Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

please help me find mysterious oil leak

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
please help me find mysterious oil leak

Ok went to change my oil the other day and dropped the skid plate to find it covered in oil. I figured it was the oil return, and the copper crush washers on the oil in line. I waited to change the oil until I picked both up. I swapped them changed the oil wiped everything down that had oil and went out for a drive last night thinking all was great. Checked today to make sure it was not leaking. It was. Dropped the skid plate and it has a decent amount on it. Its coming from somewhere on the passenger side. Nothing is wet with oil except the bottom of the oil pan itself. I haven't bottomed the car out, or hit anything. Everything from the oil pan up is dry?

Forgot to mention the reason I figured it was the oil in and return is because 4 months or so ago I pulled the turbo to swap a cracked manifold and didn't replace the gasket or washers. Now that they are replaced they don't show signs of leakage the line is dry, and the return is as well.

Last edited by awdordie; Jun 16, 2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ummm...oil pan gasket??
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Its dry on all the sides of the oil pan as well which is what is confusing the hell out of me. Oil can't fall down then up that's against the laws of physics
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Could it possibly be residual oil coming out from the plate on the bottom of the pan? I wouldn't think that much could be trapped under it but im out of ideas here.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had the same problem with my 8, take off the timing belt cover and check if there is oil. It can be a few things back there leaking. Mine was the castle plug for the oil pump.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

If ur under the car facing up looking at your oil filter and axle right above is the dipstick. That part is pretty dirty but doesn't seem to have fresh wet oil.

Degin, would that be the top cam gear cover or bottom one and where would the castle plug be at
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by awdordie
If ur under the car facing up looking at your oil filter and axle right above is the dipstick. That part is pretty dirty but doesn't seem to have fresh wet oil.

Degin, would that be the top cam gear cover or bottom one and where would the castle plug be at
It is above the oil pump gear behind the timing cover

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...name-part.html
Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

This is right on the block below the dip stick there's a small lip of the block sticking out from the oil pan on that side. Its really dirty but like I said no fresh oil. I started the car and let it idle for about 5 minutes to see if I could replicate the conditions with no luck, however when I climbed back under the car a second ago fresh oil seems to be weeping out of that plate on the oil pan.

Im thinking its from where the crush washers and oil return were taken off the last time and oil got trapped in between that plate because when I removed the oil return I didn't expect much to come out but it did, and I reused the gasket like a dumbass.

I stuck the edge of a paper towel in the seam and got quite a bit of fresh oil so im thinking once the oil pan gets warm and the viscosity of the oil goes down some its seeping out. I have heard of evos up north having a problem with getting leaks under this plate from the salt being trapped in there. My car however has never been out of tennessee.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Spray engine degreaser around the edges of that plate.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Under the car doing that now im going to clean it out really good and if it starts to apear again then there must be a hole in the pan behind that plate.

I really don't think its coming from behind the timing belt cover as the block and everything around that is either clean or has dry caked dirt and grease. Everything im seeing is leading me to believe its just residual oil behind that plate since its only wet there.
Old May 6, 2013, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

was this issue ever figured out? i have a large amount of oil leaking from my passenger side. it just happened saturday night.look like oil lleaked on to the axel and the axel splashed it everywhere but i cant seem to find where it is coming from!