Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Tomioka Racing TD06-20G

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2011, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My goal is 400~420whp on 93 octane. Unforunately, E85 is not readily available in NJ.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BigT
My goal is 400~420whp on 93 octane. Unforunately, E85 is not readily available in NJ.
That is not too shabby. Fortunately, we have E85 all over Arizona.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Just a few more. One pic shows the entire install kit that was included.
Attached Thumbnails Tomioka Racing TD06-20G-2.jpg   Tomioka Racing TD06-20G-1.jpg   Tomioka Racing TD06-20G-3.jpg  
Old Oct 10, 2011, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Install was completed this weekend....

First two pics are in comparison to my stock 2005 turbo. Sorry, one is a little blurry, but posting it up for size comparison.

Installed

And lastly, just before I buttoned her all up.

Install was a breeze outside of other issues. (broke a manifold stud) The instal kit was flawless. I did have to modify my LICP, but only because my greddy outlet was made for an 8 turbo and made contact with the starter when trying to bolt it on. The outlet that came with the kit worked well and lined up perfect with my old ebay LICP and coupler.

Initial driving impressions... First, the anti-sure cover is loud. Really loud. I mean, it whistles pretty good even in vacuum. Once the turbo actually starts to spool, it changes to a more vacuum cleaner type sound. Takes more throttle to equal the responce of the stock turbo. (As it should due to its larger size) I'm running off wastegate pressure (18psi) and starting at 2.5k in 3rd, I see full boost at 3700rpm. No spike, no nothing. It hit 18 and held it there. I was running my stock turbo at 25~26 psi so there is no power comparison just yet. No surging in 3rd and some in 4th. I mean, the comp cover is doing its job, but I can tell that it wants to surge at anything below 3300rpm. No bucking or crazy noises or anything like that.

I don't have much more to add. I'll be driving around at this boost level for the remainder of the week just to make sure all is well. Haven't had any hiccups so far outside of a coolant leak at one of the turbo's lines, but that was repaired with a better clamp. (knock on wood) I also had to order new spark plug boots as I found tears and burn markes in both of mine. Once I'm confident, I will turn up the boost and see what happens. I'm aiming for atleast 25psi on 93 octane and as close as possible to 400whp.

Last edited by BigT; Oct 10, 2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 02:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't understand why people knock the TS 20G. Hell, there are people running 11.4s in heavy Galant VR4s with a 16g and no N20?
Old Oct 11, 2011, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8emUp
I don't understand why people knock the TS 20G. Hell, there are people running 11.4s in heavy Galant VR4s with a 16g and no N20?
It really comes down to $$ per horsepower and there are better options out there today. But, the price I paid is excellent. If this turbo delivers, it might be the best bang for buck upgrade out there.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigT
It really comes down to $$ per horsepower and there are better options out there today. But, the price I paid is excellent. If this turbo delivers, it might be the best bang for buck upgrade out there.
BigT

Thanks for the update, your engine bay looks really neat as well. Can't wait for another update @25psi :-) Would love to see a comparisopn of spoool difference between stock and 20G.

BTW, what exhaust manifold are you running?

Arthur
Old Oct 11, 2011, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

Seeing that exhaust manifold on a evo makes me sad.

Arthur Sid, it's called either a, GT Spec, Xavier, Synergy, MAP or any other handfull of other names that get slapped on them, all exactly the same product, they crack like crazy.

The turbo seems decent and a definate upgrade over a VIII turbo though.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

In for Updates. Awesome price
Old Oct 11, 2011, 04:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
this seems to be the upgrade is you already have a spare ix turbo, who wants to test it out on high boost?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_1596wt_732
Old Oct 11, 2011, 04:47 PM
ddb
Evolving Member

In for results!!!
Old Oct 11, 2011, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ct9asilver
Seeing that exhaust manifold on a evo makes me sad.

Arthur Sid, it's called either a, GT Spec, Xavier, Synergy, MAP or any other handfull of other names that get slapped on them, all exactly the same product, they crack like crazy.

The turbo seems decent and a definate upgrade over a VIII turbo though.
I like this manifold because the price is good for the gains. One of the main reason's why I bought the Invidia o2 housing is because it has a provision to mount it to the block like stock. I'm hoping that can/will help relieve any stresses on the manifold. I had a good buddy of mine, (who welds for a living) look at the manifold and he was amazed on how well it was put together.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 12:35 AM
Evolved Member

The so called "cracking" of the ebay manifolds is overblown.

In for updates too! Good job BigT
Old Oct 12, 2011, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nightwalker
The so called "cracking" of the ebay manifolds is overblown.

In for updates too! Good job BigT
I'm not too sure if MAP would brand it under their name if it was a peice of junk. Their in house dyno testing has proved the validity of it none the less.

Well, I found a few boost leaks that I'm not too sure of how long I had and fixed them and my plug wires should be in today. Its more than likely going to rain, but i'm hoping it holds off until late tonight. As of last night, I'm getting 20psi by 3600rpm. It seems to spool almost exactly like my stock turbo did. However, the power is definitely NOT there down low. (or anywhere for that matter because i'm not tuning it just yet) Stock turbo's are torque monsters and this turbo, is not.

Some more driving impressions....

While driving on the highway, the turbo whistles pretty loud if you are not at an exact steady state of cruise. I live in the mountains of NJ so all our highways are on a constant grade change. There is this one particular stretch of road on route 208 that turns into a rather large uphill slope and crusing in 5th at around 60~65mph required a downshift to pass or even to pick up speed in general. Applying more throttle was required to stay at constant speed. Again, this is a rather unusually large hill for a highway so i'm not expecting things to get worse. There was no surging, but you can feel the turbo trying to battle it out. If my speed was 70mph or faster, i'm sure all would have been well. For reference, my stock turbo acted nearly the same on this same road. The on ramp I use is exactly at the botton of the hill and I would keep it in 4th until the very top before I would shift into 5th.

I plan on doing some more test driving tonight as well as apply some boost and timing. As long as it doesn't rain, i'll have another update later.

Last edited by BigT; Oct 12, 2011 at 06:23 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 08:23 PM
Evolving Member

nice! im in for the final tune.

Quick Reply: Tomioka Racing TD06-20G