Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Intermittent rod knock?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2011, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
I had an engine with rod knock (not a 4g63) and it only knocked at coast down. However, the noise this engine was making rapidly got louder.
Left for work early this mourning so I could test all situations and find when the noise happened. On a side note, apparently the lifters weren't done right when the hks cams were installed, and doing the 10secs of 3k rpm then idle for 30secs about 20 times has cured the tapping from the lifter under the head, which I'm very happy about. Now.....

This mourning, I found out it IS indeed the clutch making racket. With a stethoscope, I listened everywhere up top and heard nothing. I listened on the pan, and THANK GOD, heard nothing. Then I listened to the tranny....... ding ding ding ding. The clutch is clicking ever so slightly when coasting down, never repeatedly or predictably, just every so often, BUT i got it to click one time while I had the scope on it. I accredit the click to the triple disc clutch. Matter of fact, I couldn't MAKE it click at all while driving today before work, only the one time when sitting still and had the scope listening. So it is indeed the clutch, and I'm also not going to worry about replacing it as the triple disc is only a year or so old and is still SO damn strong, it's tuff to even push it in when shifting lol. I think it's the 3200lb variant. So after a night of no sleep worrying, it was for nothing, or atleast a small something, nothing major, and for THAT I am thankful, as I am very thankful for all the insightful posts you guys made to help me figure it out. I wish there was a rep button on this site so I could rep you guys up through the roof. FP BLACK bought today.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

Glad you got it figured out. My Exedy twin makes noise all the time. I've just learned to live with it.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 07:58 PM

good beans man you figured it out lucky you..
now slap on the fp black n play some show and tell lol
Old Jul 7, 2011, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

Thats great you can boost without worry now. Now just keep on working on getting your left leg bigger. Shift away!