Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

BREAK IN: Synthetic vs. Dino

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2003, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: BREAK IN: Synthetic vs. Dino

You could break it in with the mineral oil, I never thought of it. However, with the advanced technology they use for machining these engines it's not really necessary. If you do anyway I would definitely go back to the Mobil 1 instead of conventional. Remember, it is a turbo car and that turbo gets damn hot. In which case it would benefit from the synthetic oil. And Mobil 1 is one of the best.

my .02

Originally posted by bluevilevo8
Note: I know this has been beaten to death, but I have read every related post on this site, and am still unsure of what to do.

I will be taking delivery of my evo FEB 1st, and was planning on swapping out the synthetic for conventional oil as it seems evos broken in on synthetic appear to be consuming more oil. The only thing keeping me from doing so is the possibility of a voided warranty. If you were to run dino for the first 1000 miles, then switch to synthetic, would the dealer be able to tell? Also, what conventional oil do you use/recommend on the evo?
Old Dec 27, 2003, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by DynoKing
I changed from synth to dyno the 1st day, did a track event with dyno and my dyno is about 20 HP higher then most. Lowest green is a different 100% stock evo just like mine.
Unless all the dyno runs were done on the same day under exact same conditions, comparing two dyno graphs is completely useless other than the shape.

You may have had a strong engine from the factory.

Seriously, who thinks that their Evo is weak in power, I think this is the all around most complete car I have ever owned including two Porsches, two M3s and a 300ZX.

I will stick with what the factory engineers recommend. (Well, also what BMW, Mercedes and Porsche recommends).