Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

How long are the fp blacks lasting??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2011, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well.....after staying up till almost 2 am this morning, I am still undecided again. So I have been reading around about the baffled pan and the kiggly hla. It seems to be a good idea to run on any stock frame turbo producing a good amount of tq. So, now it has me thinking of getting both even for the green lol.

My advantage for the black is, I will keep tq lower down low, than what the green will produce. Thats if I want more power, which I do. If I could get high 400whp with the green, yet keep my tq down low,(high 300's or low 400's) I would be ok with that. Looking at dyno results, it seems the tq of the green trails the whp on its *** with this turbo. Which would be great, if I had a built block to handle the high tq numbers.

Here is my other advantage. With the black, I can make the same, hopefully more, power than I have with the green, on pumpgas. I love e85 for what its worth, but to take the car on roadtrips is truly a pita. Im not talking about 4-5hr trips either. Im referring to a 45 min to the next town. I have driven the car to Champaign once, which is about 1hr 10min away. I drove over there, ran to the mall, got something to eat, etc. Just spent the day over there with the g/f. I had to fill up before I left. On top of having to fill up, I had to google where an e85 station was lol.

So, at first my decision on keeping the green was due to not having to purchase the pan or the hla. As of now, it seems they are a good investment for any setup. So now I am back at it with getting a black.

For those who have asked about my goals. I have gotten the bug of drag racing lately. Even though its only the 1/8 mile right now, I feel like I am getting addicted lol. I have auto-xed my old evo, it was a blast as well. My goals are for a car that can compete well in any form of racing(if thats possible) I will do more drag though. I dont mind a little lag, as I had a 1g with a fp3065 on it. I didnt mind the lag so much. I enjoyed the top end pull from the car, which made up for the lag by far.

Looking at the dyno graphs from the blacks, the power is held up top easily. While the tq is kept flat to cushion the stock block. If I blow a rod, I will get a new motor. There just so many guys running crazy power on stock lock, theres no reason to not try, right?? lol Plus if I throw a rod through the block, at least I wont have to upgrade my turbo if I go with a built block, the black will be there to put down some serious power.

In the end, I am gonna call the guy dialing in all this for me, Devin Schultz. Im gonna see what he suggests. He has already told me a black would be a great choice, but I am gonna give him a call and discuss it with him.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 08:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Black is the best stock frame turbo for the stock block due to keeping the tq lower. I wouldn't be scared of a 550whp Black stock motor car if the tq was below 425.

Let me know if you decide on the Black. The Black is my favorite turbo I have ever used.

Mikey
Old Jul 4, 2011, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you cant beat built motor fp black lol just do it
Old Jul 4, 2011, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Or keep the green and do an E85 or Meth tune , if you're just looking for more power. I agree about the black being a good Turbo, or at least thats what i've read.....I'm a 6262 fan myself (or the FP HTA86) but that’s a different "league" (although that may not be the correct word) of Turbo.

And this talk about the turbo only lasting 2 years….that’s just a number thrown out by FP. As was stated, it going to be on the conservative side….hell I’ve ran a STOCK evo 9 turbo for 2+ years at 25+ PSI….it lasted, so I can’t see why a well maintained Black wouldn’t.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

I have the green now on e85, but with the tq the green brings with more power, I might throw a rod.

Unfortunately, I dont have the cash right now for a built block and the black. I think with the combination of wanting to go back to pumpgas, and save my stock block, the black might be the better choice. The green is a hell of a turbo, if you can be happy with a certain power level. I am content for awhile, but then want more. At least if i want more with the blac, I can get a built block and get way more! lol
Old Jul 5, 2011, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

That's an awful lot of cash to be spending on a car that you don't even race that often. What exactly is the point of upgrading to the Black? To say you make X amount of HP??? There's always gonna be someone faster. Not to mention the grass is always greener on the other site. Just because the car is faster, does not mean it will be more enjoyable.

