Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

BREAK IN: Synthetic vs. Dino

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2003, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BREAK IN: Synthetic vs. Dino

Note: I know this has been beaten to death, but I have read every related post on this site, and am still unsure of what to do.

I will be taking delivery of my evo FEB 1st, and was planning on swapping out the synthetic for conventional oil as it seems evos broken in on synthetic appear to be consuming more oil. The only thing keeping me from doing so is the possibility of a voided warranty. If you were to run dino for the first 1000 miles, then switch to synthetic, would the dealer be able to tell? Also, what conventional oil do you use/recommend on the evo?
Old Dec 26, 2003, 06:23 PM
In Timeout

Re: BREAK IN: Synthetic vs. Dino

Do what you want to do, it's your car.

Originally posted by bluevilevo8
Note: I know this has been beaten to death, but I have read every related post on this site, and am still unsure of what to do.

I will be taking delivery of my evo FEB 1st, and was planning on swapping out the synthetic for conventional oil as it seems evos broken in on synthetic appear to be consuming more oil. The only thing keeping me from doing so is the possibility of a voided warranty. If you were to run dino for the first 1000 miles, then switch to synthetic, would the dealer be able to tell? Also, what conventional oil do you use/recommend on the evo?
Old Dec 26, 2003, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

I always heard once you have synthetic never go back, and I also heard that dino is the best for breakin because synthetic is to slick. As for the dealer knowing you didn't use sythetic for 1000 miles, theres no way for them to tell. And if they don't change your oil for free for you, you can use whatever you choose (theres a law about that).
Old Dec 26, 2003, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

If I could do it all over again I would break in on dino oil for sure. I doubt it would hurt the motor to break in on dino, just remember to stay off boost for a while before shutting the car off. btw the dealer can tell dino from synthetic if they have good techs and are looking for it. Just do oil changes yourself, it's not hard to do at all and you save some cash.

Last edited by evil8; Dec 26, 2003 at 07:49 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2003, 07:41 PM

Every new BMW comes from the factory with synthetic, so does every Mercedes. This includes the M3 and the AMG versions of Mercedes cars.

Corvettes are shipped with synthetic as well.

Every rebuilt race car engine I have seen also have broken in using synthetic as far BMW race cars are concerned.

Based on this, I decided to stay with the factory recommendations for
break-in and oil changes.

The car to car variations of dyno numbers are just that. At one day we tested about 10 M3s on a dyno all of the same type (E36 3.2L) and the results vary between 220 rwhp to 200 rwhp.

And if something happens to your engine or your turbo while running conventional oil, it only takes 20 dollars and 1 day to send oil for testing. And guess what happens to your warranty when they find out.

Last edited by m3jstock; Dec 26, 2003 at 07:48 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2003, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by m3jstock
Every new BMW comes from the factory with synthetic, so does every Mercedes. This includes the M3 and the AMG versions of Mercedes cars.

Corvettes are shipped with synthetic as well.

Every rebuilt race car engine I have seen also have broken in using synthetic as far BMW race cars are concerned.

Based on this, I decided to stay with the factory recommendations for
break-in and oil changes.

The car to car variations of dyno numbers are just that. At one day we tested about 10 M3s on a dyno all of the same type (E36 3.2L) and the results vary between 220 rwhp to 200 rwhp.

And if something happens to your engine or your turbo while running conventional oil, it only takes 20 dollars and 1 day to send oil for testing. And guess what happens to your warranty when they find out.

I think anyone else selling the break-in using conventional oil is really selling "snake oil" IMHO.
OK how would you explain all the Evos broken in with synthetic that have gas in their oil while Evos broken in on dino don't have this problem? The conclusion I draw is more blowby broken in with synthetic.
Old Dec 26, 2003, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by evil8

OK how would you explain all the Evos broken in with synthetic that have gas in their oil while Evos broken in on dino don't have this problem? The conclusion I draw is more blowby broken in with synthetic.
My car has no smell of gas in the oil
so far, neither does my race car.
I think having some fuel residue in the oil
is normal for forced induction engines
especially ones that run real rich under full boost like the EVO.

Your best bet is to get your oil analyzed, that will tell you the "real story" In fact, we should see oil analysis results from both cars broken in on synthetic and conventional oil and that will tell the actual results.

Now, I did take care to drive the engine under load as soon as the 600 miles were gone which meants lots of back roads driving :-)

Without full oil testing, I don't think I will have the confidence to outguess Mitsubishi engineers being an engineer myself.
Old Dec 26, 2003, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I have gas in my oil, the smell is rather strong, which concerns me. I broke the car in with synthetic, very easy for 650 miles, in which I tore it up after. How do you go about getting your oil analyzed and what can they tell from it?
Old Dec 26, 2003, 08:55 PM

There are several vendors that sell oil analysis kits.

For my turbo diesel truck, the recommended vendor was:

http://store.avlube.com/oilanalysiskit.html

http://store.avlube.com/feroilankit.html

The duramax owners seem to like the vendor.

Another one that may help is

www.kennedydiesel.com.

Originally posted by Thoe99
I have gas in my oil, the smell is rather strong, which concerns me. I broke the car in with synthetic, very easy for 650 miles, in which I tore it up after. How do you go about getting your oil analyzed and what can they tell from it?
Old Dec 26, 2003, 09:13 PM
Evolving Member

If I had it to do over I would break it in with dino. It can only help. If your breaking it in like your supposed to and taking it easy dino is not going to hurt your turbo. I think you will definately get better results breaking in with dino for about first 1000 miles. My car eats some oil. This is the first vehicle of any kind that I did not break in with dino and the first one that eats oil. I'm sure you've already read everyones opinion so just do what you think is best based on what you've read.
Old Dec 26, 2003, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

i donno.....brett from vishnu told me to put in dino from day one, i did, so be it. i don't nearly as much power loss after 5k as some evo's do. do wut u want tho.
Old Dec 27, 2003, 07:40 AM

Originally posted by mojo
If I had it to do over I would break it in with dino. It can only help. If your breaking it in like your supposed to and taking it easy dino is not going to hurt your turbo. I think you will definately get better results breaking in with dino for about first 1000 miles. My car eats some oil. This is the first vehicle of any kind that I did not break in with dino and the first one that eats oil. I'm sure you've already read everyones opinion so just do what you think is best based on what you've read.
Both my Mercedes and E36 m3 were broken in using synthetic and neither use any amount of oil. If you track the car or are doing high-g, full throttle runs through canyons, you may be seeing some oil loss due to blow-by.

My co-workers C4S has used about 1 qt of oil every 1K miles until the car
was about 10K miles then stopped. This car also came from the factory with synthetic.
Old Dec 27, 2003, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by m3jstock

Personally, if it's broken in on a dyno, synthetic is probably just dandy as the engine sees progressively higher and higher loads.

If it's broken in on the street, there is insufficient load most of the time, eg freeway driving, so I would go for dinooil after all I have read.
Old Dec 27, 2003, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

<---broke in with what was in the car, but did the first oil change around 1.5k miles.
Seems like whatever the factory puts in the car, will be what is best for it, but I dont know that for sure....im just trusting the little guys in Japan who happen to build this motor and also have been building these for a while now.....I could be wrong either way so dont base my opinion on anything.
Old Dec 27, 2003, 08:14 AM
In Timeout

I changed from synth to dyno the 1st day, did a track event with dyno and my dyno is about 20 HP higher then most. Lowest green is a different 100% stock evo just like mine.
Attached Thumbnails BREAK IN: Synthetic vs. Dino-dynostock-11-15-02-009.jpg  

Quick Reply: BREAK IN: Synthetic vs. Dino