Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

How long are the fp blacks lasting??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2011, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes $5-6k into a turbo plus lots of downtime sounds like win to me !!!
Old Jul 3, 2011, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well sideways, being that you want to reply with smart remarks lets analyze the situation. He said $2250 on a turbo which mean's he's likely buying it new and will have a back up turbo. No down-time. It's not going to cost him $6k total for repairs + turbo that was bought 2 years prior. If you can't save up $2500 in 2 years then you should not own an evo because you are financially irresponsible.

Other than that the Black is a wonderful turbo. When I have to send my turbo in, I'll slap my stocker on for 3-5 weeks and wait for my new black to return; or just drive me other car. Being that he might not have another car his option is to slap the stocker back on.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

If your gonna run the Black i highly recommend the stock pcv system being enlarged...$.02
Old Jul 3, 2011, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My decision making is now revolving around my motor I think. It seems to be a lot of money to throw into a new setup on a stock block. If I had a built motor, I would be more for spending the extra cash to make better power. In all reality, if I wanted to push it, my hta green can max out my stock internals. I was looking for a turbo to have an amazing top end pull. Although the green pulls hard, it still feels a little flat up top. It could be the tune though. I bought the car tuned the way it is, I need to take it to Devin Schultz and have him throw his magic on there and the car could be completely different.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
lol some peoples fiqures are horribly wrong lets add them up shall we

fp black $1999.99
evo 8 to 9 intall kit gen 2 $349
kiggly hla $170
buschur baffled oil pan $389(new) or send in yours and its $150

total = 2907.99 or 2668.99(used oil pan)

if you want later owens development bb upgrade 800

3707.99or 3468.99 (used oil pan)

Now i will admit and can see since looking it up that FP prices have went way up in the pass year on some of the products but guess what when your product is a hot item prices tend to go up. It is up to you as the user to either get it when it first hit the market or conserve some cost by buying used turbo(personally i would never do that but still) and get the install kit new or if you have a evo 9 already you will not incurr that cost as well. THE THING EVERYBODY NEEDS TO REALIZE IS IT COST MONEY TO MOD YOUR EVO ITS NOT A CHEAP HOBBY BY ANY MEANS. IF YOU CANT KEEP UP WITH THE JONESES THEN MAYBE YOU SHOULD NOT BE TRYING TO. Be happy you got a evo and if you have the extra cash to do some mods then so be it but complaining crying about this is to expensive that is to much is the reason you should never think about modding the evo in the first place just enjoy it at stock levels with a tune and move on. If you want to mod it then realize several new cost might be coming your way and just sallow it down and part ways with the funds.

Last edited by RockmanX; Jul 3, 2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

Pay2play....^^^^Amen bro!
Old Jul 3, 2011, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

^^ 2nd rockman.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tsidrift1
My decision making is now revolving around my motor I think. It seems to be a lot of money to throw into a new setup on a stock block. If I had a built motor, I would be more for spending the extra cash to make better power. In all reality, if I wanted to push it, my hta green can max out my stock internals. I was looking for a turbo to have an amazing top end pull. Although the green pulls hard, it still feels a little flat up top. It could be the tune though. I bought the car tuned the way it is, I need to take it to Devin Schultz and have him throw his magic on there and the car could be completely different.
I think you'll be happier in the end putting that money towards other parts on the car instead of upgrading your turbo. You already have a nice turbo and unless you are going to boost 40psi on the black you're not going to see huge gains.

How about an external dump, but specifically modified with a bubb-rubb whistle tip? JK. Seriously though, maybe crush your 9 bov or upgrade that and go for a retune? Your car should not feel flat up top.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

I have already stated I understand the pay to play. For me, I have decided its not the time to pay the cost of the black and additional mods needed for my goals with a stock block. Its just not worth the money to get it, and get maybe an extra 50hp up top. I will stick with the green and play around with it some more.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When does it become not worth it to run a black vs a t3 setup with a PTE BB?
If you take Rock's above figures and add a decent tubular manifold to it you are right in T3 territory right?

