Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Qartermaster Twin VS Exedy Tripple

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2011, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
there were no changes in friction material from old to new. so who ever is posting the new version will last longer doesnt know what they are talking about
The material didn't change, the design did. The old style could be tweaked to hold another 5-10k miles on a lathe, the new style they redesigned so it incorporated the changes this user found to resolve that issue. There has been a report of 1-2 of the new style swapped quickly to extreme abuse but so far I've checked with many vendors. These clutches hold longer, better, and are more forgiving. Looks like QM fixed their issues from everything I've seen and read....

My personal .02. I have a Exedy triple cerametallic -

Pros -
holds power great...sometimes
Very forgiving at times
Very streetable
Very slipable

Cons -
downshifting without revving will make you feel like the car is falling apart
Loud (a con to many, not to me)
Mine wore out FAST

I have less than a year on mine and anywhere from 450-550 torque and it's slipping now at about 10-12k miles. It held 670hp and 500+ torque great, now...it's all over the place. It's pissing me off. A rebuild is about 1200 if you replace the disks, flywheel surfacing, and intermediate plates. If you don't replace everything you're really going out on a limb. I talked to Exedy and the ONLY serviceable part is the flywheel, they recommend everything be replaced that's a wear part...that's 3 disks, two intermediate plates, and a pressure plate...U G H.

Anyway, I'm not taking a chance, I'm going to swap in a QM and find out what's the problem with my triple and go from there.