I have been picking the brains of David at BR (BR475 kit) and Ryan at RnR (GT30R kit) comparing the two. But there are more out there that look promising as well.

My goal: To get the biggest baddest turbo without compromising streetability. Bearing in mind I will be using 91oct for daily driving and 100-or-105 for AutoX. Current mods listed below and will be adding FMIC, injectors, and e-manage.
(keeping stock internals, might add cams?)

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY!!!

Last edited by WILDMAN; Dec 24, 2003 at 01:34 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2003, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

I suggest you pop out your back door and go visit Turbo Engineering in Golden Colorado. I think Jim is the owner. He won Pikes Peak one year in a stealth. He'll point you in the right direction.

http://www.turboengineering.com/

Also, you might want to speak with the Mahaffes at Altered atmosphere http://www.alteredatmosphere.com/ . They've worked around DSM cars for years

And of course Works, Vishnu, Roadraciing, Brainstorm etc.... form here on the site.

Bounce around the threads. There's lots of info here.
Old Dec 24, 2003, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks man! Cause I don't trust most of these speed shops out here. I will contact them. And I have looked on my own at all the different threads, just makes the decision making process worse for me.

Originally posted by Wrench
I suggest you pop out your back door and go visit Turbo Engineering in Golden Colorado. I think Jim is the owner. He won Pikes Peak one year in a stealth. He'll point you in the right direction.

http://www.turboengineering.com/

Also, you might want to speak with the Mahaffes at Altered atmosphere http://www.alteredatmosphere.com/ . They've worked around DSM cars for years

And of course Works, Vishnu, Roadraciing, Brainstorm etc.... form here on the site.

Bounce around the threads. There's lots of info here.

Last edited by WILDMAN; Dec 24, 2003 at 01:59 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2003, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

If I were you I'd go contact BrainStorm!!
Old Dec 24, 2003, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

What our your goals? What kind of power do you want? If you are only going to use pump gas then i would suggest our 50trim or 60trim kit for the street. They operate better at on low boost/pump then the GT30R does.
Old Dec 24, 2003, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by RnR Racing
What our your goals? What kind of power do you want? If you are only going to use pump gas then i would suggest our 50trim or 60trim kit for the street. They operate better at on low boost/pump then the GT30R does.
My goal is in my post where it says, "My goal:"

If you're talking about HP... if I could have a 1000hp daily driver then right-on. But realistically I would like 500-600whp.
Old Dec 24, 2003, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

We have a turbo that works very well for both street and strip. It will take you to the level of power you need for your goal and much more. It spools up time will vary between cars and modifications but non the less we use these custom TO4E's with confidence that they are one of the very best on the market for a reasonable price
Here is a link to our thread with alot of info

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=52337
Old Dec 24, 2003, 05:12 PM
AMS
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by perfworks
We have a turbo that works very well for both street and strip. It will take you to the level of power you need for your goal and much more. It spools up time will vary between cars and modifications but non the less we use these custom TO4E's with confidence that they are one of the very best on the market for a reasonable price
Here is a link to our thread with alot of info

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=52337
Are you using a on-center T4 turbine housing?
Old Dec 24, 2003, 05:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by AMS

Are you using a on-center T4 turbine housing?
Yes Martin we are.
It works well for our type of manifold design. The tangical is in theory better for spoolup but we havent seen any noticable differences thru the years.
Plus the 4 bolt discharge is what we were mainly concerned with.
Old Dec 24, 2003, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

im putting new pistons, rods and head on mine ; see what happens i have buschur stage 4 rite now. that in the next few weeks. with a new turbo and manifold throttle body.
Old Dec 24, 2003, 09:09 PM
Evolving Member

man u have so many different options out there. If your running autocross, then u would probably be leaning towards a ball bearing setup for the spool advantage. And it all depends on whose product u like more. Like Ryan said, u could tear up the streets in a 50 or 60 trim with standard thrust bearings, they are huge and could get u into the 10's, yet its still streetable, but you say you want the biggest baddest mother out there, so sounds to me you want a dual ball bearing setup. just look at all the vendors kits. they are all pretty comparable. one might have a slight advantage here, another might have a slightly better warantee there. I like the look of that Greddy kit myself with the mitsu hybrid turbo that someone posted up pics of. but then again that wasn't ball bearing if i recall. So on the other hand you got HKS with a nice kit, and all the EVO vendors on here who are offering kits. just find the one that stands out in your eyes. all of them have a huge potential and would make your car a monster. best of luck to u man!!!
Old Dec 24, 2003, 09:24 PM
Evolving Member

Auto-x, stock turbo....and feel lucky you have a turbo car that can make 300+ whp and auto-x......Not that your cars made for it.
Old Dec 25, 2003, 12:37 AM
Evolving Member

I dont know about you but honestly I wont buy the HKS turbo... I mean ya they make good stuff but DAAAMMMNNN look at the price tag... honestly I think I will go with GT30 or 35R good stuff and a little easier on the pocket book...

-non