Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Qartermaster Twin VS Exedy Tripple

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Qartermaster Twin VS Exedy Tripple

Well 6 months ago I installed my new motor with my quartermaster twin, while it is a great clutch I have come to the realization that doing a clutch job every 6 months is not something I want to do.

If you have had one of these clutches please post pros and cons.

Pros:
19 lb clutch and flyweel
9K RPM shifts no prob
really rev happy and easy to control at the track.

Cons:
For me 5k life expectancy.
LOUD AS F#$!@ with solid rear diff mounts, had to remove and go to poly.
really hard to smoothly take off from a stop.

While I realize that this clutch is advertised as a race only clutch I felt like I could handle it but I was thinking that since I am pretty good at driving a stick that it would last me more than 5K.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 02:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 332 Likes on 132 Posts
have you looked into carbon clutches yet?
maybe worth a shot, the life on these items may be significantly higher than you expect
Old Jun 13, 2011, 06:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Did you buy the old style Quartermaster or the new 8 leg race version?

-Josh
Old Jun 13, 2011, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
quarter master friction material is a rally material. not designed to be slipped. slipping such material wears it out very quickly. I have seen many other in my area wear these out in less than 5k miles. many far less.

exedy friction material is far, far smoother when slipped. it is designed for street use. and lasts many times longer for street use. it is a dream to drive the exedy triple compared to QM. unfortunately it is just as noisy if not noisier. there are six loose plates to rattle, plus all three discs can rattle on common center hub. the QM only has four plates to rattle.

exedy twin HD is much quieter than the above clutches. great clutch for the money. as long as you dont excede ~525TQ it works very well and is very streetable.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DKC6691
Well 6 months ago I installed my new motor with my quartermaster twin, while it is a great clutch I have come to the realization that doing a clutch job every 6 months is not something I want to do.

If you have had one of these clutches please post pros and cons.

Pros:
19 lb clutch and flyweel
9K RPM shifts no prob
really rev happy and easy to control at the track.

Cons:
For me 5k life expectancy.
LOUD AS F#$!@ with solid rear diff mounts, had to remove and go to poly.
really hard to smoothly take off from a stop.

While I realize that this clutch is advertised as a race only clutch I felt like I could handle it but I was thinking that since I am pretty good at driving a stick that it would last me more than 5K.
I heard the new 8 leg one is really good for how long it lasts.

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
quarter master friction material is a rally material. not designed to be slipped. slipping such material wears it out very quickly. I have seen many other in my area wear these out in less than 5k miles. many far less.

exedy friction material is far, far smoother when slipped. it is designed for street use. and lasts many times longer for street use. it is a dream to drive the exedy triple compared to QM. unfortunately it is just as noisy if not noisier. there are six loose plates to rattle, plus all three discs can rattle on common center hub. the QM only has four plates to rattle.

exedy twin HD is much quieter than the above clutches. great clutch for the money. as long as you dont excede ~525TQ it works very well and is very streetable.
Isnt the exedy twin sooo much more expensive then the QM?
Old Jun 14, 2011, 07:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Go_Lancer_Go
I heard the new 8 leg one is really good for how long it lasts.

Isnt the exedy twin sooo much more expensive then the QM?
The Exedy HD Twin is actually a little cheaper. At least it is through us.

-Josh
Old Jun 14, 2011, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TopSpeed

-Josh
Yea the new version is supposed to last longer
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:51 AM

I have just installed a Powertrain Technologies 7.25 Twin Plate Clutch in my Evo n i can tell you this the clutch is awesome, it feels like it needs more power, gear shifts are great feel more persist n grips like nothing i have felt before. Only things is i have to move the car around 1200-1500 rpms to not get any jerk or clutch chatter.

I would not be going any other clutch after this, i'm just waiting to see how long it will last but the performance is great.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:20 AM

-Josh
Old stile QM, but as far as the new style goes from having experienced a friends New sty QM much smoother but as far as longevity his wore out in 2 thousand miles ouch.

I just finished installing new disks in my current set up and will be driving it again to see how long it lasts this time, I don't plan on doing any launches and will see how long the clutch lasts this time.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 04:40 AM

I've been using mine for almost 6 months now ...
I don't launch my car & its daily driven ...
So far so good ...

Old Jun 15, 2011, 04:44 AM
Evolved Member

I have an Exedy Triple and cant complain. I daily, I street race, and I track it. The chatter noise dont bother me at all. You can try an OS Giken too. Ivey loves that clutch.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 05:22 AM
Evolved Member

With the old style QM I think if you launch it at every light it will last longer. What tq are you making? They were suppose to come out with a new style QM street version not sure if it was ever released I know they have the race version.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by DKC6691
Old stile QM, but as far as the new style goes from having experienced a friends New sty QM much smoother but as far as longevity his wore out in 2 thousand miles ouch.

I just finished installing new disks in my current set up and will be driving it again to see how long it lasts this time, I don't plan on doing any launches and will see how long the clutch lasts this time.
there were no changes in friction material from old to new. so who ever is posting the new version will last longer doesnt know what they are talking about
Old Jun 15, 2011, 02:33 PM

With the old style QM I think if you launch it at every light it will last longer. What tq are you making? They were suppose to come out with a new style QM street version not sure if it was ever released I know they have the race version.
im making 630 hp and 500 ft lb, and with regards to launching you have to slip the clutch unless you want the transmission or transfer case to be become non functional.
I am just going to drive it without launching it and only beat on it on road courses.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 05:36 AM
Evolving Member

Crazy I got 17k out of mine and around 30 launches I wasnt nice to it at all, I think Iam going to try the comp twin next

Quick Reply: Qartermaster Twin VS Exedy Tripple