Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

low rpm rattle after cam install

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2011, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
low rpm rattle after cam install

Ok guys, I just rolled my 60k service and cam/spring swap all in one. When we first started the car, it idled very nicely @ ~1200rpm with no tapping whatsoever. But after a couple minutes as the car warmed up, and the rpm dropped to < 900rpm, there was an intermittent rattle in the top-end. Sub 900 rpm, it would rattle for a second or two, then quit completely, then rattle, then quit, and so on. If I keep the rpm above 900, no rattle or weirdness whatsoever. So the only time I get the rattle is when the RPM is below 900. I use the term rattle instead of tapping, because to me, it sounds more like a rattle (think of a chain rattling). We looked all over the place for a loose bracket, or whatever, but nothing. Its definitely coming from the top end, and based on the frequency, has to be coming from more than 1 valve. Im going to pop the valve cover off to have a look at things, but I thought I would throw this out there to see if anyone had anything like this before. I drove around for 5 miles to see if it got any better but it didnt. I dont really feel comfortable driving any more until I have a better understanding of what is going on. Even though there is no rattle above 900 rpm, if the lifters are too weak, i dont want them to crap on my new cams. -Thanks!
Old Jul 6, 2011, 09:11 PM

Well, in case anyone else runs into this, I found that the "rattle" is the PCV valve.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 06:41 PM

PCV valve

What was wrong with the PCV valve?