Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Tomioka Racing TD06-20G

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2011, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cheap enough to give it a shot. Around $750 shipped if memory serves me correct.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 05:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigT
Exactly. I am on a budget. I wish I could afford a DBB Green. All in due time I guess. I thought about picking up a IX turbo, but something came up that cost about the same as a new or rebuilt IX.

With that said, a few weeks ago I purchased a Kando Dynamics TD06SL2 20g. It came with install kit, an 18psi wastegate actuator, and 3in surge ported compresssor cover. While doing some research, I found out that the compressor and turbine wheels measure in exactly the same as the Tomei ARMS turbo. Also, it seems that people and shops all over the world are using the Kando internal parts and turbine housings in their own fabrications. I will install it next week and will post back in this thread with my thoughts.
get a BBK Full and be done with it. cheaping out on car parts is never good. you end up spending more money in the long run buying cheap parts. trust me i've had turbo cars since i was 19.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Paintballguy
get a BBK Full and be done with it. cheaping out on car parts is never good. you end up spending more money in the long run buying cheap parts. trust me i've had turbo cars since i was 19.

My first car when I was 17 was a 2g turbo DSM. I fully understand about cheaping out. 2 DSM's, an Evo X, and now an Evo 8 later, i'm still here.

I did a ton of research prior to buying this turbo and i'm not too sure if its built cheaply. Like I stated earlier, lots of people use Komak turbo parts including vendors on this very website. I'm pretty sure all will be ok. If not, i'll throw my stock turbo back on and call it a day.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

My first car when I was 17 was a 2g turbo DSM. I fully understand about cheaping out. 2 DSM's, an Evo X, and now an Evo 8 later, i'm still here.

I did a ton of research prior to buying this turbo and i'm not too sure if its built cheaply. Like I stated earlier, lots of people use Komak turbo parts including vendors on this very website. I'm pretty sure all will be ok. If not, i'll throw my stock turbo back on and call it a day.

Sounds great dude,please update as soon as you can,would love to see a dyno chart,i have been considering different update options to my IX turbo as opposed to the other higher priced ones out there,i wouldn't mind trying this to stay under budget,thanks for the info.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 05:26 PM

Exactly. I am on a budget. I wish I could afford a DBB Green. All in due time I guess. I thought about picking up a IX turbo, but something came up that cost about the same as a new or rebuilt IX.

With that said, a few weeks ago I purchased a Kando Dynamics TD06SL2 20g. It came with install kit, an 18psi wastegate actuator, and 3in surge ported compresssor cover. While doing some research, I found out that the compressor and turbine wheels measure in exactly the same as the Tomei ARMS turbo. Also, it seems that people and shops all over the world are using the Kando internal parts and turbine housings in their own fabrications. I will install it next week and will post back in this thread with my thoughts.
Big T

Any updates on your Kando 20G install?

cheers
Arthur
Old Sep 29, 2011, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

No, not yet. Every weekend that I have planned to install, something has come up. My dad asked me to help him work on his house this coming weekend so hopefully the following.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

Waiting to see your results man ^^^ curious to see what #s it puts down
Old Sep 29, 2011, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

I hear ya man. I like to go out and try new things out also. Thats how people learn. Uve stated you done your research and are on a budget, so that tells eveyone ur not going to be dropping 2500k on a turbo right? If i recall correctly, lots of people thought the the FPwhite ( not bunny) was a waste when it cam out, and i found it to be a good upgrade for the 700 buks i spent. Used even. Anyway, let us know how it turns out. Get an open dump o2, or at least get one of MAP's routed open dump dp's. Good luck man.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Turbojunkie
I hear ya man. I like to go out and try new things out also. Thats how people learn. Uve stated you done your research and are on a budget, so that tells eveyone ur not going to be dropping 2500k on a turbo right? If i recall correctly, lots of people thought the the FPwhite ( not bunny) was a waste when it cam out, and i found it to be a good upgrade for the 700 buks i spent. Used even. Anyway, let us know how it turns out. Get an open dump o2, or at least get one of MAP's routed open dump dp's. Good luck man.
Thank you for the kind words.

Yes, $2500 turbo is way out of my budget at this moment. I'm trying to save for a house. I'm lucky I spent all that I did recently.

I'll give a little background on my car.

2005 SSL GSR

HKS 264/272 cams
stock block/head outside of the cams
3 inch TBE
stock o2 housing, ex manifold
Injen intake and UICP
Half ams knock off/half greddy LICP
Buschur Street FMIC
Walbro 255pump
ACT clutch

With the above mods, I put down 350/340 on 93 octane according to VD. I've trapped 113, but that was with 1 degree less max timing and less into the curve.

I recently installed some FIC 850's and have ordered a Kando short runner exhaust manifold(identical to the MAP short runner manifold) as well as an Invidia o2 housing. the turbo, manifold, and housing will be installed at the same time. Is it a complete and fair comparison to my stock turbo numbers? No. But, it will still be a good comparison. I'll run a fresh pull through VD and give a direct comparison once i'm done tuning the new setup. Unfortunately, I do not have a MAP sensor so boost reference will be me eye balling my gauge.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 05:48 AM
Evolved Member

Here is a crappy cell phone picture.
Attached Thumbnails Tomioka Racing TD06-20G-turbo.jpg  
Old Sep 30, 2011, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I never knew of the 20G finding a home in the EVO scene.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here is a crappy cell phone picture.
$750 and it came with the hotside and actuator? That doesn't sound bad at all. Bolt that bish on!
Old Sep 30, 2011, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by grillpt
$750 and it came with the hotside and actuator? That doesn't sound bad at all. Bolt that bish on!
And from the picture, it also has the 3" anti-surge set up.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by grillpt
I had a little trouble with the setting the preload on the actuator, but it was an easy fix. I'll post better pictures later. 18psi actuator too with a 25psi option.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

I had a little trouble with the setting the preload on the actuator, but it was an easy fix. I'll post better pictures later. 18psi actuator too with a 25psi option.
It just amazes me that there are not many threads about this turbo as it seems to fall between the stock IX turbo and the FP White turbos respectively.

Quick Reply: Tomioka Racing TD06-20G