Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

How long are the fp blacks lasting??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2011, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How long are the fp blacks lasting??

So I thought I had made up my mind on getting an fp black. I would like more power up top, yet keep my tq lower to save the stock block. I want to retain stock frame turbo though. So the fp black fits that description. Although, a few days ago, I stumbled across a thread, where Robert from Fp says the expectancy from an fp black or red is only like 2 years? I dont wanna shell out 2250 for a black(with the oil line) and have to get a rebuild in that time.

Who is running the black and how long have you been running it with no issues?

Anthony
Old Jul 1, 2011, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had mine since January and have yet to report a problem. The turbo sees 36psi very frequently and hasn't given me any issues. Oil is Brad Penn 20-50.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

Its not like when I get one it will be seeing full boost on a daily basis. I occasionally take the car out on nice days, and almost every weekend. It will be beat on, on the weekends at the track, but thats mostly it.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 04:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you drive on it, you uses it up. Everything only lasts so long. The harder you drive on it the faster it wears out.
When it brakes you replace it, at least for you local guys its cheep, the fp red is a little over $4000 nzd.
My friend got a quote not too long ago.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 02:34 PM
Former Sponsor

OP, I have had my FP black for a year and it has never given me any problems. I also hold the FP Black world record of 750whp. I think if anyone was going to have a problem with the Black it would have been me. You just have to take care of it and it will last for a long time. I'm sending you a pm.

Mikey
Old Jul 2, 2011, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
even robert from forced performance said flat out, they dont have a long life expectancy. its still the same small center section and bearings as stock but with much bigger wheels.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 06:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Ya they won't last 100,000 but they will last much longer than an ebay honda turd.

Mikey
Old Jul 2, 2011, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mikey@Spec-Ops
Ya they won't last 100,000 but they will last much longer than an ebay honda turd.

Mikey
yeah, they should last a "while" but not to oem standards or as long as a quality ball bearing turbo.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

i just dont want a turbo that needs rebuilt every two years lol.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tsidrift1
i just dont want a turbo that needs rebuilt every two years lol.
how much boost, how much do you beat on it, how many miles a year?
Old Jul 2, 2011, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Well, Im on stock block, so 25-30psi on pumpgas. I really dont think ill have too much of a problem. It really only gets 'BEAT' on on the weekends that I go to the track.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 07:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by tsidrift1
Well, Im on stock block, so 25-30psi on pumpgas. I really dont think ill have too much of a problem. It really only gets 'BEAT' on on the weekends that I go to the track.
You will be fine. Just run the correct oil and get a kiggly HLA and you won't have any problems with your Black brother.

Mikey
Old Jul 2, 2011, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You will be fine. Just run the correct oil and get a kiggly HLA and you won't have any problems with your Black brother.

Mikey
hmmm still dont see the point in the kiggly hla i have asked several different vendors with same answer building cars for a minute and not required for longevity. Now i am highly considering getting a baffled oil pan.. Oh btw fp black installed 6 months nothing to report
Old Jul 2, 2011, 09:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by RockmanX
hmmm still dont see the point in the kiggly hla i have asked several different vendors with same answer building cars for a minute and not required for longevity. Now i am highly considering getting a baffled oil pan.. Oh btw fp black installed 6 months nothing to report
If you have not read this, you should. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...rth-doing.html

Also the venders that tell you that you don't need it, call them back and ask them if they know that the evo fills 2 quarts of oil in the head on 2-step without one. No oil in the pan = unhappy bearings and turbo. For 170 the HLA is well worth the money. The HLA also increases oil pressure which is a plus for all motors, espesially the stock motor running oil squarters. There is a lot of data to back it up Rock, no one is shooting from the hip here. 90% of drag cars have them. The oil pan is a good addition too, but a bit more $ unless you send Bushur your pan to mod. I honestly recommend both to my customers.

Just to name some vendors that recommed the HLA on most cars are:
English Racing
Bushur Racing
Kiggly Racing (One of the fastest 4G63 in the world)
STM
AWD
MAPerformance

Sounds like some reputable shops to me.

Mikey

Last edited by Mikey@Spec-Ops; Jul 2, 2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 09:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I also hold the FP Black world record of 750whp.

Mikey
I think when you mention this, you need to mention that your FP Black is a custom made single scroll one, NOT an off the shelf model. Not hating, Just saying

To the OP, like Mikey has said, they can last a good amount of time if you take the proper precautions, but you also need to realize that these are performance parts and performance parts never last as long as OEM. If you want OEM longevity, then stay with OEM turbos.

Quick Reply: How long are the fp blacks lasting??