Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Big oil pressure problem?!? please help

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Big oil pressure problem?!? please help

Last week my car started having the typical flickering oil lamp problem at idle. Soon after that I would drive the car and get intermittent periods when i should have been on boost, and the car would bog down and not create boost (as if the turbo was not spooling).

So with my day off on friday, I pulled the car in and did an oil change as I remembered i had 5w30 in from the winter 3000 miles ago. I also did a boost leak test and checked the turbo for any shaft play etc, everything seemed to be in order (possibly some extra shaft play from last time i checked).

Buttoned it back up and the car drove fine on fri and sat however i hadn't really got on it at all until yesterday. I put my foot in it a bit and had the same bog down lagging issue with lack of power so I got off of it. Then a min later nearing the house got on it again for a second and felt the same issue and then immediately after heard a large amount of valvetrain noise (sounds like lifters that needed to be bled) in the head when give gas i shut the car off and its sitting since.

Checked the turbo and found a large amount of in and out play, enough that when pulled towards the shaft towards the inlet i can get the turbine to contact the housing slightly.

Could this be a oil pump on its way out? as the turbo draws from the head and the turbo seemed to lose oil first (assuming that the lag was a lack of oil flowing to the bearing) and then the head making noise after that. Along with the oil lamp coming on at idle which i figured may have been the sensor however i believe it was accurately showing low pressure

Also when i cheacked oil levels it shows all of the oil is in the pan, when I did the change friday I was right on the upper notch on my stick. Now im approx a quart or less high which would corelate to the pan normally holding 4.6 qt and head cooler etc holding a 5.4qt total, i used 5.4qt with my change and it was fine. I use mobil1 synthetic and the m1-110 filter which are supposed to have anti bleedback valves in them so i have to wonder if my oil pump stopped working and the oil somehow made it back to the pan?

car has all basic bolt on ons it is an 03 with 32k on it any help would be great thanks!

Last edited by stanlsha; Jul 12, 2011 at 04:16 AM. Reason: poor readability
Old Jul 11, 2011, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

bump
Old Jul 11, 2011, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will try to recover from the headache of your run on sentences with no periods (pet peeve) THEN I will try to help you.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

haha i apologize i had posted the original thread from my phone. any help would be appreciated and if you prefer i will edit my sentence structure in the prior post.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 03:54 AM
Evolving Member

bump
Old Jul 12, 2011, 04:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 332 Likes on 132 Posts
yes, edit your post.
this way it's not a chore for people to try and help you