And compared to a Black you can get a HTA86 or 6262 to spool a little slower but hold more uptop.

And this is before spending the money to send the Black to Owens development for the BB upgrade.

I'm not saying one option is better then other but I'm just asking the question
Old Jul 3, 2011, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boltz.
I think you'll be happier in the end putting that money towards other parts on the car instead of upgrading your turbo. You already have a nice turbo and unless you are going to boost 40psi on the black you're not going to see huge gains.

How about an external dump, but specifically modified with a bubb-rubb whistle tip? JK. Seriously though, maybe crush your 9 bov or upgrade that and go for a retune? Your car should not feel flat up top.

Bubb-rubb, go whooo whoooo!!! lol

Yea, Thats what I have decided. I am gonna have Devin retune the car, maybe even on pumpgas. I am debating on going to speed density as well. I am gonna get a tial q if I go sd too. Like I said before, the car was tuned when i bought it. I havnt touched anything with the tune. It could be a conservative tune at that. Who knows??

I really dont know what else I could do with the car mod wise. I got pretty much the other mods to let a green breathe freely lol.

It might just be that I have gotten used to the car and it just feels flat up top now. lol
Old Jul 3, 2011, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boostfiend
Well sideways, being that you want to reply with smart remarks lets analyze the situation. He said $2250 on a turbo which mean's he's likely buying it new and will have a back up turbo. No down-time. It's not going to cost him $6k total for repairs + turbo that was bought 2 years prior. If you can't save up $2500 in 2 years then you should not own an evo because you are financially irresponsible.

Other than that the Black is a wonderful turbo. When I have to send my turbo in, I'll slap my stocker on for 3-5 weeks and wait for my new black to return; or just drive me other car. Being that he might not have another car his option is to slap the stocker back on.
First off Thanks for suggesting my reply was smart i agree.

Your right its closer to $5k if he were to do as suggested , You guys have only added up the cost of parts ...
Labor isnt free, even my own , If it costs me time thats races i cannot participate in and hours i cannot work , weeks on end i cannot drive my car , and if its bearing failure its extra shards of metal i really dont want in the rest engine .

You also havent figured in all the gaskets, nuts and bolts that ought to be replaced every turbo swap IF you want noexhaust leaks and worry free track time .

Last time i heard it was longer then 3 weeks turn around on owens BB upgrade and more then $800 as posted above, Perhaps the prices have dropped , and shipping is cheaper then I've heard.

Im a fan of the blacks power and response i really hope the reliability comes around especially since the cost of these is over that of superior BB turbos (BW) .

EDIT: OP your HTA is an awesome turbo especially on a street driven machine , and maybe the failures are less talked about but they seem to be more reliable then the Larger offerings from FP , im glad you are keeping it around !

Last edited by getsideways; Jul 3, 2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
When does it become not worth it to run a black vs a t3 setup with a PTE BB?
If you take Rock's above figures and add a decent tubular manifold to it you are right in T3 territory right?

And compared to a Black you can get a HTA86 or 6262 to spool a little slower but hold more uptop.

And this is before spending the money to send the Black to Owens development for the BB upgrade.

I'm not saying one option is better then other but I'm just asking the question
Man, everytime I am replying, someone else comments lol.

I have thought of a t3 setup. I really do like the stock frame turbos though. Looks nice under the hood.

As for the price of the black compared to a t3 setup. I could def resource a t3 setup ready to bolt on to close the price of the black alone if I keep my eyes open and source out quality parts.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tsidrift1
I have already stated I understand the pay to play. For me, I have decided its not the time to pay the cost of the black and additional mods needed for my goals with a stock block. Its just not worth the money to get it, and get maybe an extra 50hp up top. I will stick with the green and play around with it some more.
50 if you're lucky.

What are your goals with your car? I do well with mod consultation. PM me if you want some guidance.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Boltz maybe i should start PMing you everytime i get the itch to spend money on my car . You might save me a lot of money every year

Quick Reply: How long are the fp blacks lasting??