Everyone on this site is gonna be like "YEAH DO IT MAN!!!" but did you ever stop to think that if you're having doubts that MAYBE your gut is trying to tell you something? You're gonna put yourself in a huge hole because of all the "hidden" costs to running the FP Black and for what? You already have a beast of a car. Just enjoy what you have.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GinNBoost
That's an awful lot of cash to be spending on a car that you don't even race that often. What exactly is the point of upgrading to the Black? To say you make X amount of HP??? There's always gonna be someone faster. Not to mention the grass is always greener on the other site. Just because the car is faster, does not mean it will be more enjoyable.

Everyone on this site is gonna be like "YEAH DO IT MAN!!!" but did you ever stop to think that if you're having doubts that MAYBE your gut is trying to tell you something? You're gonna put yourself in a huge hole because of all the "hidden" costs to running the FP Black and for what? You already have a beast of a car. Just enjoy what you have.
It is a lot of money, which primarily gets me contemplating my decision. The thing is, I want to feel more top end power. Maybe the car just needs a better tune. But the thing is, if I want a little more power out of the green, the tq is gonna come with it. Being on stock block, I would like to save it as long as possible. So with the black, I can make more power, while retaining the tq down and be on pumpgas. Less hassle than dealing with e85 for trips.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GinNBoost

We are talking about modifying an EVO, this isn't exactly a cheap hobby. And people don't usually run FP blacks to wave dyno sheets in peoples faces. Its about great power while keeping a relatively street friendly spool range. And I dont get how a faster car wouldnt equate to more fun and a happier driver. But then again what do I know. I only love my fully built FP black car.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by tsidrift1
My advantage for the black is, I will keep tq lower down low, than what the green will produce.
Torque is a function of boost. If you want less torque, run less boost. Simple as that. That's the beauty of electronic boost control. You can run lower boost in the midrange to keep torque down and increase it up top.

I saw Mikey mention of bearing systems, so here's a link to a good article on turbo bearing systems:

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_artic...-bearings.aspx
Old Jul 5, 2011, 01:26 PM
Former Sponsor

^ you correct about boost having a lot to do with tq but a lot of times people forget that timing has a lot to do with tq also

Mikey
Old Jul 5, 2011, 02:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by spdracerut
Torque is a function of boost. If you want less torque, run less boost. Simple as that. That's the beauty of electronic boost control. You can run lower boost in the midrange to keep torque down and increase it up top.
Originally Posted by Mikey@Spec-Ops
^ you correct about boost having a lot to do with tq but a lot of times people forget that timing has a lot to do with tq also

Mikey
All very true, but reducing timing to keep tq down, increases EGTs. Reducing boost to keep tq down, only helps to make the whole setup more efficient and doesnt increase EGTs.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 02:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Boosted Tuning
All very true, but reducing timing to keep tq down, increases EGTs. Reducing boost to keep tq down, only helps to make the whole setup more efficient and doesnt increase EGTs.
Like on my car I run -1 at peak. But who wants to reduce boost and sacrifice peak power? I don't... Unless you have a EBC where you can increase boost by rpm. Most people don't have that option so timing will be the "crutch" for lack of a better word.

Mikey
Old Jul 5, 2011, 02:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Like on my car I run -1 at peak. But who wants to reduce boost and sacrifice peak power? I don't... Unless you have a EBC where you can increase boost by rpm. Most people don't have that option so timing will be the "crutch" for lack of a better word.

Mikey
Yep, when you dont have RPM based boost control, then timing is the only way.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Mikey
But pretty much every modern car including the Evo has ECU based boost control On my 2005 Evo 8, I had to drop the boost in the mid-range because of the ****ty 91 oct Cali gas to avoid knock. The stock ecu boost map would spike to 24-26 psi depending with the more free flowing exhaust on the car due to error correction. I took out most of the error correction so that it essentially behaved like a MBC to get rid of the spikes and boost hunting the ECU would do, except I could control the boost level thru the entire rpm range. So I only ran about 21psi in the midrange and tapered to 19psi at redline.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 04:01 PM
Former Sponsor

I'm personally not a fan of ECU control based boost. At least not right now anyway. I thought about trying it on my car but have not got around to it. I like the ease of changing boost on the fly without flashing.

Mikey

Quick Reply: How long are the fp blacks lasting??